• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do in San Francisco?

45 posts in this topic

But for Borock's post . . . all very amusing grin.gif

Amazing what outsiders think of our fair city . . . wink.gif

Hey! I love SF, my 2nd favorite city thumbsup2.gif

#1 is NYC because it's "got the ways and means" headbang.gif

headbang.gif

I don't know what its like in the winter but have bene there a few times in the summer and its next to impossible to get on one of the trams because of all the people and Alcatraz was booked solid for a couple days. Its really cool to hit some of the nice street level restuarants in the heart of downtown and watch all the activity outside from a window seat.

Hey FFB, how would you rate the glory holes in the adult video stores in SF?

I would have to defer to you, the expert, on that one. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, which one is your favorite one then? popcorn.gif

"but just won't let you be" - Oh no! grin.gif

"Most of the cats that you meet on the street speak of true love."

"Most of the time they're sitting and crying at home."

If you just have 4 or 5 hours to kill one one day, I would suggest something very touristy: take a SF Bus Tour or a Walking Tour. There are many to choose from (haven't done one yet mysef but will at some point) and you can check them on the internet to see if any fall into your timeframe and where they start, which would allow you to plan a mini-whatever before or after the tour (restaraunt, shopping etc depending on where you are).

Problem is, going to a restaraunt or a store to shop - hell you might as well do that at home. There will be a dozen recommendations for what restaraunt (I have eaten at the Slanted Door and it is excellent but so are many others.) Thing about SF is it is all about micro-environments (they even have micro-climates!). Little sections of the city are like cohesive units amoungst something of a sprawl. Chinatown, North Beach, Noe Valley, Pac heights, Marina, Mission, Sunset etc etc etc. So I would suggest a tour followed by or preceded by a meal/walkabout.

"one of these days baby, you've got to get going!" grin.gif

Thing about SF is it is all about micro-environments (they even have micro-climates!). Little sections of the city are like cohesive units amoungst something of a sprawl. Chinatown, North Beach, Noe Valley, Pac heights, Marina, Mission, Sunset etc etc etc. So I would suggest a tour followed by or preceded by a meal/walkabout.

No love for the Haight or Castro??? tongue.gifwink.gif

Thing about SF is it is all about micro-environments (they even have micro-climates!). Little sections of the city are like cohesive units amoungst something of a sprawl. Chinatown, North Beach, Noe Valley, Pac heights, Marina, Mission, Sunset etc etc etc. So I would suggest a tour followed by or preceded by a meal/walkabout.

I have etcetera'd them and many more. but the Haight? I really despise it. Nothing like it was in the old days. It has become a haven for runaways and druggies.

I phoned you yesterday but got your bleeding answering service. (yes, I know you were not expecting a call from me but still) frustrated.gifhi.gif

I have etcetera'd them and many more. but the Haight? I really despise it. Nothing like it was in the old days. It has become a haven for runaways and druggies.

I phoned you yesterday but got your bleeding answering service. (yes, I know you were not expecting a call from me but still) frustrated.gifhi.gif

Forgot that Castro is in Noe Valley...and yes, the Haight Ashbury is like Carnaby Street in London - a superficial and ancient relic of its' former glories. Then again wasn't the Haight a haven for runaways from '67 onwards? tongue.gif

Thanks for the unexpected call...best time to call for left coasters is 6PM GMT, which is 10AM PST, FWIW. Usually in then...

Forgot that Castro is in Noe Valley...and yes, the Haight Ashbury is like Carnaby Street in London - a superficial and ancient relic of its' former glories. Then again wasn't the Haight a haven for runaways from '67 onwards? tongue.gif

Thanks for the unexpected call...best time to call for left coasters is 6PM GMT, which is 10AM PST, FWIW. Usually in then...

Not so much for runaways as much as for those who had broken with "the establishment". They didn;t run away as much as ran towards - a cause, a percpetion etc. Nowadays it is a lot of just "punks" out there. And tourists. Ahh well. SF is a great city regardless. Glad I moved here.

"one of these days baby, you've got to get going!" grin.gif

"Out of the door and down on the streets all alone." cool.gif