• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A shilling we will go, a shilling we will go!

21 posts in this topic

Yeah, that doesn't look like shilling/

Offbeat bid $225 on 1/5 and mzmoviebuff was "feeling out" Offbeats bid and eventually outbid him.

Not uncommon. I do it myself at times so I don't have too much of a proxy out there for someone to come and fill in.

I don't remember a reserve on this one. I'm only assuming the high bidder is trying to boost up the price because he has his own copy that he wants to sell in similar grade. He also seems to be bidding the same way on a Weird War #21 in 9.6. Both are tops in Census, but the prices seem a little high to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Once again, a shill under every rock, a shill in every tree.27_laughing.gif

Lions and tigers and shills, Oh My!!!!893whatthe.gif

Nope, classic dance of the low-balller.893blahblah.gif

Not so fast.....if you click on "Bidding Details" you will be provided with the info that 58% of Bidder 2's activity was with this particular seller. Only 25% of Bidder 1's activity was with this seller and it was low volume....so yeah, Bidder 2 is more likely a shill.

Red

that change must've just happened minutes/hours ago, because i don't see any names...

Yep, as of today. Ebay and their change for change's sake. foreheadslap.gif

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

What a load of *spoon*...

Not so fast.....if you click on "Bidding Details" you will be provided with the info that 58% of Bidder 2's activity was with this particular seller. Only 25% of Bidder 1's activity was with this seller and it was low volume....so yeah, Bidder 2 is more likely a shill.

Red

Yes, you can trace bidding patterns, but the specific bidders' feedback is hidden, plus you can no longer gauge anything by which other sellers he has bid on, and where these sellers are based, etc.

Also if you're a bidder on a particular auction you can no longer tell precisely who are the legitimate bidders, and what their strategies are (which is very useful if you're up against an ebay nemesis), but the seller can.

It's far more a hindrance than a help, basically, for bidders. Can't see how it benefits legit sellers, apart from ebay's strawman about preventing other people contacting bidders.

Can't see how it benefits legit sellers, apart from ebay's strawman about preventing other people contacting bidders.

Which in all the years I've been on Ebay has never happened to me.