• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Framed Original Batman TV Script, Batman #183 & TV Promo Card

4 posts in this topic

In addition to selling comic books I also enjoy creating comic-related items. Offered here is the original -script used by guest star Allen Ludden from episode 51 ("Hizzoner The Penguin") of season two of the hit television series Batman & Robin. It is accompanied by a copy of Batman #183, the cover of which makes the connection obvious, and an original promotional card from the series.

The plate reads:

Original -script used by guest star Allen Ludden

Season Two, Episode 51

First aired November 2, 1966

COST: $1,000 + shipping (free insurance)

For additional scans, please contact me.

1474126-Full-Image.jpg

1474128-Batman-183.rev.jpg

1474129-Script.jpg1474130-Batman-TV-Promo.jpg

Information on Allen Ludden from Wikipedia:

Allen Ludden (October 5, 1918 – June 9, 1981) was an American television presenter and game show host. He was born Allen Packard Ellsworth in Mineral Point, Wisconsin. The surname Ludden was his stepfather's.

Ludden hosted many game shows, including the GE College Bowl, but he was most famous for hosting both the daytime and primetime versions of Password on CBS and ABC between 1961 and 1975. He started hosting an updated version of the game, Password Plus on NBC, in 1979, but illness forced him off the show in 1980. Other shows hosted by Ludden include Liar's Club and Stumpers!

Ludden, a Roman Catholic, was a widower with three children – his wife, the former Margaret McGloin, had died from cancer in 1961 – when he proposed to the twice-divorced Betty White, whom he had met on Password, at least twice before she accepted, and they were happily married from June 14, 1963 until Ludden's death. They appeared together in an episode of The Odd Couple featuring Felix's and Oscar's appearance on Password.

He received the 1961 Horatio Alger Award.

Ludden died from stomach cancer at the age of 62.

He was posthumously awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame next to his widow's star.

In 2001, TV Guide named Ludden the greatest game-show host of all time.

Plot Summary for "Batman": Hizzoner the Penguin (1966)

The Penguin appears to have gone straight. (Evidently the citizens of Gotham City have short memories; he tried the same trick in season one.) Not only that, he has emerged as the leading contender for mayor of Gotham City, thanks to a little-known provision of the city charter that permits felons to run for elective office. Mayor Linseed, facing almost certain defeat, convinces Batman to run for mayor. This displeases the Penguin, who doesn't want to leave anything to chance. He lures Batman and Robin into a trap and, by episode's end, things don't look good for the Dynamic Duo.

NOTE: I see on different websites there is a conflict as to the exact episode this might have been. One website identifies it as Season 2, Episode 17. If the current plate is in error I will have it corrected first.

DISCLAIMER: The -script is guaranteed authentic. I cannot guarantee that this copy was absolutely used by Ludden but that is my belief. In any event, the listed price in no way takes into account whose -script copy it was or might have been. This information is extraneously provided as nothing more than an interesting tidbit.

I'd also appreciate any feedback from people regarding the price I have set for this item. Constructive feedback please!

The piece looks beautiful.

The only issues I see are:

1) that the character played by the original owner of the -script was a "bit" player that most fans would never recognize by name.

2) that the promo card itself is nice looking, but a real signed 8x10 is what collectors are looking for here. If these are actual autographs I apologize for the mistake. I assume since you did not mention actual autographs that this was a facsimile auto'd promo piece.

When I buy something like this I try to figure what the components are worth plus framing.

If you took a Batman 183 in NM shape you are looking at $140-ish, the promo photo is probably about $20-25 (going by the fact that I can get an actually signed 8x10 photo by West and Ward in costume for about $25-35), the -script is original but unsigned by major players (unless it is signed on the interior and we can't see it) and being that I have bought scripts at auction before, I can't see this -script being more than $50-75.

To kick this up a notch you would need a principal player or multi-character signed original -script and a signed cast photo to go with it.

So, as it is, you are looking at approx $250 in component parts plus framing (which looks great by the way).

I would be thrilled to hang something like this this in my house.

Chris

I'd also appreciate any feedback from people regarding the price I have set for this item. Constructive feedback please!

The piece looks beautiful.

The only issues I see are:

1) that the character played by the original owner of the -script was a "bit" player that most fans would never recognize by name.

2) that the promo card itself is nice looking, but a real signed 8x10 is what collectors are looking for here. If these are actual autographs I apologize for the mistake. I assume since you did not mention actual autographs that this was a facsimile auto'd promo piece.

When I buy something like this I try to figure what the components are worth plus framing.

If you took a Batman 183 in NM shape you are looking at $140-ish, the promo photo is probably about $20-25 (going by the fact that I can get an actually signed 8x10 photo by West and Ward in costume for about $25-35), the -script is original but unsigned by major players (unless it is signed on the interior and we can't see it) and being that I have bought scripts at auction before, I can't see this -script being more than $50-75.

To kick this up a notch you would need a principal player or multi-character signed original -script and a signed cast photo to go with it.

So, as it is, you are looking at approx $250 in component parts plus framing (which looks great by the way).

I would be thrilled to hang something like this this in my house.

Chris

Chris, I appreciate your comments, which is exactly the type of opinion I was looking for!

I paid more for the -script and promo card but less for the comic as it is not NM. I agree on the real signatures. If it doesn't sell in its current state I can get Burt Ward to sign it as I know him. Of course, as you state, it is not that difficult to get the surviving characters to sign when $$$ is involved.