• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

I Love Lucy has beaucoup love on ebay. Even the reprints.

I've got to disagree w/u on this one, seleague.

==========================================

This thread has strayed from the truly oddball.

First post:

A home for all the misfit GA books that get no love....

Seems to be reaching in order to post.

Here you go. Like this:

A053.jpg

PINKY LEE (THE ADVENTURES OF) #2, VG ATLAS 1955

*SCARCE* TEEN HUMOR

STAN LEE SCRIPTS

MORRIS WEISS COVER/STORY ART

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pinky Lee (May 2, 1907, Saint Paul, Minnesota–April 3, 1993, Mission Viejo, California), born Pincus Leff, was a male burlesque comic and host of the children's television program, The Pinky Lee Show in the early 1950s.

Lee worked as comic of the "baggy pants" variety on stage, becoming an expert at the slapstick, comic dancing and rapid-fire jokes of the burlesque style. During the 1940s, he was heard on Drene Time and other radio programs.

Easily recognized by his trademark lisp and his high-energy antics, his signature costume was a loud plaid suit with baggy checkered pants and an undersized hat. During his routines, whenever anybody irritated him (which happened frequently) he would unleash his catchphrase: "Oooooh! You make me so mad!"

Reportedly, comic actor Paul “Pee-Wee Herman” Reubens intentionally based his nerdy alter ego on Pinky Lee and his TV series, PEE-WEE’S PLAYHOUSE, on THE PINKY LEE SHOW!

From Scott Shaw's Oddball Comics Website

But here’s an Oddball Comics exclusive: a unique eyewitness account of Pinky Lee’s darkest TV hour by my friend Alison Julian, an immensely talented children’s book author/illustrator and highly regarded animation background painter. Alison refers to her all-too-true story as “Poor Pincus”:

“When I was about nine, I belonged to a Brownie troop. For a reason which is lost to the ages, we were invited to be in the audience of the Pinky Lee show. Remember, television was then a fairly new medium, and being ON TEEVEE was a big deal.

“During the (commercial) break, Pinky Lee sat in the empty seat just below mine, and promptly melted down. He began to sob. His managers tried to put him back together again, but he kept crying ‘I just can't do it anymore. I just can't’. He was a little black and white heap of uncontrollable weeping. I was really overcome by his pain, and went home in tears. I couldn't sleep that night. I was so moved by him I thought I was in love. (Hey. I was nine.) I kept wishing I could somehow fix the pathetic little man in the stupid little hat.”

Edited by llll

I Love Lucy has beaucoup love on ebay. Even the reprints.

I've got to disagree w/u on this one, seleague.

OK, I took some liberties with I Love Lucy. It's even a nice copy (index now pending approval at GCD). For the most part, celebrity humor is fair game on the Short Bus since most people here couldn't care less about it.

This thread has strayed from the truly oddball.

First post:

A home for all the misfit GA books that get no love....

Seems to be reaching in order to post.

Hey, I'm the one that came up with Picture Progress, declared the quintessential Short Bus book by acclamation!

Here you go. Like this:

A053.jpg

PINKY LEE (THE ADVENTURES OF) #2, VG ATLAS 1955

*SCARCE* TEEN HUMOR

STAN LEE SCRIPTS

MORRIS WEISS COVER/STORY ART

“During the (commercial) break, Pinky Lee sat in the empty seat just below mine, and promptly melted down. He began to sob. His managers tried to put him back together again, but he kept crying ‘I just can't do it anymore. I just can't’. He was a little black and white heap of uncontrollable weeping. I was really overcome by his pain, and went home in tears. I couldn't sleep that night. I was so moved by him I thought I was in love. (Hey. I was nine.) I kept wishing I could somehow fix the pathetic little man in the stupid little hat.”

I sorta like that one!

Great story.

Jack

TV Teens probably qualifies, but low-grade IW reprints of The Brain? Short, shorter, shortest bus!

Jack

Um . . . . search - I.W. "The Brain" -pinky

A052.jpg

Drek is seldom enjoyable. Include this out.

Short Bus Material? :shrug:

dhb.jpg

Superheroes, Kirby art.

Bzzzzztttt

Jack

I was unaware of any Kirby art. Did he do the Boy Commandos or Captain Marvel?

Looks like Kirby Boy Commandos and Beck Captain Marvel, doesn't it?

Their usual characters.

Fun book. I'd like to have even a rough copy.

Jack

Short Bus Material? :shrug:

dhb.jpg

Superheroes, Kirby art.

Bzzzzztttt

Jack

I was unaware of any Kirby art. Did he do the Boy Commandos or Captain Marvel?

Looks like Kirby Boy Commandos and Beck Captain Marvel, doesn't it?

Their usual characters.

Fun book. I'd like to have even a rough copy.

Jack

As rough copies go, this one is pretty rough. Back cover is detached, Front Cover hanging on. Still not bad for $5.00 at the swap meet.

A great Short Bus comic book in today's haul!

Raggedy Ann & Andy 1 Feb-55 Dell Giant, glossy but tape and all kinds of wear.

A gem for fans of Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann. I don't know whether the stories are all original or some reprints. The artwork even the lettering, are first-rate! The stories are creative and fun, with some wild characters and almost psychedelic plots. The Stolen Shoe, with a talking dog, a squirrel wedding cruise in a shoe, and a marvelous pyromaniac green ogre. Highly recommended -- for a quarter!

raggedyann1.jpg

Jack

A great Short Bus comic book in today's haul!

Raggedy Ann & Andy 1 Feb-55 Dell Giant, glossy but tape and all kinds of wear.

A gem for fans of Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann. I don't know whether the stories are all original or some reprints. The artwork even the lettering, are first-rate! The stories are creative and fun, with some wild characters and almost psychedelic plots. The Stolen Shoe, with a talking dog, a squirrel wedding cruise in a shoe, and a marvelous pyromaniac green ogre. Highly recommended -- for a quarter!

raggedyann1.jpg

Jack

Dell giants are chock full of comic goodness

Raggedy ann is the most consistently enjoyable comic I have read outside of Barks stuff. I would love to know if this is new or reprints.

There's no reprint notes in Overstreet or at GCD, where the book is well indexed. I bet it's all original.

Jack

AWP!

You're embarrassing my Raggedy Raggedy Ann & Andy 1!

Very nice books!

Here's a great story page from The Stolen Shoe.

Raggedypage.jpg

Remember, Ann's made out of rags, so she gets burned up and the squirrels have to stitch her. Pretty intense for little kids!

Jack

Raggedy:)

raggedyann.jpg

No other good-fit threads for these 2 so ... onto the short bus they go.

First is Danger # 8 with another Heck of a cover and then I scanned a page from the Pat Morisi story. I still can't get over the fact that Morisi was cop by day and artist by night. The page was selected for its goriness of course :grin:

67128.jpg.2ff619598e89b76a980cde0233b7f46a.jpg

67129.jpg.74c4dfc213cbed012b0dcb8ec68f5b16.jpg

Next up is another Crime book, Crime Must Pay the Penalty in ok condition and with a Lou Cameron story inside. The page is the second from the Cameron story. If Cameron had been born earlier, I would have loved to see what he could have done on The Spirit in collaboration with Eisner: Ahhh, the possibilities ... -

67130.jpg.e34c37ca95f501f435fbd6e1b6cc201e.jpg

67131.jpg.2d03be6839acc74f4b739ae74301b532.jpg

I just got this book in the mail today. Got it for less than $20 from Gary Dolgoff and couldn't be happier.

It has a great Schomburg cover. His later work is so clean. Just great.

bronchobill1401alf9.th.jpg

Does anyone know who did the interiors on this book? It's not really my cup of tea, a bit too "scratchy", but from what I've read so far, it works nicely with the stories. It has an old WGN Sunday morning "The Cisco Kid" feel to it.

bronchobill1402aut4.th.jpg

Does anyone know who did the interiors on this book? It's not really my cup of tea, a bit too "scratchy", but from what I've read so far, it works nicely with the stories.

The Who's Who only has Astarita on Broncho Bill but from that page, it's not Astarita here (IMO) so, no, no guess and I agree that it's too sketchy for my tastes as well.