• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: Blazing Combat #1 question

30 posts in this topic

I called Gary Dolgoff today and asked him the same question I put to Doug Sulipa. He felt in no way able to make a guess on the number of copies out there BUT he did say if anyone knows "Doug-ee would!"

With respect to Doug S.'s statement that 250,000 copies of Blazing Combat #1 were produced....... well, that's just not likely. I shy away from saying it's totally incorrect, because no one really knows, but a 250,000 press run of Blazing Combat #1 would have been bad business for Jim Warren, and Jim Warren was anything but a bad business man.

The most prolific press run of Warrens was the FM #1, with two printings. One just needs to take a look at the production figures, required by law, in any Warren Mag circa 1965. From memory, bi monthly FMs were around 150,000 copies - and that was at the height of the monster craze. Creepy and Eerie were running less.

Then, why would Warren run off more Blazing Combat #1 than his horror staples? Other non horror entries, Screen Thrills Illustrated, Wildest Westerns, Spacemen were failures, or well on their way. Knowing what history tells us about Warren, the real Blazing Combat #1 production run was well under 250,000 copies - my wild *spoon* guess - 100,000 or less.

Guys,

First off I will admit I'm not a collector. I just have a couple that I have come across in an old box in the attic. I have a copy of Blazing Combat #1 and a copy of Psycho vol1 no 1 that both have had the top 3 inches of the covers cut off. I know from my putting a 1957 Baseball set together that condition is everything, so my question is are these 2 mags worth anything to you guys?

Mike B

I remember back in the 60s, if you had a store, and the magazine or newspaper didn't sell in a certain amout of time, all the shop owner had to do to get a refund for non sales was cut the top header off magazines and the papers. I would guess this is what happened to these...

I remember back in the 60s, if you had a store, and the magazine or newspaper didn't sell in a certain amout of time, all the shop owner had to do to get a refund for non sales was cut the top header off magazines and the papers. I would guess this is what happened to these...

sure sounds like it.

nice find thumbsup2.gif