• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Yeah, all the cool kids are in Chicago -- but we'll show 'em that we know how to have a good time without 'em. We'll show 'em all.

Cosmo Cat 5, April 1947, from a recent trade with Scrooge.

Not much to go on for credits on old Fox funny animal books, but the cartooning on this one is competent to very good, as good as some of the funny stuff that came out of L. B. Cole's shop. I get a chuckle out of the funny animal superheroes.

Here's the cover with a nice futuristic scene

CosmoCat5.jpg

and the part of the book I really like, an alchemist story!

Here's gold and lead, of course

CosmoCat5001.jpg

but the writer added radium, which late 40s comic-book writers were infatuated with

CosmoCat5003.jpg

and here's a funny splash page -- Count Duckula, decades before the better known Count Duckula from animated cartoons

CosmoCat5007.jpg

Jack

:applause: Glad you liked it. Funny enough, I saw a copy in Chicago ... and we need to talk I traded it too cheap according to that dealer's pricing :baiting:

^^

but let's see his prices on Airboy Comics!

Aren't you carousing with the gang in Chicago? Saturday only?

Jack

Actually, according to the dealers, short bus books are VERY hot in Chicago;)

^^ MY SHIP HAS COME IN! ^^

Are they especially popular in fair to very good condition?

Jack

(What are all you revelers doing posting on the boards?)

Jack

Really Jack you should have come ... they were giving away Short Bus books by the handful ... like this one ( :gossip: a newly confirmed Month Book: Feb 1952 - Bi-Monthly as per indicia) -

60957-Geronimo4s.jpg.ce8818ac3b92a8f70c7299f7d813f07e.jpg

Jack

Really Jack you should have come ... they were giving away Short Bus books by the handful ... like this one ( :gossip: a newly confirmed Month Book: Feb 1952 - Bi-Monthly as per indicia) -

:gossip:Don't believe a word he posts;) I think he paid for that book;) (giving away...HAH....oh wait, someone DID give me a book ...but I forgot to pack my scanner;)

Jack

:gossip:Don't believe a word he posts;) I think he paid for that book;) (giving away...HAH....oh wait, someone DID give me a book ...but I forgot to pack my scanner;)

Hey ... Ok, so maybe I paid for Geronimo but I truly did get this next one for free! Truly my kind of price :acclaim:

60958-War46s.jpg.62eb41b0ab63eb83d5093eb18114ec1a.jpg

Jack

Really Jack you should have come ... they were giving away Short Bus books by the handful ...

:frustrated:

I'm sure all my buddies picked me up a few armloads.

like this one ( :gossip: a newly confirmed Month Book: Feb 1952 - Bi-Monthly as per indicia) -

You should have asked! I have that one. (a beater copy)

Jack

like this one ( :gossip: a newly confirmed Month Book: Feb 1952 - Bi-Monthly as per indicia) -

You should have asked! I have that one. (a beater copy)

Jack

I didn't know to ask (shrug) Still happy with this one. I do like presentable copies when I can afford them (thumbs u

Is this Short Bus material? This is probably my favorite cover of the short Tor run. It was a gotta have it after Roy Thomas put it on the cover of a recent Alter Ego :frustrated:

61002-Tor3s.jpg

Rhetorical question?

I don't think Kubert is allowed on the Short Bus, even a book with a Cute Monkey Sidekick. Truth be told, Kubert's not one of my favorites -- a bit too scratchy and repetitive for me, esp much later than this very good Tor cover -- but I can appreciate his talent.

Jack

Is this Short Bus material? This is probably my favorite cover of the short Tor run. It was a gotta have it after Roy Thomas put it on the cover of a recent Alter Ego :frustrated:

61002-Tor3s.jpg

Rhetorical question?

I don't think Kubert is allowed on the Short Bus, even a book with a Cute Monkey Sidekick. Truth be told, Kubert's not one of my favorites -- a bit too scratchy and repetitive for me, esp much later than this very good Tor cover -- but I can appreciate his talent.

Jack

Tor's a fun title, so I'd say short title, not short bus.

:bump:

Cinderella Love. Now, we're talking Short Bus. Paid too much for it I know but I sorta like the cover (even in a cheesy way). The back cover is surprisingly ad-free and features a pin-up page.

The third story with the cover blurb of "Love is always sweeter on The Long Way Home" takes place in France and is a slight mix of romance and spy action. I'm attaching a page below. She tries ... mildly to defend herself. :cry:

N.B.: :gossip: Jack , this book is one of the 3 undocumented ones

62518.jpg.c0a15a5bbffb1ed3199c9c565a7406cc.jpg

62519.jpg.c6ee85318ed8c8328dbae326d17bc867.jpg

62520.jpg.9580271a272f1ff3cf345b016b186d0c.jpg

:bump:

Cinderella Love. Now, we're talking Short Bus. Paid too much for it I know but I sorta like the cover (even in a cheesy way). The back cover is surprisingly ad-free and features a pin-up page.

I think I just bid and lost on some of this series recently (or decided not to bid?)

Ebay purchase?

The third story with the cover blurb of "Love is always sweeter on The Long Way Home" takes place in France and is a slight mix of romance and spy action. I'm attaching a page below. She tries ... mildly to defend herself. :cry:

Zut alors! You cannot truzt ze Frainschman, n'est-ce pas?

N.B.: :gossip: Jack , this book is one of the 3 undocumented ones

You mean the undocumented "month books", right?

Also poorly documented at GCD. The cover girl had a text "tattoo" on her forehead -- your cover is there now. If you decide to index :baiting: , I know very well an editor to help out. A most debonair fellow, I might add.

Jack

Yup, eBay BINed last week. Another weird publishing schedule on that series. This is the Winter issue meaning it probably came out late 1951 but there wasn't a Spring issue and the next issue # 6 has a cover date of April. I opted for # 5 in the end. I do like the cover to # 6 since the lady is in a nice bathing suit on the cover. I might keep on looking for it ... Otherwise, I just won another of the undocumented Romance books 10 minutes ago, Harvey's First Love Illustrated :banana:

I thought you'd take the opportunity to make fun of the French so you should thank me for giving you the line. (thumbs u

Yup, eBay BINed last week. Another weird publishing schedule on that series. This is the Winter issue meaning it probably came out late 1951 but there wasn't a Spring issue and the next issue # 6 has a cover date of April. I opted for # 5 in the end. I do like the cover to # 6 since the lady is in a nice bathing suit on the cover. I might keep on looking for it ... Otherwise, I just won another of the undocumented Romance books 10 minutes ago, Harvey's First Love Illustrated :banana:

"Lo, there shall be an ending!" as Stan Lee would say.

Well done!

I thought you'd take the opportunity to make fun of the French so you should thank me for giving you the line. (thumbs u

Just to be clear, I only make fun of the cheezy comic-book French accents. M De La Tour has an unusual one. He likes to pepper his speech with "Ma cherie" and such, but no substituting Z for TH like Batroc ze Lee-pair!

I spent 6 great weeks in France in the 90s and don't make fun of the French people!

I haven't contributed a good Short Bus scan to the thread for a while. Just wait until my box gets here from skypinkblu!

Jack