• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #122

75 posts in this topic

yep.. and if there are no non-color breaking creases on the spine it could grade out a 9.6 ...sweet copy!!

There are no non-color-breaking creases on the spine, or anywhere else for that matter.

For what it's worth, I have the book in hand and I think it's a solid 9.6 with a (slim) chance at 9.8. The only defects on the book are very slight rubbing at the spine tips. I don't know what you guys are seeing that would lead you to say 9.4 or 9.2. Care to explain?

I don't know what you guys are seeing that would lead you to say 9.4 or 9.2. Care to explain?

Because we are haters? confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously though, I don't give out 9.6s and 9.8s unless the scan is totally clear as far as defects. There is so much going on with that cover in terms of the art, it makes picking up little defects really hard. I just erred on the side of caution, no particular reason for it to "only" get a 9.4, though I will say the corners on the back look too soft for a 9.8.

I don't know what you guys are seeing that would lead you to say 9.4 or 9.2. Care to explain?

Seriously though, I don't give out 9.6s and 9.8s unless the scan is totally clear as far as defects. There is so much going on with that cover in terms of the art, it makes picking up little defects really hard. I just erred on the side of caution, no particular reason for it to "only" get a 9.4, though I will say the corners on the back look too soft for a 9.8.

The corners are sharp. confused.gif I've got several 9.8s with corners just like these. The only thing wrong with the book is slight rubbing at the spine tips.

For what it's worth, I have the book in hand and I think it's a solid 9.6 with a (slim) chance at 9.8. The only defects on the book are very slight rubbing at the spine tips. I don't know what you guys are seeing that would lead you to say 9.4 or 9.2. Care to explain?

The LRC isn't slightly rounded? If no, then 9.6 it is. thumbsup2.gif

The corners are sharp. confused.gif I've got several 9.8s with corners just like these. The only thing wrong with the book is slight rubbing at the spine tips.

Yes, the spine corners are what I was talking about.

Giving a 9.6 or a 9.8 from a scan is simply a guess. I can post a dozen books that look two or three grades higher from scans than they do in hand. Be glad you got NMs from people here (who are generally harsh in my opinion). It's a great book, it's super high grade, it's not possible to give a 9.8 from a scan. Just be happy. poke2.gif

Grading a book from a scan is a crapshoot. Real hard for me anyways to give a grade higher then a NM without physically holding the book. Not saying your book would'nt grade higher, just saying I would not grade it higher on a scan alone.

The LRC isn't slightly rounded? If no, then 9.6 it is. thumbsup2.gif

Nope, sharp enough to poke your eye out. thumbsup2.gif

i dont think we can ever call a book 9.6 or 9.8 without holding it and tipping it to the light to see any dents, nicks, etc. that wont show up on a scan.

So you just assume defects you can't see are there and give the book a 9.2-9.4? Why not assume that the book is badly water warped and just give it a 4.0? poke2.gifpoke2.gif

i dont think we can ever call a book 9.6 or 9.8 without holding it and tipping it to the light to see any dents, nicks, etc. that wont show up on a scan.

Or really a 9.4 for that matter.

I wish I had a nickel for every book in my collection that looks like a 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8 in 2D.

Tilting to the light has made many a 9.6 a 9.0. frown.gif

Yes, the spine corners are what I was talking about.

Giving a 9.6 or a 9.8 from a scan is simply a guess. I can post a dozen books that look two or three grades higher from scans than they do in hand. Be glad you got NMs from people here (who are generally harsh in my opinion). It's a great book, it's super high grade, it's not possible to give a 9.8 from a scan. Just be happy. poke2.gif

GIVE ME MY 9.8 DAMMIT!!!!!!!! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

So you just assume defects you can't see are there and give the book a 9.2-9.4?

What is probably a safe assumption is that for every 10 books that looks flawless in 2D, maybe 1 is actually free of any sort of spine bend, crescent thumb dent, edge bump, staple pucker, etc. etc.

poke2.giftongue.gif