• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #100 Stored in a Duffel Bag

28 posts in this topic

Okay I'm way new here but I just purchased 300+ 1966-1972 comics and Believe it or not the guy had them stored in a duffel bag in his garage. I'm from Michigan and I believe the books originated in Nebraska until about 6 months ago.

I've been out of collecting for about 10 years. I have mostly newer books from 1980-1990. I've read lots about CGC grading and would like an opinion on if some of these comics I bought are worth having graded by CGC.

Here is a front/back and inside pic of ASM #100. Please let me know what you think. I've also got 71, 72, 74, 75, 77, 82, 87-91, 95-100, 108, 109, 112, & 115 from this group.

Russ

212251-MVC-602F.JPG.aeb40ea41eee760c3ec0269e8edf0098.JPG

Okay I'll have to work on the images at my web site. That will take few days. I don't have a scanner just a digital camera.

Anyway, say it may be a VF 8.0 that would put it at 153.00 for overstreet. Would having CGC grade it and encapsulate forever make it worth more if they grade it at 8.0?

I'm new to this CGC grading and from what I can tell it's 29 or 49 to have them grade it plus mailing and insurance both ways. Anyone here think I should do this to protect it better for my son or sell in the near future?

Russ

These comments only pertain to Silver and Bronze books:

You can't look at Overstreet value and get an accurate read on prices. Below NM-, they are usually too high, and above NM- they are usually too low.

Most books below NM- sell for close to guide price IF THEY ARE SLABBED. Therefore, on a $50 guide value VF/NM book, you might get a total return of $50 but you need to spend the $25-30 to get it graded.

Better to try to sell the book "Raw" with a really good picture on eBay. You probably won't get $50 but you might get $35. And if you did get them CGC'd and they came back less than VF/NM, you probably should thank your luck stars if you sell it for the grading fee amount.

I think as time goes on, more and more people will realize what books should be graded, and what should not.

So if I slabbed this book then I may be able to get the guide price depending on the grading. If I just sell it raw then I'm looking at about 60-70% of guide?

Okay I'm happy with the input I've recieved on this grading. I'm not really into selling any/part of my collection though. I'm just looking for long term storage. What if I slabbed it and stored it for 10-15 years? In your opinion would the cost of slabbing be worth it for the grading/storage container? Is this type of storage any better then boarding and bagging long term? Is it better to slab it now or later?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum thread to post this question.

Russ

A slabbed copy is definitely more protected than a bag and board. But do you really want to shell out $25-30 per book for protection?

In most cases, the main goal in getting a book slabbed is to increase "liquidity" for that book. In other words, buyers know what a CGC NM- Amazing Spider-Man #100 should be worth, therefore if they see you selling yours for 10% cheaper than another seller, they might buy your copy. This is because CGC has certified the grade and performed a restoration check. If you buy "Raw" books, unless you have experience with the seller, you really don't know what you are getting.

Once again, if you think the books are very high grade NM- or better, than maybe you should certify a few if you plan on selling them. If you don't plan on selling them, I would recomend putting them in bags (or mylar) and boards, and then consider slabbing them only when it is time to sell.

Dave,

The best part was they parted ways for $100. Turns out to be 326 books

21 - Sub Mariner Misc. 3-56 (Including #8),

35- Adventure Comics Misc. 304-424 (Including 2 #381's),

Plus DareDevel, Worlds Finest, Detective Comics, Captain Action, Captian America, Fatastic Four, Sgt. Fury

They made the offer on price. I was happy they were happy. cloud9.gif

Russ

Russ not only is having a book slabbed for protection not cheap but you arn't supposed to leave it in the slab for 10-15 years. CGC says they need to be replaced every 7 years to be most effective. That is something else you need to consider.

Ericc123

I am certainly glad you told me that. I didn't see that reading through the CGC info online. This forum has been more help to me than anyone I've discussed comics with including comic store owners in my area. I'm impressed with the speed of replies and the knowledge of everyone here.

Thank you to everyone. All the threads I've read here were helpful and detailed enough to help even the newest collectors.

Russ