• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Comic In Antarctica

37 posts in this topic

I was going to say Watchmen because you can read it over and over and pick up several new things every time through, but I see you've already got it in mind.yay.gif

I just read an article about this marathon a few months back..., Time? Newsweek? Don't know, but it was very interesting. This article talked about last year's race(?), and the mud being the problem, because the race is run in the summer in Antarctica. It also talked about a guy that was trying to complete the race in a wheelchair, but I think the mud turned out to be too much for him.sorry.gif

Anyway, sounds like a punishing vacation - hope you do well! Just remember, whatever doesn't kill you makes you weaker for the next assault...., no......, wait a second..., makes you stronger!!!! headbang.gif

Toro/Comicdey: That's who I was thinking of, Cap and Mandi's previous traveling thread. Kind of the inspiration for what I want to do in Antarctica.

JBone: Antarctic press sounds like another great idea, I'll see if there's any winter theme books in that comic line.

Lizards2: It does get kind of warm there in the summer (relatively speaking) I've heard of times in the summer when it's just mud everywhere. I've also read of past races when the conditions were so harsh and cold the runners had to complete the 26.2 miles by running in circles on the deck of the ship. Knowing my luck it will be just perfect..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey Trooper, what a kewl trip. And yes you were on the right track.

Long story short, awhile ago Redhook sent me some books and on the back of the Priority mailer he drew a little drawing of Captain America, I kept it.. then one day it hit me.. Cap needed to see the world traveling Gnome style! It was mentioned I should throw in a CGC slab to see how the comic held up after being mailed around the world.

So that is how the Kamandi slab was chosen as a sidekick, and from that day forward Cap N Mandi were a duo.

They have since been to East coast, West coast and all places in between, seen CGC's HQ, been to Alaska, and Paris. Seen underground caves, been sat on by cats, driven tractors, and fast cars alike, and have even been fought over during a cat fight in a bar.

There are countless threads made by previous hosts, all funny. I need to consolidate them all in one location.

Here is a silly trubute I made about their adventures up to that point.

cap n mandi tribute thread

Would you care to take them on your trip with you? All I ask is you sign the back of the drawing and add some artwork to the front side. Take lots of photos, and make a thread about it.

And if the s o b who has them now ever gets of his lazy arse and makes his post I will have him mail them to you if you are up to the burden of having them as your traveling companions.

Well he isn't lazy, kinda hard to be lazy where he is right now.

Ze-

Long story short, awhile ago Redhook sent me some books and on the back of the Priority mailer he drew a little drawing of Captain America, I kept it.. then one day it hit me.. Cap needed to see the world traveling Gnome style! It was mentioned I should throw in a CGC slab to see how the comic held up after being mailed around the world.

So that is how the Kamandi slab was chosen as a sidekick, and from that day forward Cap N Mandi were a duo.

They have since been to East coast, West coast and all places in between, seen CGC's HQ, been to Alaska, and Paris. Seen underground caves, been sat on by cats, driven tractors, and fast cars alike, and have even been fought over during a cat fight in a bar.

There are countless threads made by previous hosts, all funny. I need to consolidate them all in one location.

Would you care to take them on your trip with you? All I ask is you sign the back of the drawing and add some artwork to the front side. Take lots of photos, and make a thread about it.

And if the s o b who has them now ever gets of his lazy arse and makes his post I will have him mail them to you if you are up to the burden of having them as your traveling companions.

Ze-

I have read the thread, and enjoyed them very much. And I'll seriously consider taking those two on my trip, it all depends on how much packing space I have in my pack. But it would be a cool addition to the travel log of those books. I'll get back to you, but I leave on the 15th of Feb.

Ze-

I have read the thread, and enjoyed them very much. And I'll seriously consider taking those two on my trip, it all depends on how much packing space I have in my pack. But it would be a cool addition to the travel log of those books. I'll get back to you, but I leave on the 15th of Feb.

I helped design the new Antarctic Station before changing companies back in 1995. I helped with the prelimary concepts for a system to jack/raise the building multiple times over the life of the structure to accomodate the drifting snow issues. thumbsup2.gif

I have read the thread, and enjoyed them very much. And I'll seriously consider taking those two on my trip, it all depends on how much packing space I have in my pack . But it would be a cool addition to the travel log of those books. I'll get back to you, but I leave on the 15th of Feb.

I've had them both at my house before. Cap -n-Mandi aren't that big. They should fit easily on your sled. And If you have room for all of those dogs you'll have room for these. poke2.gif

Say hi to Cuba Gooding, jr. for me insane.gif

Mike hi.gif

Don't eat yellow snow... gossip.gif

thumbsup2.gif Nice Zappa reference...

Be careful on that trip, that is the bottom of the world after all, and

with all that ice, you could slip and fall off this planet. hi.gif

More possibilities if you're looking for Antarctica-related comic books.

1568975-whout-v1.jpg1568975-whout-v2.jpg

Both available as TPB.

I enjoyed the first, haven't read the sequel.

(Sorry for the tiny scans. First ones I could find.)

Jack

After some thinking, I am going to bring some TPB's I haven't read before. And these look like great reads, not to mention the cover fits into the wintery theme.

As for the Cap & Mandi books, still thinking about it. But I have to warn you, that there is a good chance that if I do bring them that the slabs might get damaged.

More possibilities if you're looking for Antarctica-related comic books.

1568975-whout-v1.jpg1568975-whout-v2.jpg

Both available as TPB.

I enjoyed the first, haven't read the sequel.

(Sorry for the tiny scans. First ones I could find.)

Jack

After some thinking, I am going to bring some TPB's I haven't read before. And these look like great reads, not to mention the cover fits into the wintery theme.

As for the Cap & Mandi books, still thinking about it. But I have to warn you, that there is a good chance that if I do bring them that the slabs might get damaged.

I would think that it would actually be an interesting test to see what the sub-zero night-time climate would do to a slabbed book, if anything at all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and gossip.gif Cap is just a drawing, the "Mandi" book is slabbed.

On Feb 15 I'll be making a trip to Antarctica (yes you read right). And I was wondering if I should bring some comic reading material, as this trip is going to take awhile. Approximately 2 weeks travel time. I first fly to Florida and then an International flight to Brazil. Once in Brazil I take a Russion Icebreaker/cruise liner to Antarctica. (this is for a marathon I am running there btw)

Which comic should I bring with me? I was reading a post a few months back of another boardie who took pics of his favorite slabbed comic (a Ka-Zar?) on his traveling adventures. And this gave me the idea that I should bring one of my books to the South pole.

Has a comic ever been there? When/If I bring one I'll take pics of it of course on it's traveling history, I think this would be a neat idea.

You need to get a Capital One card gossip.gif