• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

At times though this thread does dig up comic page that are better completely forgotten ... Mr. Creepers - Eeeewwwww -

Interesting find!

That's actually a caricature of Wally (Underdog) Cox as "Mr. Peepers," an old TV series.

From Terrific Comics 16? I didn't know that series had comedy features. Any idea who drew it?

Jack

51365-Terrific16-MrCreepers.jpg

And before I get deluged with requests :whistle: for interior shots of the "moto sled" I shall show a page here...

2217152138_3e3d7ef484_o.jpg

Yikes! Great stuff.

Good move to anticipate my deluge.

I especially like the "Cyclops prototype" feature with light shining from the mutant reindeers' eyes. Does that make this a "headlights cover"? Looks like a possible Mary Jane crossover too -- and it's the Blimp, Frank, the Blimp!

Jack

(take me to Zooville)

And before I get deluged with requests :whistle: for interior shots of the "moto sled" I shall show a page here...

2217152138_3e3d7ef484_o.jpg

Yikes! Great stuff.

Good move to anticipate my deluge.

I especially like the "Cyclops prototype" feature with light shining from the mutant reindeers' eyes. Does that make this a "headlights cover"? Looks like a possible Mary Jane crossover too -- and it's the Blimp, Frank, the Blimp!

Jack

(take me to Zooville)

Captain Beefheart.... :cloud9:

i'll be in candytown

Humbug -- scarce early Kurtzman, Wood, Heath, Davis -- short bus??? Send me all your short bus junk like that one!

Henry on the other hand? I'm afraid he has a reserved seat, even though Anderson is a very clean cartoonist. But wait -- is that a magic mirror is this is a Dadaist cover?

Jack

(Is it true that Henry auditioned for the lead in a theatrical version of Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream"?)

I'm finally going through a few boxes, to make some space and decided to scan the letter "H" and list them somewhere...

Surely these belong here;) I have a Howard the Duck, too...but I think he's too new;)

humbug0001.jpg

henrynov0001.jpg

Henry on the other hand? I'm afraid he has a reserved seat, even though Anderson is a very clean cartoonist. But wait -- is that a magic mirror is this is a Dadaist cover?

Jack

(Is it true that Henry auditioned for the lead in a theatrical version of Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream"?)

Henry is a better strip than you give it credit for. I've seen far worse many other places. In the grand scheme of things, I think we should give him a seat in the front of the bus. You should also check out the article on Henry in a recent Hogan's Alley. I learned quite a bit about the character's creation IIRC. Okay, okay, stop the deluge already ... I'll scan it tonight if I haven't already done so and posted it somewhere around here ...

Then again after a quick search I do agree that there is something surrealist about this cover that has a touch of the recently-departed Mime Marceau -

1723646-FC122ed.jpg

Jack

Henry is a better strip than you give it credit for. I've seen far worse many other places. In the grand scheme of things, I think we should give him a seat in the front of the bus. You should also check out the article on Henry in a recent Hogan's Alley. I learned quite a bit about the character's creation IIRC. Okay, okay, stop the deluge already ... I'll scan it tonight if I haven't already done so and posted it somewhere around here ...

Actually, I agree. Classic pantomime (but not in the comic books) strip.

Then again after a quick search I do agree that there is something surrealist about this cover that has a touch of the recently-departed Mime Marceau -

1723646-FC122ed.jpg

Where on earth did you come up with a SCARCE variant copy like that? It must be worth a fortune.

:baiting:

Jack

Next you'll try to tell me that you've seen that Ellison joke before!

Bob Swift, Boy Sportsman from Fawcett in September 1951. Norm Saunders cover, not in Gerber.

51427-BobSwift3.jpg

Nice artwork inside! Here's a pretty splash panel. I don't know who drew it -- can anyone ID?

51428-BobSwiftpage.jpg

Jack

For those interested, here's the Henry article. (The second page scan is smaller by choice) -

Thanks for the Henry article. All those words.... will have to read it later.

Jack

I know I know but take the time to read it for the back-story about Carl Anderson. It's worth it.

For those interested, here's the Henry article. (The second page scan is smaller by choice) -

Great article on Anderson, Scrooge! Thanks for posting this.

I have to disagree, however, with Foster's assertion that Anderson avoided the typical negative black stereotypes - all I see in the examples he has provided are the typical stereotypes of the period. While there are no witch doctors or cannibals, you have an "Aunt Jemima" type maid, a cook, "pickininny" children, a mahmout elephant driver, the "black minstral" ("the blak hed is musekal"), watermelon, etc.

I will agree, however, that Anderson's depictions of black people do not seem to be particularly mean-spirited - certainly not as mean-spirited as other works from the period. He also seems to be focusing on the similarities between the races, rather than the perceived differences - the fact that kids are kids regardless of their "color." In fact he seems to play with the concept of "racial role-reversal" in one strip where the black kids are being turned white and another in which Henry is turned black. Whether this was a conscious thing on Anderson's part is impossible to say, but it seems the message he is sending is that "race" is only skin-deep. This would certainly set him apart from many of his contemporaries and it is probably this distinction that has set him apart in Foster's mind.

Great food for thought! (thumbs u

Great article on Anderson, Scrooge! Thanks for posting this.

I have to disagree, however, with Foster's assertion that Anderson avoided the typical negative black stereotypes - all I see in the examples he has provided are the typical stereotypes of the period. While there are no witch doctors or cannibals, you have an "Aunt Jemima" type maid, a cook, "pickininny" children, a mahmout elephant driver, the "black minstral" ("the blak hed is musekal"), watermelon, etc.

I will agree, however, that Anderson's depictions of black people do not seem to be particularly mean-spirited - certainly not as mean-spirited as other works from the period. He also seems to be focusing on the similarities between the races, rather than the perceived differences - the fact that kids are kids regardless of their "color." In fact he seems to play with the concept of "racial role-reversal" in one strip where the black kids are being turned white and another in which Henry is turned black. Whether this was a conscious thing on Anderson's part is impossible to say, but it seems the message he is sending is that "race" is only skin-deep. This would certainly set him apart from many of his contemporaries and it is probably this distinction that has set him apart in Foster's mind.

Great food for thought! (thumbs u

Yes, interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I'd have to agree that Anderson did use the stereotypes, but probably just because they were part of the fabric of popular culture at the time. He didn't use them negatively though -- there's nothing negative about being "musikal" or a cook, and the childish spelling is usually (always?) Henry's own. In fact, the most upper-middle class characters we see are the family headed to the ice creram parlor, and Henry is presumably poorer since he's mooching off them. Anderson didn't use the black characters as the butt of every joke, which would not have been unusual at the time.

Jack

I'm glad you found it as interesting as I did and I appreciate both of your comments on the author's position. In fact, the article theme is really dropped out quite quickly in favor of Anderson's background. I am more of a fact-guy so that's the part that interested me the most ... hence I am glad you put up your own analysis (thumbs u

Little Audrey isn't a huge series so hop here she goes onto the short Bus. After all, her riding the Short Bus isn't that surprising since (all info according to the Toonopedia) she was conceived from the get-go as an also-ran to replace Little Lulu by the execs at Famous Studios so as not to pay the licensing fees for said Little Lulu ... Little Audrey did better in comics than on the screen being published steadily from 1948 to 1976. First by St John as here then seamlessly by Harvey continuing St John's numbering (last St John issue is # 24).

I am also attaching a page reflective of the feeling in the '50's that we had entered into a new enlightment era where sciences were going to revolutionize the way we lived and as Audrey thought even the way magic should work. A Jack Bonus: partial chemical structure involved! -

51669-LittleAudrey21s.jpg.6b84b6ba7af20ed161d4e223051d1bfb.jpg

51670-LittleAudrey21Story2Pages.jpg.414bf13aace1e07a7e5fe2e3d98fee50.jpg

Little Audrey isn't a huge series so hop here she goes onto the short Bus. ....

I am also attaching a page reflective of the feeling in the '50's that we had entered into a new enlightment era where sciences were going to revolutionize the way we lived and as Audrey thought even the way magic should work. A Jack Bonus: partial chemical structure involved! -

Yes, I'm afraid no one's going to argue that Audrey's not Short Bus material.

Thanks for the page. Very odd structure fragment! Story inspired partly by Donald Duck, Mad Chemist? What's that thing after the lambda? Part of a circuit diagram?

Jack

51670-LittleAudrey21Story2Pages.jpg