• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

It's boring at work today, so I figure why not waste the bosses time sharing Oscar with you

oo1.jpg

MEIN GOTT!

It's not hard to see why there haven't been many funny-animal oyster stories. Bordering on the obscene, and I'd rather not say whether it's north or south of the border. Let's just say that it's a good thing all the oysters were clean-shaven!

(Did the oysters remind anyone else of the "old man in the boat" narrated an old underground comics story? I wish I could remember what book it's in, not that I could post it here.)

[PS: Thanks to another boardie whom I don't want to embarrass by connection to my bizarre free-association, but the story is probably Robert Williams's "The Supreme Constellation of Dormasintoria" in Zap Comix 4. As Scrooge would say, "Call me weird, but..." the resemblance jumped out at me!]

Too bad I don't have a magic bottle handy.

Whoever worked on this story obviously did.

Thanks for posting! Wow!

Jack

Spo-De-O-De

Edited by selegue

It's boring at work today, so I figure why not waste the bosses time sharing Oscar with you

oo3.jpg

Too bad I don't have a magic bottle handy.

LMAO - that was one of the dumbest and weirdest stories I've ever read! (worship)

A couple of readers from the late Golden Age, Animal Antics 21 and 22 -- received yesterday from Sharon (skypinkblu) with her high-pressure sales tactics!

When the top-billed characters are the almost-forgotten Raccoon Kids, you know you're on the Short Bus!

49754-AA21.jpg

Nip and Chip by Otto Feuer was the pleasant surprise in 21. Chip (a chipmunk) tricks Nip (a parrot, I think) out of his higgleberries by telling Nip that he has higgleberry fever. Odd.

49755-AA22.jpg

The most interesting story in 22 was probably Nip and Chip again. Nip falls in love with Hildegarde, a hippopotamus (!) and Chip plays Cupid for him. Literally, with wings, bow and arrow and all. There's also sort of a Fractured Fairy Tale by Ed Dunn (I know nothing about him), slanted versions of Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood as told by Willy Wolf to his son.

Even though the stories are mostly fair to middling, the cartooning is sharp. According to GCD, the books are all by Otto Feuer, Rube Grossman and Ed Dunn, except for the puzzles.

Jack

A couple of readers from the late Golden Age, Animal Antics 21 and 22 -- received yesterday from Sharon (skypinkblu) with her high-pressure sales tactics!

When the top-billed characters are the almost-forgotten Raccoon Kids, you know you're on the Short Bus!

Nip and Chip by Otto Feuer was the pleasant surprise in 21. Chip (a chipmunk) tricks Nip (a parrot, I think) out of his higgleberries by telling Nip that he has higgleberry fever. Odd.

The most interesting story in 22 was probably Nip and Chip again. Nip falls in love with Hildegarde, a hippopotamus (!) and Chip plays Cupid for him. Literally, with wings, bow and arrow and all. There's also sort of a Fractured Fairy Tale by Ed Dunn (I know nothing about him), slanted versions of Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood as told by Willy Wolf to his son.

Even though the stories are mostly fair to middling, the cartooning is sharp. According to GCD, the books are all by Otto Feuer, Rube Grossman and Ed Dunn, except for the puzzles.

Jack

You know, now that I see YOUR scans, those raccoons look awfully cute, send them back... :baiting:

When the top-billed characters are the almost-forgotten Raccoon Kids, you know you're on the Short Bus!...

You know, now that I see YOUR scans, those raccoons look awfully cute, send them back... :baiting:

The prices went WAY up due to recent high demand. You could say that the demand doubled, in fact. Maybe tripled if shiverbones stops by.

Jack

When the top-billed characters are the almost-forgotten Raccoon Kids, you know you're on the Short Bus!...

The prices went WAY up due to recent high demand. You could say that the demand doubled, in fact. Maybe tripled if shiverbones stops by.

Jack

Yeah, yeah...you CHARMED those away from me and now you....

(I think I had some of Poverty Row's Sake over on the Holiday Raffle thread, I can't think of the next line...;)

Jack

Yeah, yeah...you CHARMED those away from me and now you....

...have to store them and I don't.

(I think I had some of Poverty Row's Sake over on the Holiday Raffle thread, I can't think of the next line...;)

I could use a shot or two.

Sayonara,

Jack

Let's liven up my favorite thread with a few books that some of you Short Bus fans might not see posted over on Silver.

First, from the forgotten back-alleys of the Silver Age, a Box 10¢-priced Adventures of Jerry Lewis 66. Nice skypinkblu pedigree copy, evidently from the days when she subscribed to all the DC celebrity humor books.

It's a movie adaptation, and Jerry really acts like a developmentally challenged eunuch in this issue! Looks like Bob Oksner did the artwork.

49800-Jerry66.jpg

Next, a Box 12¢-priced Adventures of Jerry Lewis 72.

49798-Jerry72.jpg

Not just any copy! The freshly received skypinkblu Pedigree copy! You can easily identify this pedigree because of the helpful notes to the novice reader. The gentleman on the right (obviously drawn by Mort Drucker) is identified as "Bobby", and the attractive young lady on the left is tentatively identified as A. G., but she may be "Too good looling". The area that raises the doubt is obligingly highlighted so no one misses it.

From the same batch, does Blackhawk's scorned monster-fighting era qualify for the Short Bus? Blackhawk 169, with our favorite aviators apparently stumbling across the War that Time Forgot from Star Spangled War Stories. Nice purple monster! Too bad about the scissor cut that got snagged on the right edge.

49797-BH169.jpg

Finally, as long as I'm quoting my other post, the inside front cover of Blackhawk 169 explaining to the boys and girls why they had to fork over another two pennies for their DC fix starting this month.

49796-12cent.jpg

Jack

Let's liven up my favorite thread with a few books that some of you Short Bus fans might not see posted over on Silver.

First, from the forgotten back-alleys of the Silver Age, a Box 10¢-priced Adventures of Jerry Lewis 66. Nice skypinkblu pedigree copy, evidently from the days when she subscribed to all the DC celebrity humor books.

It's a movie adaptation, and Jerry really acts like a developmentally challenged eunuch in this issue! Looks like Bob Oksner did the artwork.

49800-Jerry66.jpg

Next, a Box 12¢-priced Adventures of Jerry Lewis 72.

49798-Jerry72.jpg

Not just any copy! The freshly received skypinkblu Pedigree copy! You can easily identify this pedigree because of the helpful notes to the novice reader. The gentleman on the right (obviously drawn by Mort Drucker) is identified as "Bobby", and the attractive young lady on the left is tentatively identified as A. G., but she may be "Too good looling". The area that raises the doubt is obligingly highlighted so no one misses it.

From the same batch, does Blackhawk's scorned monster-fighting era qualify for the Short Bus? Blackhawk 169, with our favorite aviators apparently stumbling across the War that Time Forgot from Star Spangled War Stories. Nice purple monster! Too bad about the scissor cut that got snagged on the right edge.

49797-BH169.jpg

Finally, as long as I'm quoting my other post, the inside front cover of Blackhawk 169 explaining to the boys and girls why they had to fork over another two pennies for their DC fix starting this month.

49796-12cent.jpg

Jack

:makepoint: :makepoint:

Subscribed my SPOON, lol (I find myself using spoon in coversations lately, kind of like when you look at a friend and say Laughing out Loud..;) ..Remind me to only recycle FAST BUS books to you from now on..no more Movie Stars, HOT MAMAS...Funny looking Comedians (although he was actually kind of cute cleaned up;)

Besides, you are doing such a good job recycling my books, I'm almost done...;) Next is stuff like WEIRD SCIENCE...;)

Happy Holidays, (((Jack:))))

Subscribed my SPOON, lol (I find myself using spoon in coversations lately, kind of like when you look at a friend and say Laughing out Loud..;) ..Remind me to only recycle FAST BUS books to you from now on..no more Movie Stars, HOT MAMAS...Funny looking Comedians (although he was actually kind of cute cleaned up;)

Besides, you are doing such a good job recycling my books, I'm almost done...;) Next is stuff like WEIRD SCIENCE...;)

Happy Holidays, (((Jack:))))

Did somebody call for a SPOON?

Yet another primo book from the skypinkblu pedigree, Funny Tunes 3 from Avon, Dec.–Jan. 1954. I'm not sure where the name comes from since there are no Tunes in this book, although Frank Zappa fans might enjoy reading a text story about Willie the Mountain! The next issue becomes Space Comics.

The best (and most bizarre) story by far is Space Mouse. Spacey (I guess that's his nickname) and his gal-pal Molly take off after a passing flying saucer (with inverted teacup on top) and, unprovoked, blast it out of the sky. In a sequence that paratrooper would enjoy, anthropomorphic knife, fork and SPOON (from the Pantry Planet) parachute to the ground. On my favorite page (shown here), they're attacked by the Wolf-Birds! Everyone except Molly pulls out pistols and shoots at them! The story doesn't get any less strange as the Wolfbirds lose their hyphen and shoot Spacey and Molly out of a giant slingshot, then they get arrested by a Shooting Star for traveling too fast! Justice triumphs in the end, but WOW, this is strange stuff!

49801-FunnyTunes3.jpg

I'll be glad to help you recycle Weird Science issues (especially for the cost of this Funny Tunes).

Happy holidays to you too!

Jack

Another DC celebrity book from the extensive skypinkblu pedigree!

Pat Boone 4 from April 1960. I'd never looked inside one of these before. Not like Adventures of Jerry Lewis of Bob Hope at all, this was more like a fan-club book with text features, fashions, pin-ups and a few actual strips. Hardly comic books at all, except for the pamphlet format.

49812-PatBoone4.jpg

Most of the artwork is by Bob Oksner, Mort Drucker (mostly single-panel gags) and an unknown pin-up/fashion artist. Here's a sample Oksner page, which looks unlike the Oksner I'm used to seeing -- more realistic, less cartoony/caricature than usual. (Most of the stories in #2-4 are signed, but I can't find a signature on this one. Many of the stories are about Pat Boone being a good family man. Maybe one of the artists can tell me about the style. Do you think that he traced the pencils from photos, then inked them? Funny seeing typeset text without word balloons in a DC comic book.

49819-PatBoone4p21.jpg

Jack

More celebrity humor, this time Abbott and Costello #37, March 1956 from St. John. Another book from the vaunted skypinkblu pedigree, but this time a Signature Series book, thanks to Sharon's cousins Lanny and Eilie. No extra charge, believe it or not!

Here's the cover, noting that it's a re-issue of original.

49839-AbbCost.jpg

I found the original, #14, on GCD (and added my #37), but compare the original. The editor removed the artist's signature, Peters. According to Jerry Bails' Who's Who, this is Eric Peters, husband of Lilly Renee Peters! Odd that he also removed the couple (spies?) and their dog, who made the "peepholes at two different levels" gag make (some) sense!

49841-A&C14.jpg

The cover is a far cry from the Good Girl covers on some of the earlier issues in the series.

I don't know whether #37 is a cover-to-cover reprint of #14. I also don't know whether Peters did interior artwork -- Overstreet notes Mort Drucker art in most issues, but I can't ID early Drucker. Maybe one of you can tell from these page scans.

The first story features classic racist caricatures of ignorant "natives", as you can see on this final page.

49843-AbbCostRac.jpg

The cover story is the final one, including this great splash with references to uranium, gold and Kentucky! Hard to beat that for a couple of bucks.

49842-AbbCostU.jpg

Thanks for cutting this treasure loose, Sharon.

Jack

Gene Autry Comics, July 1953.

Photo cover with Gene Autry "feeding his goat."

Is that a euphemism?

50008-GeneAut.jpg

Typical high Dell production values, but the artwork isn't very exciting. This night sequence is probably the high point of the book. Jerry Bails' Who's Who suggests Pete Alvarado, Richard Case, Nicholas Firfires (who?), Erwin Hess (who? again), Bud Thompson, Doug Wildey -- too many choices. Can anyone tell them apart? I'd at least guess it's not Wildey.

50009-GeneAutpage.jpg

Jack

Gene was always my favorite of the singing cowboys.

OK, Bill, try to find something nice to say about THIS one!

Cover was just posted on the cigar thread.

Young Romance V11#6. Prize, Nov 1958.

50089-YoungRom.jpg

Not terribly faded, but the balance seems off to me. Interesting use of uninked pastels in the background. There's more Simon and Kirby work in this book. Did they work on the cover? I'd wager not. Does anyone know whether Colletta worked for Prize? He could have drawn, or at least inked, the cover. He was usually better on romance than superheroes.

Here's a scan from a story that cracks me up.

50093-YoungRompage.jpg

Beth Thomas, a door-to-door freezer saleswoman, sells one to a bachelor, Hugh Stevens, by strolling into his house, coming on to him and cooking him dinner. (I hope she did the dishes.) Have times changed or what? Her boss gives her flak for spending too long on the sale, Beth spends a few weeks mooning over Hugh Stevens, then the boss complains because Stevens falls behind in his payments, Beth takes off and gives him hell. (Yes, she specifically complains about doing his dishes.) Of course it was a ruse to attract her back. Stevens hacks her into steaks and chops and loads her into the freezer. OOOPS, sorry, not an EC story. Beth accepts his proposal of marriage on the spot. Figures that's how he shops for a wife -- he's an engineer!

Simon and Kirby may have had a hand in drawing story, especially the boss. What do you think?

And on the next page, a swell quiz about Real Love. Charmaigne looks like a Kirby lady to me. The original owner was nice enough to start answering the quiz, which lowered the grade but added to the appeal for me!

50094-YoungRomquiz.jpg

Does he have certain traits that you feel a need to apologize for? yes

Is this the man you want to marry, and live with for the rest of your life? no

Cold!

She got stuck on the one about her parents and gave up.

Another dollar well spent.

Jack