• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Comicon - Sunday November 12th

39 posts in this topic

man we need some kentucky shows, you NC guys seem to always have shows going on.

You arent far from the truth. Last count I made we had:

2 Hickory shows (20 minutes from my house)

4 Charlotte shows excluding Heroe's (1hr 20 minutes from home)

Heroe's cloud9.gif

Part's Unknown in Greensboro (2 hours away)

A couple of Raleigh shows (too damn far and low class for me)

Then there are some shows down in the Up-State of SC.

Little con report:

First, I didnt go with the intention of buying anything, and then only Picture Frames Caps. I did buy a Picture Frame Subby from finecomics for $2.50 and was my only purchase. I went to hang out and chat with the local boardies and from that aspect, I was very succesful thumbsup2.gif

I get to the show about 9:50 and follow Sal and Jeff (finecomics) in and chat with them for a little bit. I half asssed looked through Jeff's boxes and find a Subby Picture Frame that I made my only con purchase. Sal and Jeff were busy setting up the booth, so I pushed on.

Stopped by Gene Carpenters booth and began talking with him. He didnt bring his Marvel back stock, only DC, and as I didnt have the $$$ to buy any nice DC's that Gene usually has.

Met up with Buckeyechaos and Craig and I walked around for a while. We were waylayed by Chriss Foss with more stories about complete Marvel collections he was buying or had bought recently wink.gif After another customer came up and got Chris' attention, Craig and I were able to slide away without any further acosting.

Eventually we ran into Sal with some Terp fan screwy.gif named Chrisco yay.gif We start chatting and in walks RAHIGH yay.gif and after Sal retires back to finecomics booth (he was helping Jeff since his wife is 7months pregnant) we go out into the lobby and show off some books we had brought and Chrisco goes and gets his art portfolio. Some really really cool stuff he has. After we gawk at his stuff we go back in and start wandering around again. We talk shop and as Chris knows sooo much about the newer stuff, it was a lot of one sided converation as I just listened to him. He has convinced me I need to read some of the Ultimates trades and other modern stuff. thumbsup2.gif

After we walk around a little longer, Chris and I head off (Craig and Rick either had to leave or do more shopping) to eat lunch. We stop at this nice pizza place and commence to eating some of the best wings I have ever had, enjoy a beer or two and destroy one of the best white sauce pizza's ive ever had. It also doesnt hurt that the Skins/Eagles game was on, unless you remember the fact that Chris is a Foreskins fan poke2.gif About 2 hours later we head back to the show, I get my car and head on back to Lenoir.

Had a blast as usual, and as per the norm of any show I go to, hanging out with the other forumites was the best part.

Arex

Gene sets up a lot at the local Philly show. Overgrades, overprices. Nice guy though.
I agree that he is aggressive on his prices. I dont think that I have ever bought from Gene as he falls into the "Prices are so high that I dont want to even make an offer" category.

For example, he had a Marvel Feature #2 in VF/NM maybe NM- for $100 (2nd Defenders if I named the title wrong)

Arex

Great report and good to see you today, Arex.

This is one of the best mini-cons in the South. Kudos to capt. comics for running a first rate one day convention. The quantity and quality of the books at today's show was just outstanding. There were several newly acquired collections at the show today. David S. had some great Golden Age books, including Flash and Action, and the first three issues of Planet Comics (which were absolutely beautiful!!). He also had a bunch of new SA books. I wanted to buy several books from him, but by the time I got around to his booth I had no money left. Several other dealers also had new books that I had not seen before. One dealer had some very nice early GA Batman in nice shape. Issues that I remember were 11 and 15, but there were several others. This dealer also had a couple of the books from a new collection which included a sweet Daredevil #1 and ASM 129 and Hulk 181 that we both felt were at least 9.6 copies. They were gorgeous (and on their way to CGC). I was able to pick up a couple of nice books (Rip Hunter #1 and Strange Tales #107). Got to sit down and chat with Rick F. for a while. Thanks for putting on a great con, Rick. Also spent quite a while talking comics with Gene Carpenter (All-American Comics). He is a pleasure to talk comics with. Very knowledgeable and a super-nice guy. Got to talk with John Hitchcock (Parts Unknown) about his new book Dear John, a compulation of sketches and letters by the great Alex Toth. Got to meet several other board members. Chrisco brought his portfolio of original art. Some awesome stuff!! Sal got to actually hold my copy of Brave & Bold #31 (Cave Carson), which I brought just for him. I'm still wiping the droll off that book, Sal. We also got to discuss, again, his views on Captain America #110. poke2.gif

We do have our share of great comic book shows in this area. Next month, as Arex said, is the Parts Unknown show in Greensboro, and, I believe there's BIG news for comic fans in this area coming in January, so, stay tuned guys!

BTW, Arex, you have some beautiful books. Thanks for sharing. cloud9.gif

Show was fun! Some decent stuff there and a pretty good turnout. It was great meeting some of the NC forumites. As Arex said, had a good lunch down off 7th Street.

I wasn't in buying mode, so I didn't really check out many prices. Mostly the usual standard "wall books", although one guy had a pretty cool display of quite a few Marvel Mystery's that, in my experiences, is usually reserved for the big shows.

I did manage to find a really nice copy of Hansi, The Girl who Loved the Swastika for a price that I couldn't pass up, so I did end up buying something. Nobody at the show, though, had any brand new books (I've forgotten to pick up the last 2 issues of the new Ant Man and was hoping to find those there).

It was a blast meeting some of the guys and checking out some really great books of Arex and Rahigh's. Looking forward to doing it again. smile.gif

it was great to see all you knuckleheads again, even the guys i hadn't met before. maybe not so much Arex, as he didn't buy that book i brought in just for him. poke2.gif

i'll echo RAHIGH's kudos to Rick and Dave for once again setting up and running a great one day show even if 99% of the people there are only looking for 50c and dollar books. confused-smiley-013.gif cheap 893censored-thumb.gif town, i swear.

Rick, you have to scan that ST 107...and any other books from that collection that find their way into your home. it's a sweet copy, even if it is a Marvel SA book. blegh. poke2.gif

Arex, the place you guys went to is Hawthorne Pizza. i wholeheartedly recommend this spot for anyone coming down to Crown Town for Heroes next year. we actually at there this evening after the con. it's so much better than Uno's

it was great to see all you knuckleheads again, even the guys i hadn't met before. maybe not so much Arex, as he didn't buy that book i brought in just for him. poke2.gif

i'll echo RAHIGH's kudos to Rick and Dave for once again setting up and running a great one day show even if 99% of the people there are only looking for 50c and dollar books. confused-smiley-013.gif cheap 893censored-thumb.gif town, i swear.

Rick, you have to scan that ST 107...and any other books from that collection that find their way into your home. it's a sweet copy, even if it is a Marvel SA book. blegh. poke2.gif

Arex, the place you guys went to is Hawthorne Pizza. i wholeheartedly recommend this spot for anyone coming down to Crown Town for Heroes next year. we actually at there this evening after the con. it's so much better than Uno's

You know Sal, that might be a good place for us to have our forum dinner next year. It looks like they would take reservations perhaps. Not too far away and some of the best wings. Did I mention that 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I couldn't agree with Arex more about how cool it was to meet the fellow forumites. Special thanks to sharing the cooling books and art thumbsup2.gif

I look forward to seeing you guys at the next con and there sure seems to be plenty in the area.

ps

Welcome to Chrisco is recently relocated down to Charlotte! You will love it here!

Thanks to all you guys for coming. I'm glad you had a great time.

We'll be doing the next one in May. More info to come later.

Shelton is running a January show this year to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first Charlotte Mini-Con. And as Rick mentioned there may be a big announcement forthcoming about a "Major" comic collection that has turned up. Stay tuned. You heard it here first.

Nice meeting you guys as well. Wish I had more time to hang around the room, but running the booth and keeping Sal inline is a tough job. But somehow we managed to sell 30 boxes 893whatthe.gif

We ate at that same place to, very good thumbsup2.gif

See you guys next year

guys I was there too,spend most of my time with David(first table on left in the door). Talked with Rick a little as we was watching my box of books I got. Purchased about 50 total, most Xmen and Amazing Spiderman high grade, put one book on layaway with David and picked up 20 or so from Chris Foss, I aways pick up books and put others on layaway from hime. Sorry I didn't meet any of you guys, just dont know what each looks like, but I will be in Greensboro on the 2nd.

Just have to make sure we get up with you guys.