• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Golden age

33 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any of you own any of the top 10 Golden age books as listed in OS Guide 33

Action Comics 1

Detective Comics 27

Marvel Comics 1

Superman 1

All-American Comics 16

Batman 1

Captain America Comics 1

Flash Comics 1

Whiz Comics 2 (1)

More Fun Comics 52

Here's a real question for you all:

Do you agree with this top 10 list? I'm scratching my head, wondering why Archie #1 or Pep #22 isn't on that list. I realize it's the list of the 10 most valuable, and I agree with maybe 7 of them, but is the first Green Lantern or first Spectre really more important than the first appearance of Archie? Obviously not to me, but I mean in the grand scheme of comic book history.. Archie continues to thrive and has been repeatedly published since October of 1941 (Pep 22).

I guarantee without a doubt if you'd poll America and ask them if they've heard of "The Spectre", or "Archie Andrews" more will respond back with Archie, hands down. This doesn't mean I don't respect More Fun #52 or anything; I've just seen way more copies of that book up for sale than the Pep.

Just my .02

I see where youre going with this....and both books are IMO very important keys. But the test as to whether the general public has heard of one character or another misses the point...or at least doesnt further your argument....since the top ten list is by and for us comics collectors...not the great unwashed!! They are generally ignorant of 99% of the arcane four-color factoids and knowlwdge we eagerly consume and spend hours late at night etc typing and arguing and discussing about here!

I'm not sure I understand your argument. Like you said, it is a values list. I don't have the current year's guide handy, but looking at last year's, Pep #22 ranked #57. Are you really saying that you believe it should be in the top 10?

I agree with your point about Archie being huge in terms of overall comics history. But that's a different list, isn't it?!

Besides, one has to keep in mind to whom Archie has that significance that you speak of. The hardcore comic collector that is going to spend hundreds of thousands on comic books? No, not really. Instead, Archie is fondly remembered by the average joe who read Archies when he was a kid, doesn't read comics now, and certainly does not buy pricey GA keys. I'm making vast generalizations here of course, but for the most part, we both know they are true. Archies generally appeal to people who do not buy pricey books - so... it's not surprising at all that Pep #22 doesn't make it onto Overstreet's Top 10 values list.

Dan

I guess my point (not argument) is this: How can a character like the Spectre (average character with average stories, fantastic covers in the Golden Age) and his first appearance make his first appearance worth that much money? First Batman/Superman/Marvel/Captain America? Sure, those should be in there.

I just don't understand why the Spectre or Green Lantern is more valuable than a Pep #22, that's all. Archie built a comic empire based on that character, while the Spectre petered off from More Fun #101 to the Silver Age, and wasn't really that big of a deal (in my opinion). He certainly didn't make or break DC.

Also, I've spent about $35,000 since 2000 working on a MLJ run; they're a lot pricier than you think. Don't base the guide on their worth; the Mile High Archie #1 and Pep #22 collectively sold for $100,000. Also, Met has a Good minus copy for $4000, which looks pretty faded. The guide is about 1/4 of the real world value, and I can show you documented proof on those early Archie Peps.

I'm not confused about what you or most people think of Archie; anything post 1950 with the full cast of characters and the typical shenanigans. I'm not daring to say those basically worthless issues are in the same league as any other gold/silver superhero stuff, but when you consider how many other companies started pumping out imitators and the fact Archie Co. is thriving today, his first appearance is quite something.

And to aman...the "great unwashed" are the people who go see movies like Spiderman and Hulk, and further increase the value of silver age books (in general). I disagree with your assertion that character popularity has no reflection of worth in the comic book "world". Why is Spider-Man and X-Men such hot titles then? Not trying to pick a fight, I'd honestly like to hear your points.

I just wanted to hear WHY the Spectre and Green Lantern were significant; I've stated my reasons for Archie. I completely agree with all of the other top ten in the lineup.

Also, I'm very glad Archie #1 or Pep #22 isn't anywhere near the top 10; they're the last 2 books I need for a complete golden age Archie collection...!

Do you agree with this top 10 list?

Well, I agree as far as $$$ (but even that may be hooey since how many of these change hands publicly enough for us to know all the $$$ exchange?). I certainly don;t think these are the top 10 most important. But certainly wouldn;t poo-poo any of them either!

And to aman...the "great unwashed" are the people who go see movies like Spiderman and Hulk, and further increase the value of silver age books (in general). I disagree with your assertion that character popularity has no reflection of worth in the comic book "world". Why is Spider-Man and X-Men such hot titles then? Not trying to pick a fight, I'd honestly like to hear your points.

the movie appearances of our comic heroes definitely DO increase the values of the comics they originated in....BUT, only to us comic collectors! WE in turn pay more for the best graded copies of the key issues as the movies focus demand on them. Not a whole heck of a lot of those "civilians" who go the movies ever bother to pick up a "cheap" new issue featuring new stories of the characters whose movies they shelled out $10 to see...let alone invest thousands of $$$s on key back issues.

Its us collectors who do so, partly BECAUSE we EXPECT the comics to increase in value because of the movies. We've seen this repeatedly recently in the movie-hype run-up of prices. Buyers buy early and try to sell into the movie-fueled hype at the film's opening...

I just wanted to hear WHY the Spectre and Green Lantern were significant; I've stated my reasons for Archie. I completely agree with all of the other top ten in the lineup.

To me Spectre/More Fun #52, 53 hang around the top ten mostly due to inertia. Theyve always been two of the Golden Age Keys featuring the origin and first appearance of one of the Golden Age's earliest and biggest characters. But Spectre's standing certainly has dropped in significance - - and in time I would not be surprised to see those books lose their place on the list. Maybe to one or both of the Archie keys you champion here.

"Top" ten comics come and go over the years.... we'll have to wait and see!