• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BWS Conan covers

21 posts in this topic

Anyone have any info regarding any of the BWS Conan covers? Are they all out there? Have they changed hands much? And what do you guys think would be the current market value for one of them? Any info or personal anecdotes would be apreciated.

First time I saw this on CAF, I almost fell out of my chair;

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp...at=0&UCat=0

Although I am not in the loop regarding BWS Conan covers, people in the know tell me they are unattainable. All locked away in collections. I've been trying to get one to use as a trade bait toward a grail and have had no luck finding one.

well i don,t know if all of bws conan covers are on the open market. but i do know some of them are for sure out there in private collection. i have in person seen the covers to # 3 and # 5 . i owned cover # 3 for a very short time. but sold it off in the early 80.s it was in pretty bad shape lots of white out and stains.

as far as what.s it worth i would say a pretty penny. i got out of the hobby in the late 80.s and just came back about 7 years ago. the market has really change and there are more collectors out there some with very deep pockets. so i will say if you want a bws cover from the 70.s you may want pick a second mortgage. thumbsup2.gif

larry ;]

The cover for #1 was offered to a local MA dealer within the past year/year and a half. The seller was from overseas and there was some question as to whether it was legit, It would be interesting to know if someone knows where it resides... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(PM with details if you have any, strictest confidence guaranteed!!)

Although I am not in the loop regarding BWS Conan covers, people in the know tell me they are unattainable. All locked away in collections. I've been trying to get one to use as a trade bait toward a grail and have had no luck finding one.

Since you were seriously looking, what were you preparing to spend? Or, to ask the question in another way, what's your personal appraisal of one of these covers?

The cover for #1 was offered to a local MA dealer within the past year/year and a half. The seller was from overseas and there was some question as to whether it was legit, It would be interesting to know if someone knows where it resides... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Cover to #1 sold through Mastro Auctions last year along with the BWS story that preceded it called Kull of Atlantis or something along those lines.

They had lined the walls of Crossgen studios at one time.

The Cover to #11 ( I think that is the right issue) was sold last summer as well.

Chris

The Cover to #1 sold through Mastro Auctions last year along with the BWS story that preceded it called Kull of Atlantis or something along those lines.

The Cover to #11 ( I think that is the right issue) was sold last summer as well.

Chris

The splash to #1 was offered by Mastro last year, not the cover.

S

Chris

S

That was it, if I don't write it down I forget it...here I was searching for that catalog to confirm it (since auction results are not kept online) but I knew someone else would catch it if I screwed up.

Thanks

C

Some of the Barry Smith CONAN covers are up on CAF.

A quick search revealed:

#s 2, 3, 10, 11, 13 and 20.

Also, two unused covers (#s 0 and 9), and the artist's re-creation of his # 4 cover (twice-up size!).

I may well have overlooked a few other CONAN covers, as I very quickly glanced through the search results, so it's worth a second look for you guys.

if iam correct i pretty sure a few of the bws kull pages are going up for auction this month.

larry. ;]

Yeah, I saw those on Comiclink. Nice pages.

Chris

S

Do you know what the final price was?

It looks like I'll have to settle for a nice interior page, at least for now. frustrated.gif

Eric Roberts has the cover to #1 posted in his website gallery (www.comicartbuyer.com). You have to create a login to view his collection, but it's well worth it.

As Trent mentioned, there are a bunch on CAF...

Chris

S

It looks like I'll have to settle for a nice interior page, at least for now. frustrated.gif

Back to the memory bank.. insane.gif

Without actually checking what I wrote in that auction catalog....

I had that one targeted for about $40k and if I remember right it crossed just over that with the buyer's premium.

And those pages in comic link look like pages to the same story that sold at Mastro, but I have not lined them up side by side to confirm.

C

Chris

S

I had that one targeted for about $40k and if I remember right it crossed just over that with the buyer's premium.

And those pages in comic link look like pages to the same story that sold at Mastro, but I have not lined them up side by side to confirm.

C

I think I have that catalog...want me to check?

Eric Roberts has the cover to #1 posted in his website gallery (www.comicartbuyer.com). You have to create a login to view his collection, but it's well worth it.

As Trent mentioned, there are a bunch on CAF...

I've seen all the ones on CAF, but I didn't know about the #1 cover on comicartbuyer.com. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out.

Just checked out comicartbuyer.com. What an insane collection! frustrated.gif I visited the site a while back and I'm aware of the fact that he's got a great collection, but God damn!

I love looking at his art and I apreciate that he's sharing it with the public, but it makes me ill at the same time.

Chris

S

C

It's almost as nice as the cover, but I wouldn't have thought it would reach 40K. 893whatthe.gif

So where do you think that puts the cover to #1, were it ever to come to auction?

Just checked out comicartbuyer.com. What an insane collection! frustrated.gif I visited the site a while back and I'm aware of the fact that he's got a great collection, but God damn!

I love looking at his art and I apreciate that he's sharing it with the public, but it makes me ill at the same time.

He also owns the #1 splash.

When you consider how many top pieces are buried in collections, I am really glad he is willing to share some of his. Here's hoping he continues to show off more 893crossfingers-thumb.gif