• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just an etiquette question.

27 posts in this topic

Let's say a book is up for sale in the Marketplace section with a fairly large scan and the seller believes its a FN+. Considering that I don't know much about grading properly, I wanted opinions from the Grading section. Is it appropriate to take the Marketplace scan and put it into the Grading section to ask for opinions on grade?

Thanks!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's say a book is up for sale in the Marketplace section with a fairly large scan and the seller believes its a FN+. Considering that I don't know much about grading properly, I wanted opinions from the Grading section. Is it appropriate to take the Marketplace scan and put it into the Grading section to ask for opinions on grade?

I would say it's out of order. You can do it when you own it, but to do so before...

Whilst I'm sure that it's not your intention, you are indirectly questioning the seller's grading standards and I can see it being frowned upon.

However, you could always ask another couple of boarders, via PM, to give their opinion as to grade. If you know them, try drbanner, greggy, nik, october, qualitycomix, and a whole host of others who know their stuff. thumbsup2.gif

Etiquette? On this board? insane.gif

Anyway, I don't see the harm in asking others about a book you may be interested in that is already up in the Marketplace. The problem is you may alert others to a book they may want, and they may try to nab it.

I would ask a trustworthy board member who knows grading (some names are in an above post) and get their opinion.

I agree with these guys. It's not good etiquette to bust on someone's selling thread, which you're implicitly doing by asking for board opinions on their grading of a book...

But feel free to PM. hi.gif

I think the chances of books being overgraded on the forums is pretty hard, and if they do arrive overgraded then most sellers are friendly and down to earth enough to most likely consider some form of equality.

It's your book. Do what you want with it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the point is...it's not until he buys it?

And he won't buy it until he's sure of the grade.

Slap me if I'm wrong... crazy.gif

No slap needed. You are correct.

Seems like bad form to me. There are so many books going up in the grading forum already that you should be able to make comparisons in your mind anyway. Plus, it's usually the stuff that the scanner doesn't pick up that's the problem that the seller might have even missed.

And you should probably average all things together. There are some people here who grade vastly tighter than CGC, for example. I don't think you should expect that from everyone and be upset if you don't get it. On the grading forum you'll often see a half a point to a point divergence of opinions (or more). Is the lowest grade necessarily the right one? I sold an early marvel keys as a VG to a dealer and he was very happy with it. Opinions here varied from 3.5 (VG-) to 4.5 (VG+), so I figured the average of the opinions would be a safe grade.

Oh go ahead, slap him anyway. He may like it! 893whatthe.gif

Nope...but that doesn't stop you from asking the seller to do so... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Thanks, but I'll leave that kind of stuff to his wife. blush.gif

Thanks, but I'll leave that kind of stuff to his wife. blush.gif

She sends on her thanks, Brad, for your understanding of proper etiquette. thumbsup2.gif

.. that doesn't stop you from asking the seller to do so... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Thats a great way to do it. Ask the seller nicely to have it graded there. Often the grades will be so wide range 6.0-7.5 that the seller can still save face. And since the board can be strict or stricter than CGC itself, if the seller called it an 8.0 and the board averaged a 7.0 he can come back with "OK its a 7.0 but the price stays the same"

If the seller stands pat, simply pass on the book, another one will come around here or on ebay.

Ed

If the price is right, buy it, if you think it's overgraded, then the price won't be right. You can always pm the owner about posting it in the forum for grades, but I wouldn't do it myself.

We all have grading opinions and they vary.............final price point is the most important if you're happy with what you pay.