• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Smorgasbord of High Grade Ducks

26 posts in this topic

I've managed to procure a very nice run of HG Uncle Scrooges from the 1950s through the mid-1960s which are now listed in the Heritage January Signature Auction. I submitted them to CGC and was gratified to see that most came back as top or near top of the Census.

Full Disclosure Dept.: I got these books from a very well-respected collector who told me he purchased all of the books in the 90s. None were manipulated while in his possession, nor, to his knowledge, was anything done prior to his possession. He also doesn't think it is likely that anything was done prior to his possession.

I'll start off by highlighting the earliest and latest books from the run, as they are both extraordinary books:

Four Color #495 / Uncle Scrooge #3--CGC 9.2 OW--tied for second in the latest Census with one other book, behind one 9.4 copy

823022016o.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #64--CGC 9.6 OW--all alone at the top of the Census. I was delighted when I heard the grade this one received, because for hardcore Scrooge fans, this is the Silver Age grail.

155825.jpg

Now that the 2 gems have been presented, here's a few more presented in numerical order:

Uncle Scrooge #8 CGC 9.4 W -- tied with one other book at the top of the census. The collector I got it from, who is notorious for being a PQ fiend, tells me that the "pages are snow white -- much better than anything you'll see in a File Copy".

823022011o.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #11 CGC 9.0 OW-W -- tied with one other book at 2nd in the census, with the best copy thus far being "only" a 9.2. Historically a very very tough book to find in NM. BTW, this has got to be one of the nicest looking 9.0s I have ever seen!

823022010o.jpg

Curious as to why you go through Heritage instead of through the boards first. The prices on these are reasonably established at this point, and I don't think anyone would begrudge an outrageous asking price. I've always thought they're two way fees make selling (and buying for that matter) not economically feasible.

My only experience has been with Comiclink which is pretty decent, but only with 2 books possibly as nice as these.

Reduction of buzz perhaps?

Ed

Curious as to why you go through Heritage instead of through the boards first. The prices on these are reasonably established at this point, and I don't think anyone would begrudge an outrageous asking price. I've always thought they're two way fees make selling (and buying for that matter) not economically feasible.

I don't think the boards are the best market for HG Ducks, although a few big players do hang out here. But those same big players also track Heritage, and there are apparently quite a few additional big players who track Heritage but don't hang out on the boards. So the bigger pool of potential buyers is definitely over at Heritage.

The thing about setting an asking price is that by definition you've limited the maximum price you can get. Sure, I could list an asking price of $10K for each book, but then everyone here would be up in arms about me smoking crack, etc. Over the last 2 years, prices for HG Duck books on Heritage have consistently exceeded anything I would ever have thought of asking for, to a degree that made the fees and commissions irrelevant. Anyways, I think it's fairly well known now that if you've got decent books to consign, you can knock Heritage's seller's commissions down pretty low.

People who know me well know that I'm pretty analytical it comes to doing a deal. They know that if I genuinely thought I could get a higher net somewhere other than Heritage, I would switch in a heartbeat. I've sold quite a few non-Duck books recently in private deals (with board members and non-board members) where in my opinion I would not have done as well on a net basis through Heritage or any of the other sites.

My only experience has been with Comiclink which is pretty decent, but only with 2 books possibly as nice as these.

During one of Josh's sales pitches to me regarding where I should sell my books, even he conceded that Heritage is a better place right now to sell HG Ducks. gossip.gif

I would have loved to get the Scrooge 8 for my daughter. It's one of the few covers without a reference to money.

No need to refer to it in the past tense! The auction hasn't been held yet! You can still get it for your daughter! poke2.gif

I would have loved to get the Scrooge 8 for my daughter. It's one of the few covers without a reference to money.

No need to refer to it in the past tense! The auction hasn't been held yet! You can still get it for your daughter! poke2.gif

I dont use Heritage anymore. confused-smiley-013.gif

I dont use Heritage anymore. confused-smiley-013.gif

Your loss. The book is clean. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's two more gems:

Uncle Scrooge #19 CGC 9.2 OW--All alone as the second highest copy in the Census, behind one 9.4 copy.

823022007o.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #25 CGC 9.4 OW-W--Tied with one other copy at the top of the Census, this is one of the real stunners in this run. Look at that black cover, which reveals all flaws. For a copy to have survived in such pristine shape for almost 50 years is a minor miracle!

823022006o.jpg