• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those PGX Guys Have Really Tightened Their Grading...

110 posts in this topic

to be fair, if you cover up that chunk out of the top and completely ignore the giant water stain and pretend there's no writing on the thing Robin's bursting out of, a VG is a pretty accurate grade for this book

You forgot the part where you fire up a huge bong and take a dozen hits before you begin grading.

to be fair, if you cover up that chunk out of the top and completely ignore the giant water stain and pretend there's no writing on the thing Robin's bursting out of, a VG is a pretty accurate grade for this book

You forgot the part where you fire up a huge bong and take a dozen hits before you begin grading.

emot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gifemot-350.gif

Wow - looks schweeet now!!!!

A dozen hits? Five or six does me fine, more than that and I can't find the opening in the mylar.

Was the spine spilt tear sealed up or something? confused.gif

Sure looks that way.

Can't imagine PGX missing restro... blush.gif

You're joking, right? This is the same company whose primary grader referred to pressing as "ironing out wrinkles" at the San Diego ComiCon panel in 2005, and missed all of those blatant trim jobs from Terrance Leder on the Disney books. They miss restoration all the time.

Was the spine spilt tear sealed up or something? confused.gif

Sure looks that way.

Can't imagine PGX missing restro... blush.gif

You're joking, right? This is the same company whose primary grader referred to pressing as "ironing out wrinkles" at the San Diego ComiCon panel in 2005, and missed all of those blatant trim jobs from Terrance Leder on the Disney books. They miss restoration all the time.

Yes.

We still don't have a sarcasm graemlin here.

sign-rantpost.gif

FFB, I truly doubt this is accidental missed resto. Danny Patterson's whole operation stinks of fraud and insider gift grading. Wouldn't doubt one of his buddies picked this book up thru Heritage knowing full well PGX would bump it up and get their piece of the action Christo_pull_hair.gif Would love to find out if the Heritage buyer happens to live in Oregon wink.gif

FFB, I truly doubt this is accidental missed resto. Danny Patterson's whole operation stinks of fraud and insider gift grading. Wouldn't doubt one of his buddies picked this book up thru Heritage knowing full well PGX would bump it up and get their piece of the action Christo_pull_hair.gif Would love to find out if the Heritage buyer happens to live in Oregon wink.gif

Could be, and you may indeed be right about that -- but in a way it almost doesn't matter. Whether it's accidental or on purpose, anyone who misses an almost completely sealed spine split has no right to be certifying comics.

...and somehow, I got publicly derided by multiple people for trying to warn everyone about the same thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=comicgen&Number=1390069

...and somehow, I got publicly derided by multiple people for trying to warn everyone about the same thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=comicgen&Number=1390069

well, if you hadn't attempted to extrapolate the things wrong with PGX over to those who have used the service - thus insulting a good number of people who used PGX for reasons other than shady ones - i believe no one would have said "boo."

it's funny how people have a tendency to be angry when someone calls them either shady or ignorant, regardless of how gently such an assertion is made

it's funny how people have a tendency to be angry when someone calls them either shady or ignorant, regardless of how gently such an assertion is made

That is funny, because you expect the shady to buck up and pretend they're not.

Another result is that the ignorant, while innocent to begin with, are no longer innocent nor ignorant.

All in a day's work. thumbsup2.gif

"Tape isn't restoration!

Tape can improve the grade of a book now?

Where's my scotch roll...?"

I don't consider it restoration. I consider it a defect that knocks the grade down. Just like if little Jimmy decided to practice his magic marker skills on a cover.

Another result is that the ignorant, while innocent to begin with, are no longer innocent nor ignorant.

Don't start this again. poke2.gif

well how convenient for you. you get to throw out an insult, and when people get insulted, obviously they deserved it...because of their reaction!

yaay!

and i think you could have found a better way to educate the ignorant than to cast aspersions towards people, but hey, that's just me i guess

whistle.gif

you really need to expand on this one of these days, you know

I agree Erik. If Daniel is/has/will committ/committed any illegal acts then I think we all have the right to know what it is. I know that all ties were severed with him by you and the guys on the StL boards...but maybe it is something we all should know about?

Scott

Well. I bought a CGC 6.5 from Heritage a couple of weeks ago that can't be better than a vg. A Crippen copy too, so CGC is all over the the place as well. Mighty suspicous.

Same goes for my Jumbo Comics that was graded a 9.0.

I know its a GA book and all, but any other book I subbed if it was in similar condition, I could not see it grading any higher then a 8.0 tops

whistle.gif

you really need to expand on this one of these days, you know

I agree Erik. If Daniel is/has/will committ/committed any illegal acts then I think we all have the right to know what it is. I know that all ties were severed with him by you and the guys on the StL boards...but maybe it is something we all should know about?

Scott

He's more the "give criminals a forum to be heard" type then the "call them out" type. At least that's what history has taught us.