• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: whos it gonna be saturday night......Liddell or Ortiz

110 posts in this topic

Where did Jardine come from? Wasnt he on a season of the TUF show?

Yep, and like most of the other Season 2 fighters he didn't look too impressive at the time. He looks like he has been doing some good training since...

"Staged" is probably not the word you're looking for - I think you're suggesting that Liddell "carried" Tito for a couple of rounds.

thats what i saw. and in my opinion Tito didn't win any round. nothing he did worked. he was beat up pretty good and Lidell wasn't hurt.

in round one Ortiz went for thr takedown just one time. and it was weak. and thats his game. then at the end of the first round Liddell cliped him with i think a left and Ortiz was out for a couple of seconds. Liddell jumped on him and just started pounding him for a while. but the reff didn't call it. IMO same situation any other fight they would have called that. but the reff just let him go. and then 10 seconds later Liddell just lets Ortiz get up. it made no sence. confused-smiley-013.gif

it's like someone kicking you in the balls and aplogizing while beating you down even more.

Sure, but with groin kicking in the UFC, you get "as much time as possible" to recover, and can even request a no-contest if you're really injured. Plus, you have protection down there.

No such luck for eye gouging, and the fight goes on no matter if one fighter is legally blind - and I don't recall the UFC allowing goggles or eye shields for fighters. . makepoint.gif

it's like someone kicking you in the balls and aplogizing while beating you down even more.

Sure, but with groin kicking in the UFC, you get "as much time as possible" to recover, and can even request a no-contest if you're really injured. Plus, you have protection down there.

No such luck for eye gouging, and the fight goes on no matter if one fighter is legally blind - and I don't recall the UFC allowing goggles or eye shields for fighters. . makepoint.gif

The only thing that can be done is a re-design of the gloves. Boo-*spoon*ing-hoo for Tito Ortiz.

i don't think it was the "eye gouging" that scared Ortiz.

No, this one was pretty cool on that end, and it didn't seem that any of the Eyesman's thumb-punches entered Ortiz' eye socket.

But that's a rare occurence for Chuckie, and anyone fighting him has to have the threat of eye-gouging in their back of his mind.

Is Liddell purposefully gouging his opponents eyes or is this a result of an improperly thrown, open handed left jab that keeps poking into the eye socket accidentally? In boxing, you are not allowed to jab with an open hand so until the UFC changes this rule any fighter must be concerned with eye jabs/pokes whether accidental or not.

Didn't see the fight, but why was Ortiz not able to take Liddell down to the ground and land a few elbows in his direction?

Is Liddell purposefully gouging his opponents eyes or is this a result of an improperly thrown, open handed left jab that keeps poking into the eye socket accidentally?

Liddell is far from a classic boxer, and throws a lot of loopy overhand punches that lead with the thumb. Just extend your arm out from your body, raise it slightly, then without changing your fist angle, swing around in a "C" motion - then check out what part of your hand is pointing in towards your opponent.

Chuck has also been shown many times (in slow-mo) of extending the thumb out during the punch, making for a devastating eye-gouge that can literally end the fight... or could even damage an opponent's sight permanently.

I'm sure Chuckie and his fans will say it's totally unintentional 27_laughing.gif, but you'd be pretty naive to think that his punching style combined with the multiple occurences of eye-gouging are all "just an accident". foreheadslap.gif

The part I can't wrap my head around with Liddell is how off balance and/or flat footed he looks out there all the time. Doesn't move like an athlete and it surprises me to see him winning all the time. He just looks like he's stumbling around awkwardly out there with the right hand loaded and ready to fire and not much else. I guess his punches are just that good and maybe the flat footedness is being planted for the punch but there's part of me that's surprised at his success.

Chuck has never looked very athletic to me either and his success with other great wrestlers has baffled me. Coutre, Horn, Ortiz, Belfort, Monson, Sobral, etc. have had one hell of a time taking him to the ground/pound or submitting him (only Horn did about 7 years ago). His punches are obviously devastating but as Joe noted, they are thrown so awkwardly and looping that he looks almost amateurish out there confused-smiley-013.gif.

Chuck has two things going for him: 1) innate, born-with-it knockout power, and 2) incredible take-down defense. When you combine that with his patented eye-gouging technique, it makes him tough to beat.

Then again, I'm very surprised everyone doesn't bum-rush him into the wire, and start laying on the elbows and knees, a technique that has proven very successful. Don't strike with him, don't take him down, just close the gap bigtime.

Thats what I thought Ortiz was going to do. Rather than going for Chuck's legs which he is able to defend expertly, just charge him and go right into his upper body against the cage and then let the better fight grappler take him down. You have to be an *spoon* to stand up with him and let him catch you with one of his haymaker punches.

Chuck also fought K. Randleman who was a decorated wrestling champion and Liddell knocked him out silly. The only person to employ the bum rush technique I believe was Rampage Jackson and Liddell didn't like that outcome very much 893scratchchin-thumb.gif