• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug's Fantastic Fours 103-200

102 posts in this topic

It's not mature at all for Bronze books.

And especially for those non-key books from 1971-74, that are not busting out of the OS Guide, yet still command a high grading fee from CGC. Buyers just won't pay enough at the CGC 9.4 level (or even 9.6 for many books) to make it viable to send in a stack of NM/NM+ copies at $30+S&H, then wait 2+ months to get them back.

Once CGC drops rates from early-BA, and they will have to, the Census will absolutely explode.

It's not mature at all for Bronze books.

And especially for those non-key books from 1971-74, that are not busting out of the OS Guide, yet still command a high grading fee from CGC. Buyers just won't pay enough at the CGC 9.4 level (or even 9.6 for many books) to make it viable to send in a stack of NM/NM+ copies at $30+S&H, then wait 2+ months to get them back.

Once CGC drops rates from early-BA, and they will have to, the Census will absolutely explode.

A little birdie told me this is already in the works. gossip.gif

Maybe people can't be bothered to slabb the book

Yep. thumbsup2.gif

Why would anyone mass-submit NM+ copies of FF 214? It makes absolutely no sense, especially when it likely wouldn't pay the bills to sell all those CGC 9.4 and 9.6 copies youd inevitably get back with the 2-3 9.8's?

JC do you really think the rates will ever get cheaper than an economy submission for $29? Somehow I doubt this is even on the radar.

Let's just say, I wouldn't bet money against it.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay lets compare a little then on my analogy.

Person A buys a 9.4 for $100.

Person B buys a 9.8 for $1000

Person A buys a new vehicle for $25k

Person B buys a new vehicle for $45k

In the first example according to some, person B overpayed.

Now as for my car example, why would someone spend 45k on a vehicle when he can spend 25k and have similar results. They are both going to get you where you want to go, they are both going to fit your family, they both consume gas and they both break down eventually.

The answer is pretty simple. Person that has the more expensive car is probably going to get a few more compliments then the other guy. Same thing for the guy owning the 9.8, and they can afford them poke2.gif

So basically all I am saying is to each his own grin.gif

BTW I love my 9.0s as much as my 9.6 or 9.8, but thats just me gossip.gif

Again with the cars!!!

How's this for an analogy:

You buy a CGC 9.8 for $45K and I buy a car for $45K.

Then we have a race, you in your CGC slab, and me in my new $45K automobile.

grin.gif

I can get a vehicle ready for under 15k to blow your doors off poke2.gif

Okay lets compare a little then on my analogy.

Person A buys a 9.4 for $100.

Person B buys a 9.8 for $1000

Person A buys a new vehicle for $25k

Person B buys a new vehicle for $45k

In the first example according to some, person B overpayed.

Now as for my car example, why would someone spend 45k on a vehicle when he can spend 25k and have similar results. They are both going to get you where you want to go, they are both going to fit your family, they both consume gas and they both break down eventually.

The answer is pretty simple. Person that has the more expensive car is probably going to get a few more compliments then the other guy. Same thing for the guy owning the 9.8, and they can afford them poke2.gif

So basically all I am saying is to each his own grin.gif

BTW I love my 9.0s as much as my 9.6 or 9.8, but thats just me gossip.gif

Sorry Nik, but that's like saying getting an original Action Comics #1 is the same as buying a reprint since they both read and feel the same way. flowerred.gif

You are forgeting person B gets the girls poke2.gif

While crude, this does hit to the point.

Cars have a real-world use, and spending more on a new one, such as choosing a more expensive SUV over a cheap hatchback, can have a serious impact on your QUALITY OF LIVING, especially if you have a large family and like to take trips.

There are tons of real-world reasons to choose a more expensive car, with the minority being old bald-headed guys looking for some compliments. 27_laughing.gif

But what possible impact can buying a CGC 9.8 over a CGC 9.6 have on your quality of life, other than providing an ego boost to the buyer. How could your family immediately benefit? Are your kids going to be more comfortable sitting on a CGC 9.8 slab vs. a 9.6?

One final point. I just picked up a Thor #337 CGC 9.8 on these boards and I have been looking for a copy for a long, long time. According to GPA only one copy has been sold in the last year and a half. Now logic siggest there should be hundreds of them around but do I want to wait another 5 years and hope to scoop a decent looking copy up for cheap, probably not. Whatever floats your boat.

No thats like saying there is nothing wrong with a person spending X amount for an AC #1 in 9.4 or another person spending 10xX amount for an AC #1 in 9.8 if they can afford it.