• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Kirby art day!

36 posts in this topic

One of the nicer pages that was available on eBay for quite some time! NICE pick-up!

I only saw it on Ebay once... which was when I bought it.

When was it up before that?

Chris

Here's one of my favorite pieces because of its memorable meeting between Thor and a very different enemy -- hippies!.

This 1968 page was extensively rewritten after it was drawn and inked. Originally Thor was supposed to encounter tough teenage "delinquents" who tried to rip off his hammer. Stan Lee's notes lay out the rewrite in detail, changing the tough youths into hippies who are not trying to rip off Thor but instead get him pissed by making fun of his hammer and talking about "dropping out" and not being involved in the fight against evil -- such as Loki.

Here you can see the original art page, which has some of the final changes, but not all. Apparently some of it flaked off, revealing parts of the original;.

Thor154pg17.jpg

You can see the ifnal version as published, in the 2nd scan.

\ Thor154pg17aspub.jpg

The third scan is of the back of the art page, which has rough drawings of the way the hippies were supposed to look (notes on the front indicate to look on back). The mystery here is who drew the faces on the back? Doesn't look like Kirby or Colleta to me. Unless we're talking about one of the Kirby or Colletta children.

Thor154back.jpg

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Josh, you've had some nice pieces on ComicLink lately, that's for sure. I think you've upgraded ComicLink in the eyes of a lot of art collectors. This one, for sure (geez, I sound like Mantis.... tongue.gif )

thumbsup2.gif

Hey, thanks Steve. We intend to have original art auctions regularly and for the Art Exchange listings to be more active as well. Hopefully we can do some business in 2007.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Here;s a Kirby piece that comes with a question -- is it the last time Kirby drew the FF for publication? 1978 "What If?" story was about kirby and the rest of the Marvel bullpen having powers of the FF and using those experiences to create the stories.

This page is the only one from that story depicting the actual comic book FF, as well as the watcher.

I don't know of Kirby drawing the FF for publication any time after this. I think it may also be the only time there was an FF story that was both drawn and written by Kirby.

WhatIf11pg24.jpg

That's VERY COOL! I especially like how you can see Jack's initial vision and the way it appeared in print.

thumbsup2.gif

Here's one of my favorite pieces because of its memorable meeting between Thor and a very different enemy -- hippies!.

This 1968 page was extensively rewritten after it was drawn and inked. Originally Thor was supposed to encounter tough teenage "delinquents" who tried to rip off his hammer. Stan Lee's notes lay out the rewrite in detail, changing the tough youths into hippies who are not trying to rip off Thor but instead get him pissed by making fun of his hammer and talking about "dropping out" and not being involved in the fight against evil -- such as Loki.

Here you can see the original art page, which has some of the final changes, but not all. Apparently some of it flaked off, revealing parts of the original;.

Thor154pg17.jpg

You can see the ifnal version as published, in the 2nd scan.

\ Thor154pg17aspub.jpg

The third scan is of the back of the art page, which has rough drawings of the way the hippies were supposed to look (notes on the front indicate to look on back). The mystery here is who drew the faces on the back? Doesn't look like Kirby or Colleta to me. Unless we're talking about one of the Kirby or Colletta children.

Thor154back.jpg

Thor154back.jpg

That's Roy Thomas at the top . . . grin.gif

Jason King's underneath Roy . . . (UK posters old enough to remember the 70s might remember him? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thor154back.jpg

That's Roy Thomas at the top . . . grin.gif

Jason King's underneath Roy . . . (UK posters old enough to remember the 70s might remember him? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

US posters into offbeat music might remember him, too. His (Peter Wyngarde, that is) one and only record from 1970 is cracked out. Do you know it?

A few comments and art:

Steve not only has a nose for these early silver Kirby gems, but also a wallet! grin.gif

His 60s work may never be in my ballpark. I wish when I was younger and pages like that were be going for $40-$50 at a show that I had the cash or foresight for some. Gives me even more reason to get out of working for a non-profit. Thanks for posting it!

Colletta's inks on Kirby's Thor is about the only place I find them tolerable. Sometimes his line works with the subject, other times it looks too rushed. What's unforgiveable though, are the instances where he simplified the pencils, or flat-out erased characters or objects.

Here;s a Kirby piece that comes with a question -- is it the last time Kirby drew the FF for publication? 1978 "What If?" story was about kirby and the rest of the Marvel bullpen having powers of the FF and using those experiences to create the stories.

This page is the only one from that story depicting the actual comic book FF, as well as the watcher.

I don't know of Kirby drawing the FF for publication any time after this. I think it may also be the only time there was an FF story that was both drawn and written by Kirby.

It was actually the second to last time Kirby drew the FF for publication. The cover of FF 200 (Reed vs. Doom) was published in November 78, What If in October.

Here's my art contribution, my first piece of OA I recently acquired. (The photo isn't the best.) I think I'm in the minority here, but I like Kirby's late 70s Marvel work with Royer. In fact, there's certain pages from that era I'd rather have than "average" Kirby/Sinnott FF pages.

Kirbypanther.jpg