• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sword & Sorcery in the Golden Age

30 posts in this topic

That was a lot of fun and with names like Ophir and Crom it feels very Hyperborian Age.

It figures that it was Gardner Fox scripting. In the early 80s he was still writing pretty basic hack and slash barbarian stories which were being published in Dragon Magazine.

Marc

No kidding! I didn't know that. I was playing D&D and reading Dragon back then. That's pretty cool, and yet sad at the same time that a legend like Fox was relegated to doing that kind of stuff.

Thanks Theagenes! That was a wonderful trip down memory lane. I may just have to get another copy!

are you saying there is a comic you don't have two copies of already?

Hard to believe isn't it?

I love that cover too! 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm going to have to get those 2 issues one of these days.

OK, I wanted to make a chronological list of Crom's appearances as it's bit complicated. I think this is correct, but somebody correct me if it's not.

June 1950 - Out of This World #1 - "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story)

July 1950 - Out of World Adventures (pulp) v. 1 no. 1 - reprints "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story).

August 1950 - Out of This World #1, 2nd printing (No month on cover, different back cover) - reprints "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story).

November 1950 - Strange Worlds #1 - reprints "Crom the Barbarian" (1st Crom story)

December 1950 - Out of this World Adventures (pulp) v.1 no. 2 - "Spider God of Akka" (2nd Crom story)

Early(?) 1951 - Strange Worlds #2 - "The Giant from Beyond" (3rd and final Crom story)