• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: Your worst raw purchase

84 posts in this topic

Sometimes people practice on the cheap books, or are so obsessive compulsive they feel compelled to do it to many comics.

or perhaps it was a kid's folly and cgc just counts it as a CT. gossip.gif I was only out about $40 no biggie. Now the star trek #1(photo back cover) & strange tales 101 that were supposed to a VF that hurt. 27_laughing.gif

at what dollar amount do you guy's take a book out and look at the back cover?

At a con, I will look at all books not only for back cover condition but I'm particularly worried about missing centerfolds. I got burned about three times with missing centerfolds and I aim not to let it happen again. Most people, read eBay sellers, don't think about it.

I'll take a $4.00 book out of the bag. The only time exception I would make is if I'm buying a handful from the same collection, in which case opening half to 2/3 of them would do.

i watched a guy at Heroes Con last year spend fifteen - literally fifteen, not some wild-ars'd guess, mind you - minutes poring over a VF+ copy of some FF issue around ish 220 or so that was in a dollar box. i swear, CGC's restoration check likely takes less time than this knucklehead took to examine every last micrometer of a dollar book.

best part was that he didn't even buy the 893censored-thumb.gif thing. i was >< this close to yanking it out of his hands and shredding it just to get him to shove off to the next table and out of my immediate vicinity

At a con, I will look at all books not only for back cover condition but I'm particularly worried about missing centerfolds. I got burned about three times with missing centerfolds and I aim not to let it happen again. Most people, read eBay sellers, don't think about it.

I check front, back and that centerfold is attached. Most sellers are more than happy to let you see the book. ( i ask them to take the book out and put it back in the bag)

i watched a guy at Heroes Con last year spend fifteen - literally fifteen, not some wild-ars'd guess, mind you - minutes poring over a VF+ copy of some FF issue around ish 220 or so that was in a dollar box. i swear, CGC's restoration check likely takes less time than this knucklehead took to examine every last micrometer of a dollar book.

best part was that he didn't even buy the 893censored-thumb.gif thing. i was >< this close to yanking it out of his hands and shredding it just to get him to shove off to the next table and out of my immediate vicinity

Sounds like he was reading it! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

Sgt Fury #1 FN/VF purchased from Richie Muchin in the early 90s... didn't slab it, but found the resto myself about 7 years after I bought it. I think I paid $200 for it about 13 years ago. I have no idea what it would fetch today, but probably a lot less than $200.

Hulk #6 FN/VF purchased from Richie Muchin in the early 90s... didn't slab it, but found small CT and glue seal myself years after purchase.

I've debated about getting rid of the Fury because I think of Muchin every time I look at the book and I can't really enjoy it. 893censored-thumb.gif But then I'd have to go buy another copy and I'm not really positioned to do that now. foreheadslap.gif

West

Hey kiddies, this ain't a library! sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif

West

27_laughing.gif

i'm pretty sure i can tell the difference between someone reading a dollar book and a freaknut examining same for microscopic-sized defects on the staples, bottom edges and etc.

i wasn't the seller of the book, either. just an uninterested observer of human nature. th funny thing about the whole situation was that the book was obviously a VF+ at best, so lord only knows what he was looking for

West

27_laughing.gif

i'm pretty sure i can tell the difference between someone reading a dollar book and a freaknut examining same for microscopic-sized defects on the staples, bottom edges and etc.

i wasn't the seller of the book, either. just an uninterested observer of human nature. th funny thing about the whole situation was that the book was obviously a VF+ at best, so lord only knows what he was looking for

Like in "Clerks the movie"

he is the equivalent of the "milk maid".

(in search of the perfect VF+)

grin.gif

Here is one for you! I bought two comic magazines (Haunt of Horror #1 and Tales of Zombie #1) off of ebay. Both were described as NM- (9.2). I sent them both out to be prescreened, as I am still learning how to grade. The Haunt of Horror #1 turned out to be a 6.0 and the Tales of Zombie #1, which had a stain on the back cover, turned out to be a 5.5. Luckily the seller did return my money and we did exchange positive feedback....

I bought a "NM" Thor 337. It ended up having a footprint on the cover. I emailed the guy and told him. He said he sent me the wrong copy. I got a package from him a week later...it was a Thor issue where he gets a new costume. Ugh.

So, anyone have a NM or NM+ thor 337 they want to sell me?