• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Like Some Nice Brown Stains on Your 9.4 Near-Mint Book?

41 posts in this topic

Not really replying to anyone in particular as many here that posted made very valid points on the subject. I read through this thread again and when I start to picture "classic" foxing on a comic, in my mind's eye, I can't picture it comfortably on any high grade Silver age book. Foxing just isn't a defect that one associates with or expects to see on 1960 and up comics.

I can picture some very beautiful Timelys I've seen and owned with light foxing on the covers graded VF and better (how about the Larsons...most of those have foxing to one degree or another). I recall some Golden age Flashs with foxing that would be extremely high grade if you didn't detract points for foxing, and I know that all ages of comics are supposed to be looked upon equally, but that just isn't so.

I see Golden age books with 9.4 grades that a Silver age book would score an 8.5 to 9.0 on were the identical defects present on both books!!

Where the mind/eye may accept foxing, even subliminally, as an acceptible defect allowable in high grade on a Golden age book (basically because we've seen it so many times on so many otherwise beautiful books if not for the foxing), I think that the majority of us reject foxing as an acceptible defect on a high grade Silver age book. It's something that is not as often encountered on Silver age books and just seems way out of place on high grade 1960 and up comics, its presence being far more disruptive an element on Silver than on Golden age books.