• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would a 2" cover tear impact the grade?

31 posts in this topic

Let's say the book, which is a Platinum era book, would grade out as a 8.5 EXCEPT that it has a 2" tear on the upper right side of the cover. It is a clean tear and while certainly noticeable, it detracts minimally from the eye appeal of the book and doesn't impact any of cover images/lettering.

What kind of grade drop?

Platinum is out of my area of expertise, but I would think that you'd be hard pressed to receive a grade higher than 6.5 - 7.0. A 2" tear is a significant defect on a cover. On an interior page, you might be getting an 7.5-8.0.

Somewhere in the FN 6.0 range is my best guess. Although this is one of those places where CGC has historically used the green Qualified label.

It would be a logical Qualified label.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their opinion. Helpful.

Pricing Qualified books drives me batty.

As the seller you want the higher grade to be realized, as the buyer all you see is that huge tear. I have never bought, nor priced Qualified books. How are they welcomed by buyers looking for a nice book....except for that one flaw.

I used to hate the concept, but I can see how it should be used in the right situation.

Ze-

As the seller you want the higher grade to be realized, as the buyer all you see is that huge tear. I have never bought, nor priced Qualified books. How are they welcomed by buyers looking for a nice book....except for that one flaw.

I used to hate the concept, but I can see how it should be used in the right situation.

Ze-

That was going to be my next question!!! It is even tougher than figuring out the grade. screwy.gif

Ze-

That was going to be my next question!!! It is even tougher than figuring out the grade. screwy.gif

Actually, I believe you're less likely to get a green label when a tear is on the front cover. You'll probably get a blue label.

As for pricing on green labels, it's usually about the same as a book with slight (P) restoration in a purple label, unless the book has a green label because of an unverified signature or a cut coupon.

What kind of grade drop?

One more opinion... A 2" tear is awfully long. If it's on the right edge of the cover, it's probably going to affect the structural integrity when you open the cover (i.e. you'll need to handle the cover with great care so the tear doesn't worsen, unlike with a smaller tear which can pretty much be ignored). With that "fragility" aspect in mind, I'd have trouble going higher than unqualified 4.5/5.0 range. confused-smiley-013.gif

What kind of grade drop?

One more opinion... A 2" tear is awfully long. If it's on the right edge of the cover, it's probably going to affect the structural integrity when you open the cover (i.e. you'll need to handle the cover with great care so the tear doesn't worsen, unlike with a smaller tear which can pretty much be ignored).

Correct.

My 10 cents ... for what it's worth.

Your dilemma points up the extreme subjectivity of grading comics, no matter what era they hail from.

If a book is "perfect" in every way but one, it isn't "perfect"; thus from a buyers perspective it is the "technical" grade that matters most. As the seller, it is desirable to present the comic in as favorable a light as possible, so providing a "qualified" grade with a brief explanation and a price point somewhere between the "qualified" grade and the "technical" grade seems reasonable. Ultimately, from a price perspective, the buyer dictates the grade at the time of purchase.

If the book is accurately described, and fairly priced the seller has met his/her obligation to the buyer and the ethics of our hobby.

My additional 5 cents worth ... the 2" tear reduces the 8.5 to not more than a 4.5 "technically" speaking ... in my humble opinion. confused-smiley-013.gif

Mark, my honest opinion...

I'm thinking have the tear sealed, and the book pressed. Sell it raw and you'll basically be able to ask any price you want. Maybe consult with Nelson on what kind of grade bump it would get.

It's a marvelous looking book BTW and you won't see too many, even in this condition! I feel priviledged just to be looking at even a nice scan of a copy! flowerred.gif

Mark, my honest opinion...

I'm thinking have the tear sealed, and the book pressed. Sell it raw and you'll basically be able to ask any price you want. Maybe consult with Nelson on what kind of grade bump it would get.

It's a marvelous looking book BTW and you won't see too many, even in this condition! I feel priviledged just to be looking at even a nice scan of a copy! flowerred.gif

I'm not sure the pressing would do much, if anything, to increase the grade. Certainly sealing the tear would but I'd just as soon keep it unrestored. Such a gorgeous looking copy. Not many unretored copies of this book in existence! But to each his own of course! hi.gif