• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers insert question Amazing 129
1 1

26 posts in this topic

For what its worth....

I purchased a small 150-200 book collection from an individual who grew up on a base in Germany in the 70s. About 80-85% of the books contained MJ inserts. Only normal sized comics, even though larger books did contain the same "star stamp" A smaller % (maybe only 10 books) had the double cover type ad with 2 different variations.

I also won a lot off ebay awhile back in which a high percentage of books had MJ insert. I emailed the seller and he did indeed purchase these while in Germany as well. This collection included some early books like amazing spidey 97 (which I still have) and 101. There were no double cover ads in this smaller batch.

The question I have would be where the double cover ads came from. Are they specific to certain books or yet another slice of the print run received them?

This should answer your questions...

NDS/MJ Insert Comics

Jim

The collection you bought may have come back from overseas when the servicemember PCS'd back to the States? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim, you gotta remember you're talking to a bunch of civilians here who might not understand the military lingo. You can just say "moved" or "was posted" instead of PCS. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I can also confirm that I purchased comics back in the day from overseas and US bases, and only the ones sold overseas had the inserts.

For what its worth....

I purchased a small 150-200 book collection from an individual who grew up on a base in Germany in the 70s. About 80-85% of the books contained MJ inserts. Only normal sized comics, even though larger books did contain the same "star stamp" A smaller % (maybe only 10 books) had the double cover type ad with 2 different variations.

I also won a lot off ebay awhile back in which a high percentage of books had MJ insert. I emailed the seller and he did indeed purchase these while in Germany as well. This collection included some early books like amazing spidey 97 (which I still have) and 101. There were no double cover ads in this smaller batch.

The question I have would be where the double cover ads came from. Are they specific to certain books or yet another slice of the print run received them?

This should answer your questions...

NDS/MJ Insert Comics

Jim

It sure does. Thanks. If you want I can confirm my remaining 3-5 Mennen ads. I know I have one of the western's you don't have an * on. Just let me know.

A friend of mine recently acquired an Amazing Spider-Man 129 in 9.0-9.2 (pushing 9.2) condition with the Mark Jewelers insert. What is the "market" for these keys with the inserts...basically how much more than usual can he expect to get for his copy?

Thanks for any info you can share!!!

Ok...it was pushing more than a 9.2...it's in encapsulation right now...it's a 9.6!!

He is stoked!!!...I should have bought it for $475 when I had the chance... sorry.gif

I just purchased a run of ASM 198-300 and about 75 of these are all MJI l. He was about 65 and got them all from Germany. However, I do know that some bases across the US had the insert as well. The percentage of the MJI is about 5% of production and was just placed at Military Bases.