• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Like Some Nice Brown Stains on Your 9.4 Near-Mint Book?

41 posts in this topic

rantpost.gif Received a CGC 9.2 book today and was surprised to find some brown stains

(aka "foxing" on the otherwise white cover). Upon checking the latest

Guide, I find that according to "Overstreet" standards, foxing is allowed

on not only 9.2s but also 9.4s!

In my opinion, any book with brown stains on the cover is not near-mint!

How insane is this? If there are a couple stress creases or blunt

corners, an otherwise perfect book is bumped down to an 8.5, but

a 9.4 can have foxing.

Which would you rather have? A 9.4 with brown stains, off-white

(really tan-colored) paper, or an 8.5 with fresh, white paper and

no ugly stains? No contest in my opinion.

I have to conclude one of the reasons many dealers like selling

CGC books is they feel it relieves them of the tedious task of

describing the book's flaws in detail.

Its more evidence of how badly flawed the current CGC grading

system is.

You bought this CGC comic sight unseen? Buy the book not the label. Not all 9.2s are created equal. Get some scans, ask questions, then base your decision on that information. Don't blame Overstreet or CGC.

You bought this CGC comic sight unseen? Buy the book not the label. Not all 9.2s are created equal. Get some scans, ask questions, then base your decision on that information. Don't blame Overstreet or CGC.

The point is though that there are plenty of flaws that you cannot see through the slab. CGC is doing a good job, but lets not start making it out to be the perfect grading system.

The point is though that there are plenty of flaws that you cannot see through the slab. CGC is doing a good job, but lets not start making it out to be the perfect grading system.

He can't see brown stains on a white cover? I never said they were perfect, but I'm sick & tired of these whiny . mad.gif

He can't see brown stains on a white cover? I never said they were perfect, but I'm sick & tired of these whiny . mad.gif

Tell us what you really think! sumo.gif

Tell us what you really think! sumo.gif

negative7.jpg

Sigh...you used that last nigh in response to TJ! You used to have more tricks up your sleeve! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another repeat! BTW...I would give you some props if you had created it yourself! 893frustrated.gif

boo_hoo.jpg

Sweet....something new! grin.gif

Some dealers on Ebay now do not even post scans for CGC books.

In many other cases, the scans are too small or low-resolution to

see flaws that are obvious upon first-hand inspection.

Its much easier to call someone a "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" than make an intelligent

reply that shows some thought. Unfortunately, unless forums like

this are strongly moderated the bad tends to drive out the good after

a while.

Its much easier to call someone a "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" than make an intelligent

reply that shows some thought.

You tell him dad...........the nerve of some of these people. mad.gif

Are you gonna put a protective slab on tonight and slip mom a bone white copy of your Man Thing? 9-lech.gif

reply that shows some thought.

You tell him dad...........the nerve of some of these people. mad.gif

Are you gonna put a protective slab on tonight and slip mom a bone white copy of your Man Thing? 9-lech.gif

You're a "insufficiently_thoughtful_person"... sumo.gif

How is he being whiny to say a Near Mint comic shouldn't have foxing? I agree with him, and I don't believe his point to be at all negative or destructive because he's not harping on a one-time mistake on CGC's part, but rather criticizing a potential problem with their standards.

I have to wonder how severe the foxing on his 9.2 was. To say that a NM comic can have "no" foxing is too absolute; it depends on how severe the foxing is as to whether it merits a NM grade or not.