• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug's Fantastic Fours 103-200

102 posts in this topic

I was wondering who has been buying them off Pedigree?

I saw SilverSurfer had one of them, #147 for a not so friendly $350, but the issues 103-125 went for crazy prices in my book.

Prices you can happily pick up issues from 60 up in 9.6 grade!

And these FF's being bronze book's, the surety that they will stay top graded copies is about the same chance that Marvel won't put out at least 4 or 5 variant issue cover's next month!

FF # 124 9.8 $600!

FF #123 9.8 $750!

FF #121 9.8 $750!

FF #109 $1,000!!!

FF #107 $1,300!!!!!

I was wondering who has been buying them off Pedigree?

I saw SilverSurfer had one of them, #147 for a not so friendly $350, but the issues 103-125 went for crazy prices in my book.

Prices you can happily pick up issues from 60 up in 9.6 grade!

And these FF's being bronze book's, the surety that they will stay top graded copies is about the same chance that Marvel won't put out at least 4 or 5 variant issue cover's next month!

FF # 124 9.8 $600!

FF #123 9.8 $750!

FF #121 9.8 $750!

FF #109 $1,000!!!

FF #107 $1,300!!!!!

I agree. Nutty prices.

Most of those have very few or one 9.8 in the census.

For bronze, thats only matter of an update or two of the census from evaporating ...ga..ran..teed!!

So no, try again.

I just made a statement about why these prices were payed never said anything about the future just the present makepoint.gif

Not to begin this debate again, but this is an example of buying what is to me, a number that is just in someone's head. I mean -- yes, I suppose 9.8s exist -- but with the inconsistency in what is called a 9.8 and what is not, it makes the whole idea behind collecting 9.6s and 9.8s almost impossible when you start looking for that level of perfection. I've looked at many 9.8s and asked why they were 9.8s and many 9.6s and asked why they were not.

Given this level of inconsistency in the grading, putting money behind 9.8s just doesn't seem wise in the long run. Or again, this being an area with these FFs where somebody bought a label, and not the book.

Not to begin this debate again, but this is an example of buying what is to me, a number that is just in someone's head. I mean -- yes, I suppose 9.8s exist -- but with the inconsistency in what is called a 9.8 and what is not, it makes the whole idea behind collecting 9.6s and 9.8s almost impossible when you start looking for that level of perfection. I've looked at many 9.8s and asked why they were 9.8s and many 9.6s and asked why they were not.

Given this level of inconsistency in the grading, putting money behind 9.8s just doesn't seem wise in the long run. Or again, this being an area with these FFs where somebody bought a label, and not the book.

Agree. I've noticed this quite a bit in this hobby, I still don't understand the huge price jump slabs cause. It's kind of foolish to buy a book as a collector and pay outrageous prices for someone else's opinion and not even be able to touch the book, ever without taking a giant loss.

Agree. I've noticed this quite a bit in this hobby, I still don't understand the huge price jump slabs cause. It's kind of foolish to buy a book as a collector and pay outrageous prices for someone else's opinion and not even be able to touch the book, ever without taking a giant loss.

Isn't it just as foolish to pay $50,000 over list price for a $120,000 Mercedes 500 SL but that is exactly what people were doing when the new 230 body style came out. Why? If you can afford to own the only one on the block or the best, then money is irrelevant. I can't fathom having a collection worth $100,000's but then i am a one income, tradesman supporting 4 children and a wife. Not a 6 or 7 digit income household.

Sure, if the guy is a billionaire, who cares, but most of the people over-spending are doing it on credit and not using ready cash - and that includes many of those Mercedes buyers.

Never assume that people actually own what they have.

It's just as foolish to $50,000 over list price for a $120,000 Mercedes 500 SL but that is exactly what people were doing when the new 230 body style came out. Why? If you can afford to own the only or the best, than money is irrelevant. I can't fathom having a collection worth $100,000's but then i am a one income, tradesman supporting 4 children and a wife.

I agree it's just as foolish to buy the mercedes and these thing exist all over. I'm not saying it's bad, just my view on why I wouldn't pay so much more for the slab. I agree, if you can afford it go for it and do it. A lot of people buy slabbed only to be certain of grades, then crack them. It was just an opinion, nothing more.

flowerred.gif

Sure, if the guy is a billionaire, who cares, but most of the people over-spending are doing it on credit and not using ready cash - and that includes many of those Mercedes buyers.

Never assume that people actually own what they have.

thumbsup2.gif

It's kind of foolish to buy a book as a collector and pay outrageous prices for someone else's opinion and not even be able to touch the book, ever without taking a giant loss.

Ok, thats where the role of slab's come into play. If you know you have a killer copy of a given book, your not going to bring it out to thumb through every other week. Or else it's not going to be that way for long.

So slab's help keep things in pristine condition, and reader's can be picked up for a handfull of dollar's mostly anywhere.

But when you pay top dollar for a book, that when 'top copy' number's 3, 4, 5 come along, you know incremnatally the price will fall off in comparison to your 1st on the census copy. Your not making any stunning spending decisions.

So top marks to Doug for selling when he does, and his accountant should give him a well deserved pat on the back. But as for the guys buying them...well a blow to head like the first one they must of received when they decided to pick those books up at full asking price, is recommended.

It's kind of foolish to buy a book as a collector and pay outrageous prices for someone else's opinion and not even be able to touch the book, ever without taking a giant loss.

Ok, thats where the role of slab's come into play. If you know you have a killer copy of a given book, your not going to bring it out to thumb through every other week. Or else it's not going to be that way for long.

So slab's help keep things in pristine condition, and reader's can be picked up for a handfull of dollar's mostly anywhere.

But when you pay top dollar for a book, that when 'top copy' number's 3, 4, 5 come along, you know incremnatally the price will fall off in comparison to your 1st on the census copy. Your not making any stunning spending decisions.

So top marks to Doug for selling when he does, and his accountant should give him a well deserved pat on the back. But as for the guys buying them...well a blow to head like the first one they must of received when they decided to pick those books up at full asking price, is recommended.

I can see your point. thumbsup2.gif

makepoint.gif BUY MORE FF'S YOU *spoon*!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif