• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3rd PARTY GRADING - What is the next big collectibles category in the future?

114 posts in this topic

In putting together the next edition of the Beatles price guide, I wrote to CGC to ask whether they might consider slabbing LP's or 45 sleeves. They have talked about it, and if demand is there they might do it. I will mention this in the guide.

I'm not too keen on GAI. I've seen some questionable autographs that have been authenticated by them. I'm sure if CGC went the magazine route, they'd outshine GAI real quick.

We will be doing Mags at some point, been doing research about them and the holder sizes for the last 2 years, just very busy with other stuff.

Our new website will launch soon, we have had quite a bit of programing being done for graders notes to be put online, We are working on changes to the forums, the # of registry sets is growing, and gossip.gif there will soon be a new type of label making it 5 different CGC colored labels in total, but I am not revealing anything about that just yet......... devil.gif

Please put the grade initials (alpha) back on the label. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

"Please put the grade initials (alpha) back on the label."

Sorry, not happening.........

Oh don't get me wrong. I didn't mean instead of the numbers.... I meant along side the numbers. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I think this would be a more popular move than you might think.

For those that think that LPs/45s are the next big thing, it appears that you are about 10 years too late. I collect a variety of records, and pretty much across the board, I'm seeing depressed prices. Are Beatles' Yesterday and Today (Butcher cover), Elvis Sun 45s, Velvet Underground & Nico first pressings, and other rarities always going to fetch top dollar? Of course. But you're talking about the Suspense Comics #3, Action 1 and Zap Comix #1 of the record world. There are thousands upon thousands of other records that aren't holding value.

For those that think that LPs/45s are the next big thing, it appears that you are about 10 years too late. I collect a variety of records, and pretty much across the board, I'm seeing depressed prices. Are Beatles' Yesterday and Today (Butcher cover), Elvis Sun 45s, Velvet Underground & Nico first pressings, and other rarities always going to fetch top dollar? Of course. But you're talking about the Suspense Comics #3, Action 1 and Zap Comix #1 of the record world. There are thousands upon thousands of other records that aren't holding value.

True, but isn't there also 10's of thousands of comics with no value?

For those that think that LPs/45s are the next big thing, it appears that you are about 10 years too late.

These are people, who instead of examining and evaluating what kids 10 or 20 years ago embraced, look to the past, like some bizarre retrograde visionaries.

It's the same know-nothings who constantly spout that "people have ALWAYS been tell me comic prices have peaked" in defense of never-ending comic book price appreciation. 27_laughing.gif

Sugar packs. It's going to be huge in 2 1/2 years.

This is about as likely as people collecting frozen TV dinners

(OK, so I stole this idea from the main plot line of the movie NEVER BEEN THAWED, which is an as yet unreleased independant film about people who collect frozen TV dinners dating all the way back to the 1950's. The collectors in this film would score a CGC 9.8 on the "loser" scale. They are all guys (what a surprise) with the exception of one female member of the collecting society).