• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does CGC view a signature on the splash page?

21 posts in this topic

I just purchased a modern book, and when I opened it, I realized the book has been signed by the inker..

How will CGC treat this? 1. Will they treat it as a defect and downgrade the book accordingly, without noting it on the label. 2. indicate it is signed, and give it a Qualified grade? 3. Recognize the signature, notate it on the label, and not affect the grade of the book.

I know that cgc has a SS label, but from my understanding, CGC must be present at the signing??

I just purchased a modern book, and when I opened it, I realized the book has been signed by the inker..

How will CGC treat this? 1. Will they treat it as a defect and downgrade the book accordingly, without noting it on the label. 2. indicate it is signed, and give it a Qualified grade? 3. Recognize the signature, notate it on the label, and not affect the grade of the book.

I know that cgc has a SS label, but from my understanding, CGC must be present at the signing??

I think an interior creator signature only affects the book at the 10.0 level. In other words, it won't stop a book from being a 9.8. I base this statement on the suggestion in the Overstreet Grading Guide that creator signatures not affect the grade at the 9.9 and below levels. I assume that CGC follows this, but I don't know. I also know that on a Signature Series book, CGC does not consider a verified signature to be a defect even at the 10.0 level. There were some Dave Sim file copies in 10.0 Signature Series labels that had Dave Sim's signature on them.

As far as how CGC handles it, if the creator signature is on an interior page, the book will be in a blue label slab (assuming no other, independent reason to give it a PLOD or qualified label) with a notation of "[creator's name] written on first page in pen." They don't "recognize" the signature in terms of authenticating it. They simply note that someone signed the creator's name on the first page.

hawkman12nw1.jpg

but if the creator write their name on the cover, it's a automatic green label?

I thought it would be the same no matter where they signed it.

As I know a sig on the cover is Green.,

Nope. You only get a green label if it is signed on the cover and the signature was not witnessed by a CGC representative.

Thanks FFB, that makes sense... I know CGC is a little fickle on how they treat sigs. Mine is on the inside splash, so I assume it will get a blue label

did you look at the image i posted? no need to assume. makepoint.gif

Thanks FFB, that makes sense... I know CGC is a little fickle on how they treat sigs. Mine is on the inside splash, so I assume it will get a blue label

He must have you on ignore. poke2.gif

*** you are ignoring this know-it-all ***

acclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

I hope you get syphillis and die. frown.gif

poke2.gif

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

poke2.gif

still would be a better fate than reading your posts, dude.

poke2.gif

shy.gif

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

poke2.gif

poke2.gif

shy.gif

OK, soon as you confirm that you're dying of syphillis, I'll stop posting. yay.gif

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

poke2.gif

poke2.gif

shy.gif

OK, soon as you confirm that you're dying of syphillis, I'll stop posting. yay.gif

in that case, it's almost worth catching it! the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few, and all.

:dancingsyphiliticvegetable:

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

poke2.gif

poke2.gif

shy.gif

People still die from syphilis? poke2.gif

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

poke2.gif

poke2.gif

shy.gif

in San Francisco they do, apparently gossip.gif

acclaim.gif

sorry.gif

poke2.gif

poke2.gif

shy.gif

Yep. Syphillis leads to blindness, which leads to people getting run over by cars.

Seriously though, if untreated, syphillis can kill you even without a car to help.

Boys! Boys! Get inside now and stop messin' around! makepoint.gif

we were just joking confused-smiley-013.gif

at least i was. can't speak for la barrista

acclaim.gif NO ONE CAN SPEAK FOR LA BARRISTA!!!! sumo.gif

hail.gif1601738-barista.jpg

1601738-barista.jpg.2e3588d3e767385f53946661450cce2f.jpg