• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers insert question Amazing 129
1 1

26 posts in this topic

A friend of mine recently acquired an Amazing Spider-Man 129 in 9.0-9.2 (pushing 9.2) condition with the Mark Jewelers insert. What is the "market" for these keys with the inserts...basically how much more than usual can he expect to get for his copy?

Thanks for any info you can share!!!

A friend of mine recently acquired an Amazing Spider-Man 129 in 9.0-9.2 (pushing 9.2) condition with the Mark Jewelers insert. What is the "market" for these keys with the inserts...basically how much more than usual can he expect to get for his copy?

For HG keys, he can expect a modest increase (about 10-15%) over a similar copy without the insert.

Jim

For HG keys, he can expect a modest increase (about 10-15%) over a similar copy without the insert.

Jim

Thanks!!! Any info on the "print runs" of the insert books?

Any info on the "print runs" of the insert books?

Not that I know of...they are vastly less distributed than copies without the insert. Regardless, I'm not sure saying it's less than 10% of the total existing inventory isn't being overly optimist...

Jim

Any info on the "print runs" of the insert books?

Not that I know of...they are vastly less distributed than copies without the insert. Regardless, I'm not sure saying it's less than 10% of the total existing inventory isn't being overly optimist...

Jim

I would think they would be less than 10% of the printrun.They were only distributed thru Post Exchanges and that couldn't have been 1% of the sales locations.

As far as surviving copies go,I've yet to hear of any "hoard" of these turning up ala MH2. Has anyone?

I would think they would be less than 10% of the printrun.They were only distributed thru Post Exchanges and that couldn't have been 1% of the sales locations.

As far as surviving copies go,I've yet to hear of any "hoard" of these turning up ala MH2. Has anyone?

I was going to go lower but gave a higher percentage to ward off any questions since no one knows for sure. In reality, it's probably much lower then 10% and your 1% quote may not be far off considering they were sold exclusively overseas.

Jim

I was going to go lower but gave a higher percentage to ward off any questions since no one knows for sure. In reality, it's probably much lower then 10% and your 1% quote may not be far off considering they were sold exclusively overseas.

???

Says who? The collection I bought came from North Carolina.

???

Info came from a former AAFES distribution manager who handled magazines as part of his duties in the early 70s...

Also, if you look at the Mennen and AS inserts, they were geared towards servicemen stationed overseas. And I personally bought comics from stateside BXs in the mid-70s and again in the 80s and not one contained MJ inserts...

The collection you bought may have come back from overseas when the servicemember PCS'd back to the States? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

I seem to recall getting a few from The St Albans Naval Hospital around 1969.

The NDS/MJ inserts started with April 1971 coverdated Marvels. If you have some from 1969, I'd be very curious to see them...

Jim

Thats odd.Although on further thought,it may well have been 1971.I remember showing my Dad the ad and him saying they must be junk.I was in that hospital twice. Once the nite the final episode of The Fugitive aired and once a few years later.

btw-Was there an insert in some comics that advertised one or two year old cars at unrealistic low prices? I remember showing my father these as well,but haven't found the ad in a back issue comic.

Thats odd.Although on further thought,it may well have been 1971.I remember showing my Dad the ad and him saying they must be junk.I was in that hospital twice. Once the nite the final episode of The Fugitive aired and once a few years later.

btw-Was there an insert in some comics that advertised one or two year old cars at unrealistic low prices? I remember showing my father these as well,but haven't found the ad in a back issue comic.

I can't recall ever seeing one... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

???

Info came from a former AAFES distribution manager who handled magazines as part of his duties in the early 70s...

Also, if you look at the Mennen and AS inserts, they were geared towards servicemen stationed overseas. And I personally bought comics from stateside BXs in the mid-70s and again in the 80s and not one contained MJ inserts...

The collection you bought may have come back from overseas when the servicemember PCS'd back to the States? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

I don't think he's correct. The guy I bought them from was a dependant (he's shoud be in his mid 40s now) and his family were at Ft. Bragg. The inserts from his collection span from 71 (ND ad) to a random mid-80s Conan. I don't recall him ever saying his family was overseas nor do I think they would have been there for 10+ years. I think I still have the guy's number. I'll call him if I can find it.

I almost positive that all bases didn't get them. There are about a dozen military bases in San Antonio and you rarely see MJIs from there. Some turn up but those are most likely from people who transfered in. When I was digging for 30¢ variants back in the day I was always on the look out for a varaint with an MJI. Logic would dictate that San Antonio would be the best place to find one. To this date (8 years later), not a single one.

I agree that the Mennen and AS ads are for overseas but I think it was a case of one fits all. Every book with an MJI that went to bases got one.

I don't think he's correct. The guy I bought them from was a dependant (he's shoud be in his mid 40s now) and his family were at Ft. Bragg. The inserts from his collection span from 71 (ND ad) to a random mid-80s Conan. I don't recall him ever saying his family was overseas nor do I think they would have been there for 10+ years. I think I still have the guy's number. I'll call him if I can find it.

If you talk to him I'd be interested in hearing where he got them. I know, for a fact, Ft Bragg BX comics didn't contain the MJ inserts from 1986-on...

I almost positive that all bases didn't get them. There are about a dozen military bases in San Antonio and you rarely see MJIs from there. Some turn up but those are most likely from people who transfered in. When I was digging for 30¢ variants back in the day I was always on the look out for a varaint with an MJI. Logic would dictate that San Antonio would be the best place to find one. To this date (8 years later), not a single one.

You rarely see MJ inserts in any bulk even around military bases. I've scoured back issues around military bases in NY (Fort Drum), NC (Bragg and Seymour), SC (Shaw and Charleston), FL (Jacksonville, Pensacola, Eglin, and Hurlburt), Georgia (Moody and Hunter), Virginia (Norfolk and Langley), TX (Hood and Bliss) and Mass (Hanscom). The only places I found MJ inserts in any stock at all was Pensacola and Charleston. And even then it wasn't much...

The only times I've gotten MJ inserts in bulk was in buying collections from indivduals previously assigned overseas or from German dealers selling US comics...

Jim

For what its worth....

I purchased a small 150-200 book collection from an individual who grew up on a base in Germany in the 70s. About 80-85% of the books contained MJ inserts. Only normal sized comics, even though larger books did contain the same "star stamp" A smaller % (maybe only 10 books) had the double cover type ad with 2 different variations.

I also won a lot off ebay awhile back in which a high percentage of books had MJ insert. I emailed the seller and he did indeed purchase these while in Germany as well. This collection included some early books like amazing spidey 97 (which I still have) and 101. There were no double cover ads in this smaller batch.

The question I have would be where the double cover ads came from. Are they specific to certain books or yet another slice of the print run received them?