• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: whos it gonna be saturday night......Liddell or Ortiz

110 posts in this topic

It's ok, JC, I expect you to be wrong! wink.gif

That's my point, there is no right or wrong. It's just personal preference.

For example, I really hope the Senators win the Cup this year and would post that choice in a generic "Who Will Win the Cup" thread, but if there was a pool or contest with actual winnings, I'd definitely pick a different team. 27_laughing.gif

It's amazing how many people here backed the wrong horse. Nice job. Liddell destroys Ortiz again.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9022596213053321567&q=ufc+66&hl=en

i just saw the fight, and i can't believe no one saw this as a staged fight.

what happened to Liddell near the end of the first round? who was that in the ring??

backing-off when he had Ortiz?? that's not Liddell. and please don't give me this respect thing, or that they go way back. Liddell is one of the most merciless when it comes to sniffing blood.

i'm no lip reader, but at the end of the round, i'm pretty sure he asked Ortiz to bring a real challenger into the octagon.

the rest of the fight was to prolong the whole ppv experience, and sell a few more beers to the crowd.

those announcers remind me of the days of Sabres homer-hockey commentating - they played up the whole Ortiz is a warrior *spoon*, training in high-altitudes for the fight, blah, blah, blah. gimme a break.

as far as i'm concerned, that fight was over before it even started, and why Liddell didn't finish it when he could have easily done so looks like the UFC is dangerously attempting to bankroll their business model on the same schemes and tactics that killed professional boxing.

It's amazing how many people here backed the wrong horse. Nice job. Liddell destroys Ortiz again.

27_laughing.gif Whatever bud. Ortiz has been training for 10 months straight and Liddell can't touch his conditioning. Chuck was having a difficult time pinning him down and it was very possible that Ortiz could have worn him out just enough to get him on the ground and pound him into oblivion in one of the later rounds. Obviously, Chuck caught him, but this fight was NOT one sided. Tito won the 2nd round by pushing the pace and he continued to do so in 3 just before he got caught. He beat him, but he didn't "destroy" him.

Great event...probably my favorite in the last few years. My thoughts:

MacDonald is looking good.

Andrei Arlovski's holding onto the fence really annoyed me. I still think he is one of the most overrated fights in the UFC.

Jardine put a whoopin' on Forrest. I was really impressed with this speed; even in slow motion his flury when standing was impressive and all of his shots on the ground landed hard.

Tito Ortiz seemed to have a good game plan for Chuck: wear him down with kicks and take the fight into the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds where Chuck is less experienced. Once again Tito's big mistake was standing toe-to-toe with Liddell. I thought that the ref (Mario) should have let the fight continue longer, especially when Tito was in the middle of getting up/away from Chuck when he stepped in.

what about GSP kicking Hughes in the gonads twice before winning the title? not saying that's the only reason GSP won, but twice - c'mon! that's a dirty tactic, to get your opponent off their game, plain and simple.

I can't believe that you would actually think that GSP would intentionally do that. If you watch the 2nd kick, you can clearly see GSP was falling backwards from a strike when the kick landed.

I thought that the ref (Mario) should have let the fight continue longer, especially when Tito was in the middle of getting up/away from Chuck when he stepped in.

damn straight

Well, if the fight was staged, wouldn't the ref had let it continue? They aren't going to stage the first round and end the third prematurely. Doesn't make a lot of sense. confused-smiley-013.gif

as far as i'm concerned, that fight was over before it even started, and why Liddell didn't finish it when he could have easily done so looks like the UFC is dangerously attempting to bankroll their business model on the same schemes and tactics that killed professional boxing.

With all due respect Joseph, this is way out there. Tito's legs were up and if I'm remembering correctly, he almost caught Liddell with an up kick. He's comfortable with his stand up, so if he knew that Tito was hurt, why not back off and wait until he could get in a better position to finish him with less risk?

Could you be any more wrong? makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif

not asking for agreement, but neither one of them looked like the fighters they truly are. Liddell left his killing instinct behind at the bar on his way the fight, and Ortiz's brain must have been fried from all the high-altitude training. i looked at it as a contest that began and ended when the checks were signed and cashed at the bank. the rest was just these two guys going through the motions.

With all due respect Joseph, this is way out there. Tito's legs were up and if I'm remembering correctly, he almost caught Liddell with an up kick. He's comfortable with his stand up, so if he knew that Tito was hurt, why not back off and wait until he could get in a better position to finish him with less risk?

Ortiz wanted him to come down because the grounds his game. But the minute he realized Liddell wanted nothing to do with that, he got back up, and Liddell looked like a zombie for the remainder of the round.

He didn't even want to get near Ortiz. After delivering that shot to the temple, and the second Ortiz got back on his feet, the Liddell I've always known would been on him like a fly on stink...

like I said, i called it like i saw it and i'm not asking for agreement on opinion here, but to me, that guy standing in the blue trunks for Liddell was either an imposter, or this is a side of Liddell i've never ever seen before, and one that in my mind became absent-minded of the fact that he was in there defending his title.

I thought that the ref (Mario) should have let the fight continue longer, especially when Tito was in the middle of getting up/away from Chuck when he stepped in.

damn straight

Well, if the fight was staged, wouldn't the ref had let it continue? They aren't going to stage the first round and end the third prematurely. Doesn't make a lot of sense. confused-smiley-013.gif

sure, but i wasn't really intent on starting a conspiracy either with my statement - it was meant more as an impact statement that this was hardly the fight i was expecting out of these two.

what happened to Liddell near the end of the first round? who was that in the ring??

backing-off when he had Ortiz?? that's not Liddell. and please don't give me this respect thing, or that they go way back. Liddell is one of the most merciless when it comes to sniffing blood.

i'm no lip reader, but at the end of the round, i'm pretty sure he asked Ortiz to bring a real challenger into the octagon.

the rest of the fight was to prolong the whole ppv experience, and sell a few more beers to the crowd.

those announcers remind me of the days of Sabres homer-hockey commentating - they played up the whole Ortiz is a warrior *spoon*, training in high-altitudes for the fight, blah, blah, blah. gimme a break.

"Staged" is probably not the word you're looking for - I think you're suggesting that Liddell "carried" Tito for a couple of rounds. Either way, that's nonsense. He was being cautious and not taking any chances, that's all. He was in complete control. It's not the first time I've seen Chuck do that - get a guy hurt, then back off and pick his shots until he's sure it's time to go in for the kill. And of course that's exactly what he did a couple rounds later when he felt the time was right. He's very intelligent fighter.

And can I just say:

RAMPAGE AND CRO_COP IN DA HOUSE!! yay.gifheadbang.gif

Either way, that's nonsense. He was being cautious and not taking any chances, that's all. He was in complete control. It's not the first time I've seen Chuck do that - get a guy hurt, then back off and pick his shots until he's sure it's time to go in for the kill.

Yeah, Chuck always does that - he hurts a guy, then goes into "energy conservation" mode, picking his shots carefully and waiting for an opening.

I remember he did that against Vernon White to perfection.

Looking at the fight, Ortiz could've had a really good shot had it gone to the judges. This wasnt' an easy fight for Liddell at all.

What were you watching?

damn straight

Yeah, he sure looked like he was planning his getaway while in the fetal position.

Andrei Arlovski's holding onto the fence really annoyed me. I still think he is one of the most overrated fights in the UFC.

Jardine put a whoopin' on Forrest. I was really impressed with this speed; even in slow motion his flury when standing was impressive and all of his shots on the ground landed hard.

Tito Ortiz seemed to have a good game plan for Chuck: wear him down with kicks and take the fight into the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds where Chuck is less experienced. Once again Tito's big mistake was standing toe-to-toe with Liddell. I thought that the ref (Mario) should have let the fight continue longer, especially when Tito was in the middle of getting up/away from Chuck when he stepped in.

what about GSP kicking Hughes in the gonads twice before winning the title? not saying that's the only reason GSP won, but twice - c'mon! that's a dirty tactic, to get your opponent off their game, plain and simple.

I can't believe that you would actually think that GSP would intentionally do that. If you watch the 2nd kick, you can clearly see GSP was falling backwards from a strike when the kick landed.

Where did Jardine come from? Wasnt he on a season of the TUF show?

Where did Jardine come from? Wasnt he on a season of the TUF show?

Yes, he lost to Rashad Evans in the semis

Either way, that's nonsense. He was being cautious and not taking any chances, that's all. He was in complete control. It's not the first time I've seen Chuck do that - get a guy hurt, then back off and pick his shots until he's sure it's time to go in for the kill.

Yeah, Chuck always does that - he hurts a guy, then goes into "energy conservation" mode, picking his shots carefully and waiting for an opening.

I remember he did that against Vernon White to perfection.

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

Looking at the fight, Ortiz could've had a really good shot had it gone to the judges. This wasnt' an easy fight for Liddell at all.

What were you watching?

Round 1 Liddell

Round 2 Ortiz

Round 3 random punch caught Ortiz and fight was called

Had the fight continued it wouldn't have been easy on Liddell by a long shot. I don't know what YOU were watching but Ortiz was definately in better condition, just the punches if landed randomly/luckily or not are devastating. Had Liddell been held back Ortiz had a good shot at winning through points alone. As someone mentioned before Liddell didn't fight like he usually does.

Oh and I'm a Liddell fan compared to Ortiz. I won't continue this because it'll all come down to opinions anyways but just making my point. Either way rampage and Cro-cop will now destroy everyone on UFC anyways.