• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Action Comics only thread pre issue 30

149 posts in this topic

Here I will start the post with some of my early action comics superman covers only .

Ashcan/comics 1577326-actioncomics.jpg

Not the best shape but at least I have them to enjoy, most low grade some with resto . Oh well, maybe oneday I can upgrade. Probably not man they are getting expensive.

1577326-actioncomics.jpg.16c825497c2a30c59df5fa943ea8f68b.jpg

Here I will start the post with some of my early action comics superman covers only .

Ashcan/comics 1577326-actioncomics.jpg

Not the best shape but at least I have them to enjoy, most low grade some with resto . Oh well, maybe oneday I can upgrade. Probably not man they are getting expensive.

Come on guys let's see this books of yours .Alot of you probably have some excellent shape early actions would love to see them.

Ashcan/Comics

I'm going to break your rule and post my earliest action.....................30................

ok, don't go and get all upset about it, I just didn't like your exclusionary request.....

"pre-issue 30".............. sumo.gifpoke2.gif1577567-Action30front.JPG

1577567-Action30front.JPG.d3aede6721a03c768873fc710414f93a.JPG

Jerry Siegel's personal copy. Jerry Weist had gotten a lot of Siegel's items shortly before Siefel died. Turned out much of it had been kept in Siegel's basement (and I never did hear if he still had an Action 1 or had lost or sold his in years before). This and the other issues got some moisture damage as you can see.

This one had gotten some damage years before when, in the late 40s, Siegel and Shuster's sued DC claiming not only that they were owed money for Superman (which they were) but apparently also claimed, in a sideways manner, that they were owed money for virtually all of DC's superheroes because they'd created the whole superhero with secret identify bit. To make his point, Siegel submitted as evidence panels he clipped out of this issue showing Clark changing to Superman. I guess if the legal briefs and exhibits in that case still exist, the missing panels could be put back.

As you probably know, Siegel and Shuster lost in the major complaints, prevailing only in getting an acknowledgement they were owed money for Superboy (not Superman). The money they got was probably less than Siegel was paid for the sundry Supe items (including this) which he sold off in the 90s

307c025c.jpg

has nobody got a #12? that's my grail...

The only time I see a #12 is when it's a total beater copy. Ebayer "thejudge" is selling a 1.0 copy on ebay right now for $1,200 crazy.gif which is a quick flip attempt from a Heritage win.

The only nice copy I remember seeing is a CGC 7.5 copy that sold on ebay a couple years ago for big money.

The only time I see a #12 is when it's a total beater copy. Ebayer "thejudge" is selling a 1.0 copy on ebay right now for $1,200 crazy.gif which is a quick flip attempt from a Heritage win.

The only nice copy I remember seeing is a CGC 7.5 copy that sold on ebay a couple years ago for big money.

ah 'thejudge', at it again,,, yes #12 doesn't show up too often,. along with the ones you mentioned, is the one that Steve Lauterbach (comgeek-investmentcollectibles.com),..used to have on his site, which he must have sold, it's no longer listed, it was a CGC 2.0 unrestored.

Here's one I used to have but alas have no longer. Had offered it for sale a number of times and the sales didn't go through because each time they insisted ite was low grade and shoved a guide in my face saying it should sell for something like 300 dollars so I had no choice but to strrangle them on the spot. Finally made a deal a ferw years ago. If I'd known there were so many people who wanted it I might have held onto it, but if you'd shown me a guide I would've had to kill you, too.

aCTION12.jpg

what did it finally sell for?

I think it was about 2200 but can't recall offhand if it was all cash or trade.

Anyway, here's another hard to find issue. NFS, This one looks nice but interior is messed up;. someone cut the Supe pages out and then put them back in.

Action13cvronly.jpg