• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where is Mica?

37 posts in this topic

Gees Mica It looks like a war zone. Too bad you live so far away. I usually don't leave home without 2 or 3 chainsaws. I'm glad to hear, that your family is ok.

Mike

You would be in high demand over here. crazy.gif

Gees Mica It looks like a war zone. Too bad you live so far away. I usually don't leave home without 2 or 3 chainsaws. I'm glad to hear, that your family is ok.

Mike

poke2.gif

Mica, sorry to see all the devastation but glad to see you're hanging tough. The best to you and your family. If you get back online and need any batteries ANYTHING shipped out overnight, let me know! I'm more than happy to help out and live right next door to a post office that's open late so it's NO problem.
Thanks. My parents just called and have got power turned back on, so we are hopeful that we are a day or two away from power as well. My wife is taking our son over there to watch some well deserved cartoons. yay.gif

Mica, sorry to see all the devastation but glad to see you're hanging tough. The best to you and your family. If you get back online and need any batteries ANYTHING shipped out overnight, let me know! I'm more than happy to help out and live right next door to a post office that's open late so it's NO problem.
Thanks. My parents just called and have got power turned back on, so we are hopeful that we are a day or two away from power as well. My wife is taking our son over there to watch some well deserved cartoons. yay.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad for the good news. Offer still stands if you need it. Hang in there!

Mike

poke2.gif
You however would stick out in a crowd. wink.gif

But I'd vouch for you. grin.gif

Wow Mica these pics are all to familiar too me...

It is almost like someone walking over your grave type of feeling.

When I was stationed in Water Town NY @ FT. Drum it would Ice

atleast once if not twice a year and even when the weather would break and we would get it all

cleaned up the top of the trees looked like something out of a horror movie.

I feel for you. Keep it safe man.

I wish you and your family the best.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

First four hours of "24" are going out priority to you today, Mica, care of the Red Hook Media Disaster Relief Fund.

Remember.....

"BE LIKE JACK!" yay.gif

Best, Brad

Well I'm back. But Frozen. Missouri got clobbered by a huge Ice storm Friday.

I haven't had power since (still don't). Since Friday I have been clearing off my roof, cutting up tree branches with my hatchet, and helping my neighbors get out of their driveways. tongue.gif

1587269-ice1.jpg

My family is/was and has been in our living room with a small propane heater.

With all other rooms closed up and blankets serving as makeshift doors to hallways we manage to keep the room at 57 degrees. Last night it was 7 outside.

Fortunately none of the stuff landing on my roof has punctured any holes that I could find. Surprisingly nothing landed on my old Dodge pickup. Plenty of stuff landed all around it. crazy.gif

1587282-ice2.jpg

Everything looks very gloomy. After I chopped up some frozen fallen limbs to get my wife's car out of the garage, we then checked on our neighbors.

1587295-ice3.jpg

By Saturday night we made it to the only Walmart that was open (There are 5 in town) and the place was swamped. No milk was left on the shelves.

No propane, No C or D batteries. But tons of people looking for ideas on how to get by.

We found a gas station that had power and there was a long line at it.

Whenever a place would open there would be a "run" on everything.

We checked on my parents who have gas heat, and combined some food products with them. Made it back to our house and had to stop along the way and clear a path all over again as more frozen limbs would fall.

You'd drive along and see limbs fall behind you where you had just driven. crazy.gif

1587310-ice4.jpg

I am exhausted from pretending to be Paul Bunyun and feeling so cold I can't move. I have scratches on my hands and don't remember getting them. frown.gif

I have enough gas tanks to last us a few more days, but my son doesn't understand why we just don't go out and get some electricity.

Sunday morning we made it to my work, and charged our cell phone and checked our E-mail.

I wrote Red Hook and asked if he could tape 24 for us. We do have a battery operated TV but our Fox affiliate was off the air.

I know that seems like a silly thing to be worried about, but we really needed a small feel-good thing at that moment.

Within a few minutes Brad responded that he would. (and we had "the_Brain" as a back-up plan). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1587340-ice5.jpg

This is my back yard. My son is not dealing with this very well at all.

I've let him go through some of my books with his flashlight to keep him occupied. He doesn't open them out of their bag but admires the covers.

Something tells me he'll be a future submitter around here in a few years smirk.gif

He has made the transistion from Roy Rogers to Monster covers. If it's big and tearing down buildings, he loves it. 27_laughing.gif

1587365-ice6.jpg

My daughter didn't go to school. It's just too cold to do anything. tongue.gif

She did have a Rented DVD that is now due back, but it's still in the player. foreheadslap.gif

1587375-ice7.jpg

And that's where we still are. Nothing has really changed.

I'm at work tonight. I would be home but I'm having to cover for a couple of employees that had surgery and are still recovering.

So major Kudos to Red_Hook and the_Brain for being there when my family needed a positive motivation....even though it was something simple as a TV show.

My wife's sister and what's turning out to be a small crowd are already making plans to be in my house in the near future when the power is on to watch this video tape that Brad is sending my way. yay.gif

Someone needs to send this to Mile High Chuck, so he can see what REAL winter hardship is!!!

Wow Mica these pics are all to familiar too me...

It is almost like someone walking over your grave type of feeling.

When I was stationed in Water Town NY @ FT. Drum it would Ice

atleast once if not twice a year and even when the weather would break and we would get it all

cleaned up the top of the trees looked like something out of a horror movie.

I feel for you. Keep it safe man.

I wish you and your family the best.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You 10th Mountain?

1587375-ice7.jpg

You might rethink the hybrid car, Mica. wink.gif

Just returned from PO.....24 within 48 to you.

Good luck.

PS.....My daughter Julia had the same exact model car when she was little.

It looks like you'll have a good supply of kinling and firewood. I recently bought a generator and a friend was telling me how he bought one, filled it up with gas and just left the fuel in the tank for about a year or so until the next outage and the darn thing was gummed up and wouldn't start. So I was told to add stabilizer to the gas can, keep the generator drained when not in use and replace the stored fuel evry 6 months or so. One of the problems we had up here was that the gas stations didn't have back up generators so we couldn't gas up. I won a bet with my brother in law recently and he's going to wire the house up for a generator the next time he comes up. We have one gas heat stove that operates without any electricity, we have one that requires electricity on the other side of the house, but we have a wood burning stove on that side. So were covered for heat. Our tankless hot water heater requires electricity to operate, but the generator will take care of that.Fluorescent lanterns or led lanterns are handy to have around too.Radios with cranks are nice. Hope all returns to normal soon.

You 10th Mountain?

Many moons ago I was in Ft. Drum's 10th Mountain

(1st of the 22nd Light Infantry Battalion)

I left in '91 to go to school after I gave her a good 4 1/2 years

(because of the extension)

Here is an old WC thread...

Anyone here a Mountain Climber?

I will never forget the Tundra there. I made E-5 ridiculously fast

just because I excelled in such harsh conditions.

Are you in?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"BE LIKE JACK!" yay.gif

Best, Brad

Jack now has a generator on loan from my pastor. yay.gif

The wife (Lady Mica) is thrilled and can now use a hair-dryer. wink.gif

Of course once I set it all up I had to go back to work. tongue.gif

It looks like you'll have a good supply of kinling and firewood. I recently bought a generator and a friend was telling me how he bought one, filled it up with gas and just left the fuel in the tank for about a year or so until the next outage and the darn thing was gummed up and wouldn't start. So I was told to add stabilizer to the gas can, keep the generator drained when not in use and replace the stored fuel evry 6 months or so. One of the problems we had up here was that the gas stations didn't have back up generators so we couldn't gas up. I won a bet with my brother in law recently and he's going to wire the house up for a generator the next time he comes up. We have one gas heat stove that operates without any electricity, we have one that requires electricity on the other side of the house, but we have a wood burning stove on that side. So were covered for heat. Our tankless hot water heater requires electricity to operate, but the generator will take care of that.Fluorescent lanterns or led lanterns are handy to have around too.Radios with cranks are nice. Hope all returns to normal soon.

Yep, I always drain the tank or let the generator run itself out (if low enough). Also, cycling through the gas cans during the summer is easy stuff if you have a big lawn (I mow about 1.5 of my 3 acres). Everything here runs on electricity except the furnace (propane - 500 gallon tank out back), and we have well water, so as long as I have gasoline, everything keeps running grin.gif

Right now I think gasoline is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We should make more of it. 893whatthe.giftongue.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just saw an article in Time Magazine where people in Azerghan (sp? some old USSR region) like to bath in unrefined oil -- good for their skin and health, they say insane.gif