• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WANTED: Bill Barnes #7 (1942) any grade

25 posts in this topic

To take Metro's side for a minute, that's a 9.6 book, and generally speaking "guide" is a poor guide on pricing for the highest grade GA books. A book that would sell for $35 in 6.0 would likely sell for $180 in 9.0 and $440 in 9.4, and it could reasonably be expected to sell for over $600 in 9.6 no matter what the guide says.

Plus, Metro's cash flows are likely such that they don't need to turn their working capital (i.e., inventory) to stay afloat, and Steve's probably got enough experience with both pricing and customer behavior to know that someone out there will someday pay his price. And if not, if he lowers this one too much to make a sale, then does that devalue all the other 9.6 Gaines file books on his site?

Just playing devil's advocate.

I guess that can work both ways. It took me a long time to realise that "it's only a comic book" and except for a few books and a few situations, one of the strongest positions to be in, is the one where you can say "no". Having overreacted and overpaid for a few books myself, behaving badly and never really feeling satisfied, I've come to the conclusion finally that if it's not any fun, then it's not worth doing. When I'm on my deathbed going over in my mind my laundry list of regrets, one of them is not going to be passing up a VG Pep 22 for 2200.00...it'll be missing my grandaughters piano recital, or visiting Italy again or noticing how lovely my wife looks, knee deep in the garden growing the perfect rose. Comic books should be a fun diversion in life, but no more than that.I place that lesson beside the one that tells me not to care about a cancelled tv show, since it's far better to live life than to watch life.

I realize that the OPSG is only a guide and by no means the dictator to sellers on how much they should price their books. But tell me if this sounds fair: OPSG 9.2 price for the Aces High #3 is $170 Metro is asking on their site $675 for the Aces in 9.6. If I bought this book at that price, I'd be regretting it for a looooonnnggg time. Hell, for $675 I could buy a GA book that's guaranteed to increase in value over the years. I highly doubt that I could resell the Aces High #3 years down the road for anything close to what Metro is asking.

I generally find 9.6 prices to be about 250% of 9.2 prices, so that would peg the book at around $425 if guide is accurate at 9.2 (big "if").

I'd say that generally speaking, buying books from Metro is not going to be the path to a positive economic return on the investment (vs. standard alternative asset classes), so I agree with your sentiment towards resale value. Metro prices are "collector" prices, especially in high grade. That said, they're selling to collectors and the business model seems to work for them.

I generally find 9.6 prices to be about 250% of 9.2 prices, so that would peg the book at around $425 if guide is accurate at 9.2 (big "if").

I'd say that generally speaking, buying books from Metro is not going to be the path to a positive economic return on the investment (vs. standard alternative asset classes), so I agree with your sentiment towards resale value. That said, they're selling to collectors and the business model seems to work for them.

That's why I've only bought from them twice (two books under $35) and tend to purchase from smaller dealers. I've also spent a lot of money on ComicLink, where most of my Best offers were accepted. When I make an offer on Metro all I get is a negative message either stating that a offer can't be made on this book or no reply whatsoever. IMO whoever keeps buying from Metro has deep pockets or they are profligate spenders. Although, I am a little harsh with Metro in this thread I completely understand that they are a business and that they can price their books however they wish. It's just that I probably won't be buying from them anytime in the near future.

I guess that can work both ways. It took me a long time to realise that "it's only a comic book" and except for a few books and a few situations, one of the strongest positions to be in, is the one where you can say "no". Having overreacted and overpaid for a few books myself, behaving badly and never really feeling satisfied, I've come to the conclusion finally that if it's not any fun, then it's not worth doing. When I'm on my deathbed going over in my mind my laundry list of regrets, one of them is not going to be passing up a VG Pep 22 for 2200.00...it'll be missing my grandaughters piano recital, or visiting Italy again or noticing how lovely my wife looks, knee deep in the garden growing the perfect rose. Comic books should be a fun diversion in life, but no more than that.I place that lesson beside the one that tells me not to care about a cancelled tv show, since it's far better to live life than to watch life.

VERY WELL said, BH... you deserve a big round of 893applaud-thumb.gif

I truly love this hobby but sometimes I find myself getting caught up in things too much. I'm starting to step back a bit more in order to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

STEVE

GPAnalysis lists a 9.6 Gaines copy selling for $632.50 a year ago. Is this the same copy? A 9.4 Gaines sold in 2002 for $575. I really don't think Metro is way out in left field on this one.

No, we are being unreasonable. We should sell the book at a loss in order to make a sale and selling it below $500 would insure that.

We discount books all the time but many times we can't discount books to the level that would satisfies each and every buyer. It is just a reality.

S

VERY WELL said, BH... you deserve a big round of 893applaud-thumb.gif

I truly love this hobby but sometimes I find myself getting caught up in things too much. I'm starting to step back a bit more in order to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

STEVE

Steve you are a fine example of what happens to a long time collector when they finally realize that the money they spent on books could have been spent on better things. Although the overpriced books on Metro might sell, people like you and me would regret the purchase later and stop buying books altogether, resulting in a loss of future revenue to comic sellers.

Steve you are a fine example of what happens to a long time collector when they finally realize that the money they spent on books could have been spent on better things. Although the overpriced books on Metro might sell, people like you and me would regret the purchase later and stop buying books altogether, resulting in a loss of future revenue to comic sellers.

Believe me trooper, there were many agonizing moments over the past 3 decades until the epiphany finally occurred.

I'm probably the last person in the world to defend Metro, but they do use a business model that works for them. I know for a fact that their policies cost them sales, but they're obviously willing to accept that. So if the book is priced too high, I'd not worry about it and simply move on to something else.

The fact that we're often at odds probably means little to Metro, but it used to mean a lot to me. No longer - I'd rather enjoy life.

STEVE