• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you take those wonderful pictures?

25 posts in this topic

In case anyone still gives a crud...

I receved an tested my NEW Umax Powerlook 1000 Legal-Size Scanner

cots ($379) and can highly recommend this scanner (and Magicscan software) to those that are interested and OK with spending $150 or so more (than the cheapest legal -sized scanners) to receive the additional quality and speed.

This scanner is MUCH better (professional use quality) and lacks the "intense glare" the "$200 Umax Astra 4000u" had (and other $200 range scanners seem to have). There is no glare anywhere. There are no problems scanning either the transparent portions of the slab, nor the area with the comic in it. I also noticed that the few slabs I tested that had a slight "warping" or "not quite flat" comic... did not produce those "glare spots" in the middle of the slab (bonus!).

I'm betting many of the scanner lamps on the $200 range scanners are really inconsistant and don't scan semi-transparent media well.

This scanner is:

•MAC/PC

•USB or firewire

•scans a 300 dpi slab in 50 seconds (with firewire).. the 4000u was over 2 minutes.

NOTE: Scanning time could be reduced if I scanned at web resolution (72 dpi). However, I scan at 300 dpi, then reduce the image to 75 dpi... you capture more detail that way before the resolution reduction.

---------

Can anybody recommend a cheaper scanner that does not show "glare" anywhere on the slabs?