• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug's Fantastic Fours 103-200

102 posts in this topic

Sure, if the guy is a billionaire, who cares, but most of the people over-spending are doing it on credit and not using ready cash - and that includes many of those Mercedes buyers.

And you can be fairly sure that the Mercedes is a real Mercedes... not some lesser vehicle a month ago and "conserved" into a Mercedes.

Not to begin this debate again, but this is an example of buying what is to me, a number that is just in someone's head. I mean -- yes, I suppose 9.8s exist -- but with the inconsistency in what is called a 9.8 and what is not, it makes the whole idea behind collecting 9.6s and 9.8s almost impossible when you start looking for that level of perfection. I've looked at many 9.8s and asked why they were 9.8s and many 9.6s and asked why they were not.

Given this level of inconsistency in the grading, putting money behind 9.8s just doesn't seem wise in the long run. Or again, this being an area with these FFs where somebody bought a label, and not the book.

893applaud-thumb.gif

You been reading my mind again, BK?

And just to open another old can of worms, how on god's green earth does that #107 receive a 9.8? It's one ugly mofo and you will never, ever, ever convince me that it's a better book than a 9.4 or 9.6 with perfect registration.

Ever.

So what is your point to all this?

They paid top dollar for books that will in their top census spots, be replicated many times over for those positions with new additions to the census.

So why pay prices the set a bench mark that will never be matched for many years to come!

Thought that was already obvious....

And just to open another old can of worms, how on god's green earth does that #107 receive a 9.8? It's one ugly mofo and you will never, ever, ever convince me that it's a better book than a 9.4 or 9.6 with perfect registration.

Ever.

Ditto!

I still don't understand the huge price jump slabs cause. It's kind of foolish to buy a book as a collector and pay outrageous prices for someone else's opinion and not even be able to touch the book, ever without taking a giant loss.

That's the whole point... a 9.8 is only "the best" in that, at one point in time, it was someone's SUBJECTIVE opinion that it was a 9.8. Given another look on another day and it's highly likely that it may have been judged a 9.6.

So, the whole mentality that someone is "buying the best" is laughable IMO. It's only "the best" today according to 3 guys at CGC.. and it's possible that one of them thought it was a 9.6.

Castles built on sand...

Sure, if the guy is a billionaire, who cares, but most of the people over-spending are doing it on credit and not using ready cash - and that includes many of those Mercedes buyers.

And you can be fairly sure that the Mercedes is a real Mercedes... not some lesser vehicle a month ago and "conserved" into a Mercedes.

27_laughing.gif

I still don't understand the huge price jump slabs cause. It's kind of foolish to buy a book as a collector and pay outrageous prices for someone else's opinion and not even be able to touch the book, ever without taking a giant loss.

That's the whole point... a 9.8 is only "the best" in that, at one point in time, it was someone's SUBJECTIVE opinion that it was a 9.8. Given another look on another day and it's highly likely that it may have been judged a 9.6.

So, the whole mentality that someone is "buying the best" is laughable IMO. It's only "the best" today according to 3 guys at CGC.. and it's possible that one of them thought it was a 9.6.

Castles built on sand...

yes, i'm agree, , i will never buy any 9.8 ,, prices are really crazy for those 9.8, no more than 9.4 for me , how many 9.4 you can buy for a 9.8 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Castles built on sand...

yes, i'm agree, , i will never buy any 9.8 ,, prices are really crazy for those 9.8, no more than 9.4 for me , how many 9.4 you can buy for a 9.8 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I left the collecting realm of 9.6/9.8 many moons ago & started collecting 9.4s with perfect QP. cloud9.gif

27_laughing.gif

True but that same vehicle that the guy paid $50, 000 over list for is now fetching 1/2 the MSRP so 1/3 of what he/she paid for it. The point is, somepeople just don't care.

R.

A couple points on some of the issues being brought up - if these books are really only "one or two census updates" from being matched/surpassed on the census, at these prices, we'll find out soon enough! However, the census is pretty mature now, unlike 5-6 years ago when every high grade book submitted was coming back top census.

Pre-CGC, multiples were being paid for a NM+ copy versus a NM- copy, and as one dealer's NM+ could easily be another dealers NM-, the inconsistency was even worse pre-CGC, yet the multiples were still being paid. Collectors want the best, and are apparently putting more stock in CGC's take on what constitutes the best than they used to put in Metros/Four Colors/PCEs/etc.,. take on it. I think unless one really collects the uber-grades (raw or not), it's difficult to differentiate between a 9.4, 9.6, and a 9.8 - but at some point copy "X" will indeed be better than copy "Y", even if it's only due to a 1/32" corner crease difference.

Miswrapped books with white at the spine do better at cgc. They don't fault you for the miswrap and at the same time any spine stress is much harder to see against the white. So you actually have a system where miswraps, IMO, get better grades screwy.gif