• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good article on stolen Steranko art

28 posts in this topic

Zaq12 is Steve Fishler the person who has been sending out all the emails warning about the piece being stolen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks. based on his public comments my guess would be that he won to make sure that no further trade occurs on the art until the legal issues are settled? anyway, armchair quarter-backing is a waste of time (particulary in NE right now!) so maybe steve can just let us all know "why?!"

If the art was stolen why had no one filed a police report?

The simple answers are one of two:

1. a report has been filed but the follow-through of presenting it to the seller, eBay, etc. hasn't ocurred yet.

2. no report exsists as Farleigh Dickinson doesn't have all their facts gathered or may not view this as a battle they want to engage in.

Remember, the police would expect some documentation from FD before moving forward. Whatever is required may not be readily or at all available for presentation. Also not every legal battle is worth the time/money/effort. Similar to the "hot" Silver and Bronze Marvel art situation, if the legal owner (be it FD, Marvel, Ditko, et al) doesn't wish to legally pursue that's the end of the issue.

I was the high bidder on the Foom art. It is an amazing piece of art

and I would love to own it but will not own it unless some very

reasonable questions are answered regarding its exit from FDU. I have

been in contact with Jim Steranko and will only proceed with a

purchase if and when said questions are answered to the satisfaction

of Jim Steranko.

Stephen Fishler

[quote

spoken to FDU and confirming it's stolen by FDU are two different things. There would be charges filed.

I'm not disputing it was stolen, but generally if it's a theft and people know who did it, then that person gets picked up and the merchandise returned.

Are you saying that whenever the law's broken the authorities actually care about it and they rush to solve the case and pick up the thief and return your stolen merchandise? And they do this even without you having to hound them and go through endless paperwork with people who don't give a damn what happened to you?

Please tell me what city you live in so I can move there.

[quote

spoken to FDU and confirming it's stolen by FDU are two different things. There would be charges filed.

I'm not disputing it was stolen, but generally if it's a theft and people know who did it, then that person gets picked up and the merchandise returned.

Are you saying that whenever the law's broken the authorities actually care about it and they rush to solve the case and pick up the thief and return your stolen merchandise? And they do this even without you having to hound them and go through endless paperwork with people who don't give a damn what happened to you?

Generally if they know where it is, yes. screwy.gif

The situation with the FOOM poster is now very interesting because:

a. Stephen won't purchase it unless questions are answered

b. The auction win is technically a contract to buy

c. The owner probably doesn't want to sell at that price anyway since he believes it's worth 45K

[quote

Generally if they know where it is, yes. screwy.gif

If you've found that authorities follow through on these things and don't question whether something is actually stolen (the way people on this board are) and that they will just pick it up "generally if they know where it is" -- presuming you acocmoplish that by just telling them where it is and saying you believe they took it... if you know all that to such an extent you feel that any suggtestion to the contrary merits a "crazy person" icon, then I'll repeat the question. Tell me what city full of TV show cops you live in, because all the places I have lived are unfortunately full of cops, judges, congressmen, senators, governors, etc. that are going to grab any excuse to do the least possible work retrieving your things for you, especially if tehre is the slightest possibility that you're simply interpreting a previous agreement differently then they are. And especially if the entity you're accusing has a larger place in the society than you do (and how many of us are more influential than a university?)

I will forego signing off with an icon meant to diss you (or anyone else), except to say that if it were easy for Steranko to prove the art was stolen and to have somebody jump out of the chair and go "pick it up" for him, I presume he would have done it already.,