• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KEVIN SMITH TO HOST MARVEL THEN AND NOW:

23 posts in this topic

KEVIN SMITH TO HOST MARVEL THEN AND NOW:

AN EVENING WITH STAN LEE AND JOE QUESADA

(Los Angeles) November 20, 2006 – Call him a pop culture icon, a critically-acclaimed film director, or a comic book writer, but just don’t call him Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith has just signed on to host the December 2nd UCLA event MARVEL THEN AND NOW: An Evening with Stan Lee and Joe Quesada.

The event is a benefit function for the Hero Initiative, a federally-chartered not-for-profit charity that provides financial assistance for comic creators in need. It will be conducted in the vein of Inside The Actor’s Studio, only without the pretense and with a lot more cool.

Lee was the first editor in chief of Marvel Comics and co-creator of such characters as Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four and many others, while Quesada currently holds the editor-in-chief title at the company Stan helped build. Smith, cast in the James Lipton role for the evening, brings along with him a healthy knowledge of Marvel lore, having written a celebrated run of Marvel’s DAREDEVIL comic book.

“Kevin knows his stuff,” Quesada said. “I can’t think of anyone else who can really keep up with Stan the way Kevin can.”

The event is scheduled for 7 p.m. at UCLA's Ackerman Grand Ballroom, are now on sale at the UCLA Box Office and all Los Angeles area Ticketmaster outlets. You can also buy them online at:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B003D...;minorcatid=104

Ticket prices are $18 for UCLA students and $20 for non-students, with all proceeds going to benefit the Hero Initiative, a federally chartered not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for comic creators in need. Tickets are also available for a VIP reception before the program which will feature the ability to hob-knob, rub elbows and otherwise just hang out with Stan and Joe and some of the evening’s special guests. Those tickets are $100, and also benefit The Hero Initiative. To purchase VIP tickets, call the UCLA box office at 310-825-2101.

About Hero Initiative:

In late 2000, a consortium of comic publishers came up with the idea to create a financial safety net for comic creators, much in the same fashion that exists in almost any other trade from plumbing to pottery. By March of 2001, the federal government approved The Hero Initiative as a publicly supported not-for-profit corporation under section 501 © (3).

Since its inception, The Hero Initiative (formerly known as A.C.T.O.R., A Commitment To Our Roots) has had the good fortune to grant over $200,000 to the comic book veterans who have paved the way for those in the industry today.

The Hero Initiative is the first-ever federally chartered not-for-profit corporation dedicated strictly to helping comic book creators in need. Hero creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. It's a chance for all of us to give back something to the people who have given us so much enjoyment.

Hero is served by two boards of directors:

Writer Jim McLauchlin, CGC President Steve Borock, filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, Atomic Comics owner/operator Mike Malve, Lady Death Creator Brian Pulido, Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada and Orlando MegaCon owner/operator Beth Widera comprise the Executive/Fund Raising Board which administers all the fund's operations and raises money.

Giordano, Charlie Novinskie, Dennis O'Neil, George Pérez, John Romita Sr., Roy Thomas and Jim Valentino make up a peer group Fund Disbursement Board that hears petitions and disburses funds to worthy applicants. Pérez is the Chairman of that board.

For more information, please visit us at www.heroinitiative.org

Here's hoping he handles this better then Spider-Man Black Cat………Come to think of it, he needs to just stay the *spoon* out of comics or comic related endeavors and stick to what he knows best, making bad movies.

Here's hoping he handles this better then Spider-Man Black Cat………Come to think of it, he needs to just stay the *spoon* out of comics or comic related endeavors and stick to what he knows best, making bad movies.

Considering how his last few movies have gone, I bet no one wants him. Which is why he is probably ready to get back into comics insane.gif

Considering how his last few movies have gone, I bet no one wants him. Which is why he is probably ready to get back into comics insane.gif

I would be happy if he never produced anything again.

Oh, I can hardly wait to see this... lots of "Ummmm... Uh Huh,..... Mmmmmmm... Yeah.... Hmmmmmmm.... Yep........ Hokay....." interjections throughout the comments of the actual interviewees, just like on Mutants, Monsters and Marvels.

What a spoon.

Wwhy does everyone hate Kevin Smith so? Is he a major tool or something?

Not really, but he is possibly the World's Worst Interviewer.

I have met Kevin briefly . He is young, rich and talented. He is driven and is off to a good start to reach his dreams and of course is a comic geek. I fully expect him to make a great movie some day. He is learning the trade. I can't believe that forum members would be critical of someone who helps support and promote our hobby.

I have met Kevin briefly . He is young, rich and talented. He is driven and is off to a good start to reach his dreams and of course is a comic geek. I fully expect him to make a great movie some day. He is learning the trade.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the World's Worst Interviewer.

My only experience with Kevin Smith was at a forum in which I was a member of the audience, along with my wife, at a San Diego comic con, maybe 6 years ago. Shortly after he was introduced he made a raw, yulger comment about the size of one of his body parts, and we immediatly walked out, disgusted. I have not forgotton that, and in hindsight, I wished I would have confronted him then, and maybe someday I will. He may or may not be a great talant, and who knows, maybe he had a bad day, and maybe he feels this type of thing is OK and acceptable in a mixed public audience, but as a public speaker and a gemtleman, I have little respect for him. I would never knowingly purchase any of his comics or enrich him.--Joe

My only experience with Kevin Smith was at a forum in which I was a member of the audience, along with my wife, at a San Diego comic con, maybe 6 years ago. Shortly after he was introduced he made a raw, yulger comment about the size of one of his body parts, and we immediatly walked out, disgusted. I have not forgotton that, and in hindsight, I wished I would have confronted him then, and maybe someday I will. He may or may not be a great talant, and who knows, maybe he had a bad day, and maybe he feels this type of thing is OK and acceptable in a mixed public audience, but as a public speaker and a gemtleman, I have little respect for him. I would never knowingly purchase any of his comics or enrich him.--Joe

27_laughing.gif You not gonna respect anyone who mentions the size of thier *spoon* in public? That's so stupid. If you do that then you don't respect 90% of your own gender.

27_laughing.gif You not gonna respect anyone who mentions the size of thier *spoon* in public? That's so stupid. If you do that then you don't respect 90% of your own gender.

yeahok.gif

You not gonna respect anyone who mentions the size of thier *spoon* in public? That's so stupid. If you do that then you don't respect 90% of your own gender.

How old are you, 16?

I admit to that behavior when I was a kid, but after I left high-school? screwy.gif

I have met Kevin briefly . He is young, rich and talented. He is driven and is off to a good start to reach his dreams and of course is a comic geek. I fully expect him to make a great movie some day. He is learning the trade.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the World's Worst Interviewer.

I dated Marylyn Monroe for a while and she was a lousy kisser. So what.......................

I dated Marylyn Monroe for a while and she was a lousy kisser. So what.......................

So now you're comparing Marilyn to tub-o-lard Smith? 27_laughing.gif

Not to mention what were TALKING about Smith handling the mediator/interviewer position for an upcoming production, so yes, I think his interviewing skills are quite on-topic. makepoint.gif

Drice, maybe that is fine for you and your gf or wife, but I don't like it. And if you have any kids, I don't think you would like it either, for that matter. If it is a movie or TV show, or a live appearance by someone who you know by reputation that you can generally expect that from, than you more or less know what you are getting into at your choice. But in a mixed crowd with children and young woman (or any age) at a general public forum like that, it is unaccpetable to me. A few curse words are one thing, but getting graphic about that particular subject matter, in that situation, is a real lack of just plain consideration of others who he was SHARING the room with. If he was going to speak like that, then maybe there should have been a sign at the door, and we would not have entered. Lastly, yes, your right, I don't like it, and if because I feel like that, then as you say, it must be stupid, for me to be entitled to my ehtical views, but I belive and it is disrepectful, when anyone would do that in a mixed company, and maybe in your world 90% of males are behaving like that, but not in mine--Joe S.

Drice, maybe that is fine for you and your gf or wife, but I don't like it. And if you have any kids, I don't think you would like it either, for that matter. If it is a movie or TV show, or a live appearance by someone who you know by reputation that you can generally expect that from, than you more or less know what you are getting into at your choice. But in a mixed crowd with children and young woman (or any age) at a general public forum like that, it is unaccpetable to me. A few curse words are one thing, but getting graphic about that particular subject matter, in that situation, is a real lack of just plain consideration of others who he was SHARING the room with. If he was going to speak like that, then maybe there should have been a sign at the door, and we would not have entered. Lastly, yes, your right, I don't like it, and if because I feel like that, then as you say, it must be stupid, for me to be entitled to my ehtical views, but I belive and it is disrepectful, when anyone would do that in a mixed company, and maybe in your world 90% of males are behaving like that, but not in mine--Joe S.

Hey Joe - I am with you on this. My sarcastic "Yeah, Ok" graemlin was aimed at Kevin76's comment, not yours. thumbsup2.gif