• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've a serious question and seek your advice

48 posts in this topic

I feel horrible and don't know who else to turn to other than you guys. What do I do? Generally, signatures on a comic are pretty much worthless if they come from ebay, aren't cgc ss, and on a crappy book. My brother got one such book signed by stan lee for $90. It's Marvel team-up #60 in vf condition. Worth maybe $5. There is no proof that stan lee signed it. I think he grossly overpaid for a book that could have been signed by the sellers little sister. Should I tell him and inform him about CGC's signature series and that for less money I could get a 9.8 Michael Turner signed book? Because he said that if I find out it's not stan's signature he will return it and get his money back. Or not say anything at all and make him think that he got me a great book. I'm 25 and my brother is 29 if that helps. And he does admit that he knows nothing about comics. What would you do?

I feel like he should have come to me for advice. Decieving him by making him think I got a great book seems wrong yet I feel like telling him that what he got me should be returned is wrong too. Let's just say my stomach right now is all twisted up. I just want to do the right thing.

Can you send a scan of the signature? I have a signed book by Stan that is not slabbed and it is one of my favorites. If it is authentic and thats what your brother really wants it's up to him.

If you feel is is not Stans autograph, thats a different story altogether. A scan would help since most of us know what Stans signature looks like.

Here's a scan:

stanleewf0.jpg

There's no way to be 100% sure, but I've seen hundreds of Stan Lee signatures and that looks like a legitimate Stan Lee signature to me. The book is not worth $90 though, even if the signature is genuine. Not even close. Stan is a prolific signer and books with his signature are not hard to find.

All that said, it's not your fault that he overpaid for the book. It was his decision and it is his problem. confused-smiley-013.gif You can feel bad for him, but don't blame yourself.

He did buy it as a Christmas present for me. He got it because he thought I'd like it. Not him.

Personally, I think that's important info that should have been in the original post.

Now you're dealing with a gift, for which you should always smile and thank the person, even if it sucks. No good can come from any other course of action. flowerred.gif

He did buy it as a Christmas present for me. He got it because he thought I'd like it. Not him.

Personally, I think that's important info that should have been in the original post.

Now you're dealing with a gift, for which you should always smile and thank the person, even if it sucks. No good can come from any other course of action. flowerred.gif

I'm happy to be in 100% agreement with Joe C.

Absolutely -- admire it, accept it graciously and stash it away in a box. It's nice of your brother to support your hobby.

Jack

I'm happy to be in 100% agreement with Joe C.

Absolutely -- admire it, accept it graciously and stash it away in a box. It's nice of your brother to support your hobby.

Jack

thumbsup2.gif You have a great Brother who wanted to get his little Bro something special. You Sir, are a lucky man! Good times!

yay.gifChris

Over the years I've had many family members and friends buy me comics-related gifts and almost every single time it's something I didn't want, didn't need, didn't like or they paid too much for it.

And every single time I've graciously accepted it and gushed over how I liked it and would treasure it.

He's your brother. Tell him you love it.

Tell his to STOP buying comics and put his money into an area he's interested in.

That looks like a legit signature. thumbsup2.gif. You also have a thoughtful brother...not knowing anything about comics, he took the time and thought to find that book for you. I say keep it. That book now is symbolic of your brother's gesture, which you will forever be reminded of when you see it.