• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: what's on your stereo and bookshelf?

94 posts in this topic

I liked this thread the first time I started it, so I figure it's time to do it again. I got some really cool recommendations last time around. Here is what I am currently listening to and reading...

Stereo:

Hot Water Music: Caution The best effort from this Gainsville hard core band and one of my favorite albums of all time.

The Methadones: Not Economically Viable Straight up pop/punk from Danny Vapid (of Screeching Weasel fame).

Alkaline Trio: From Here to Infirmary Chicago's very own. Saw them on new year's eve and they played this in its entirety.

Misfits: Static Age Not as good as Walk Among Us, but I haven't listened to this one 10,000 times yet.

Bookshelf:

A Gentle Madness: Nicholas Basbanes A pretty comprehensive look at bibliomaniacs through the ages. Surprisingly readable and fun. Everyone here can relate, believe me.

The Turn of the Screw: Henry James I wanted a classic ghost story, so I picked this up. Good so far, though it took me awhile to return to James after slogging through The Golden Bowl.

Sherlock Holmes : The Complete Novels and Stories Perfect for a one hour read before bed. Where classics and disposable lit. meet.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

BRMC - Howl

Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power

The Gossip - Standing In The Way Of Control

Johnny Cash - Walk The Line

Pink - U And Ur Right Hand

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast Of Champions

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby

Steven Erikson - The Bonehunters

Book Of Very Difficult Sudoku crazy.gif

Currently reading Eisner/Miller (book length interview with great illustrations) and The Pirate Coast (U.S. Marines vs. Tripoli pirates back when the U.S. was weak and Washington D.C. was basically a swamp with a few buildings.)

5-disc changer (how retro) has Depeche Mode Only When I Lose Myself maxi-cd, Aldo Nova self-titled (I can only stand the first song but what a song), Metallica Load and a recent $5 pick-up, the Very Best of Dokken.

I thought the term "stereo" was no longer is use with CD players and MP3 players, etc. stooges.gif

A stereo is just a sound system and could include CD players and MP3 players...unless they changed the definition of "stereo". confused.gif

Mix CD's that focus on 90's Grunge Rock: Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains and the like

The Collectors-David Baldacci- Havent really gotten into the book very far, but based in DC, Speaker of the House gets offed. Seems decent though

The Lost Gospel- Story of the finding, attempted sales, and eventually the translation of the Gospel of Judas Iscariot. Excellent read.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- If you dont know about HP by now, get out of the cave you have been living in.

That's the one with the crazy car dealer and Kilgore Trout, right? Loved that one. Right up there with Catch-22 on the list of books that made me laugh out loud.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- If you dont know about HP by now, get out of the cave you have been living in.

I was surprised when a few adult buddies of mine told me that these are great reads. They said I should start from the beginning otherwise it would be hard to follow, correct?

For all the Harry Potter fans, have any of you read the Prydain books by Lloyd Alexander, The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper, or the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. Plenty of "adult" kids fantasy out there that's as good or better than Potter.

That's the one with the crazy car dealer and Kilgore Trout, right? Loved that one. Right up there with Catch-22 on the list of books that made me laugh out loud.

thumbsup2.gif

I read it when I was a teenager, and it's time to read it again. Hasn't lost it's humour.