• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: whos it gonna be saturday night......Liddell or Ortiz

110 posts in this topic

I understand what your saying. I think most fighters probably dont like Tito 27_laughing.gif. I just think that Titos ground game is better then Chucks. Chucks stand up is def better then Titos. Chuck better be in good shape. I dont remember the last fight he had that went into the 2nd round. Hopefully its not a quick fight.

Even if Ortiz tries to shoot and take this to the ground where he might have a chance, Liddell will still pound him in the back of the head with shots and it will be all over. Ortiz is a punk.

1) How is Ortiz a punk?

2) Liddell isn't going to win by "pounding him in the back of the head with shots" because you can't finish a fight with an illegal move. That's like saying Ortiz will win by getting Liddell on the ground and stepping on his crotch.

UFC is lame and if it wasn't for Chuck and the new match ups with the Pride figthers I wouldn't even watch it anymore.

shoot, there we're some great fights in 2006. Pierre vs. Hughes. how can you complain about that.

Sure and there were 10 bad ones for every good one.

yeahok.gif guess my expectations aren’t so high

UFC is lame and if it wasn't for Chuck and the new match ups with the Pride figthers I wouldn't even watch it anymore.

shoot, there we're some great fights in 2006. Pierre vs. Hughes. how can you complain about that.

Sure and there were 10 bad ones for every good one.

yeahok.gif guess my expectations aren’t so high

Watch the Pride FC and you will see some real talent at every weight class.

Even if Ortiz tries to shoot and take this to the ground where he might have a chance, Liddell will still pound him in the back of the head with shots and it will be all over. Ortiz is a punk.

1) How is Ortiz a punk?

2) Liddell isn't going to win by "pounding him in the back of the head with shots" because you can't finish a fight with an illegal move. That's like saying Ortiz will win by getting Liddell on the ground and stepping on his crotch.

If Ortiz doesn't act like a punk I don't know who does. Is a good figther, yes. Is he going to lose to Liddell again, yes.

1) How is Ortiz a punk?

If Ortiz doesn't act like a punk I don't know who does. Is a good figther, yes. Is he going to lose to Liddell again, yes.

To me, guys like Melvin Gullard(sp?), Ed "short fuze" Herman and Chris Leben are punks. Skilled or not, they're too cocky for their own good and they lack the humility required to develop the skills they do have because they already think they're the toughest SOB's on the planet. Tito is a showman. While he obviously has his own career interests at heart, he also genuinely cares about the UFC and his antics are, in large part, his way of making the UFC more entertaining. Back when he had the belt, he was doing the talk shows, radio spots, and anything else he could to get UFC out in the mainstream at a time when the Fertitta brothers were close to pulling the plug on the entire organization. And unlike Shamrock, he took a genuine interest in coaching guys who may eventually be among his toughest competition. I really don't think he's in it purely for the money and he's gotten to the point in his career where he dosen't have to prove himself. His motivation seems to come from a love for what he does combined with a desire to get the UFC "on the map". If he really were a "punk", his motivations would be different.

he took a genuine interest in coaching guys who may eventually be among his toughest competition.

That spoke volumes about his true character. I think all his showboating and bravado are just, like you said, a way to draw attention to the UFC. NO WAY would he have taken the time and effort to teach those guys what he did if he was as cocky, arrogant and self-centered as people say he is. Narcissistic people, by definition, don't care that much about others and are fundamentally incable of being effective teachers.

That spoke volumes about his true character. I think all his showboating and bravado are just, like you said, a way to draw attention to the UFC.

That's exactly it, and only the weak minded are fooled as to his real character. He's actually a well-spoken, nice guy that plays up the "bad boy" image because that's what sells the cheap seats.

That spoke volumes about his true character. I think all his showboating and bravado are just, like you said, a way to draw attention to the UFC.

That's exactly it, and only the weak minded are fooled as to his real character. He's actually a well-spoken, nice guy that plays up the "bad boy" image because that's what sells the cheap seats.

Or maybe he is just a jerk? Like I said when he loses he makes excuses and all the big talk is gone. He had to adjust his image to a nice guy just so he could get back into the game.

He had to adjust his image to a nice guy just so he could get back into the game.

Huh? He's never acted like a nice guy for any UFC fight yet. He continues to act the "bad boy" part that fills the cheap seats, and the UFC is happy to have him. The UFC is not far from wrestling in that way, with many fighters putting on "different faces" to play their part in the drama.

I was referring to how he projects himself at non-UFC events and at other public venues. He's far from a dumb guy, and knows exactly what sells.

Or maybe he is just a jerk? Like I said when he loses he makes excuses and all the big talk is gone.

So he has a flaw in his character that's all too common in MMA and in most sports for that matter. There are VERY FEW fighters that I know of who don't use "big talk"(which by the way is an integral part of UFC's marketing) before the fight, or make some effort to "explain" a loss after it. The only reason you and many others seem bent on assigning this behavior to Ortiz is because he stands out. Ironically, by hating his behaviour you're playing right into his game. He knows that by getting people to love him, he'll get people to pay to see him fight. And if you hate him, you'll pay to see him get his arse handed to him. Either way he's in the spotlight, he makes his money, and he does his part for the sport.

You don't have to like him, but don't hate him because he's a "punk". He deserves more respect than that.

For the record, I hope Liddell didn't buy that Ferrari on credit, because he's going to lose his title tonight. Eye-gouging can only take you so far.

Then again, the Eyesman will probably make another opponent go blind. foreheadslap.gif

that's an aspect of mma, and specifically grappling that you don't want to happen, or for it to come down to being the only reason a fight was lost or won.

i was pissed when he did it to Couture, but it does happen, and i would say in that case it was unintentional, and not the only reason why Liddell won that fight.

what about GSP kicking Hughes in the gonads twice before winning the title? not saying that's the only reason GSP won, but twice - c'mon! that's a dirty tactic, to get your opponent off their game, plain and simple.

i say Ortiz, but i also see this one going to a decision, and its favouring Ortiz despite the fact that everyone's thinking its Liddell's win on the finally tally.