• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 $150K!!!

114 posts in this topic

Getting back to the AF15, does anyone know the graders notes on this issue? It does look nice, but what keeps it from higher grades?

Got a heritage account? Take a look at it. It's lot # 5073 from the March Signature auction.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/closedviewlot.asp?s=806&l=5073&zoom=1&SID=

#1....... AF #15 for $150K is alot of money but you never know who will want it and when.

and

#2 I happen to know the specifics of Kevin's deal on the Spidey #14 because I wanted to know and I asked and let me tell you he got a good deal. The only hold up was his DD #1 and it's back to being a minor book on the market again so he did good anyway.

Ericc123

maybe so maybe so...but the potential to make $$ on those books was huge....DD #1 could have fetched $6-8K a few months ago and Hulk #181 maybe $3K.....I agree that the #14 is a great book but the price paid IMO was too high.

I don't have a crystal ball George,Look at how common those books i gave up are? The Cap 100 had cream pages. The opportunity came up to get a 14 9.4 and I took it.The 14 will out last all those other books i gave up in the long run.I can always get another 181 anytime as well as a DD 1.What I collect now is much different than what i collected then,2 years or so ago, a FF 48 was hot,now it's not.I have some very impressive books now that I stayed away from what most people collect..I'll take a Hulk 4 9.2,before I'll take a Hulk 181 in 9.4. Kevin

Hey I tried to add a scan but the file has to be no larger than 150,000 bytes...way too small to see it,you would have to put a microsope to the computer screen to see it..lol. hey i tried anyway,But PM me if anyone wants to see it,and i'll email it. Kevin

Why not just add a URL linking the image? Better than a huge window-stretching scan anyway!

all i am saying is that you could have made out on those books and still paid for the asm #14.....i agree the Hulk #4 9.2 is a better book than the Hulk #181 in 9.4...but not for $4500! grin.gif

all i am saying is that you could have made out on those books and still paid for the asm #14.....i agree the Hulk #4 9.2 is a better book than the Hulk #181 in 9.4...but not for $4500! grin.gif

if i didn't pay it,it would have been sold..like you know anything about spending that kinda cash on books

I don't have a crystal ball George,Look at how common those books i gave up are? The Cap 100 had cream pages. The opportunity came up to get a 14 9.4 and I took it.The 14 will out last all those other books i gave up in the long run.I can always get another 181 anytime as well as a DD 1.What I collect now is much different than what i collected then,2 years or so ago, a FF 48 was hot,now it's not.I have some very impressive books now that I stayed away from what most people collect..I'll take a Hulk 4 9.2,before I'll take a Hulk 181 in 9.4. Kevin

Kev, I don't know the specifics of your deal with the ASM 14, but if you had to give up a DD #1, Cap 100 and a Hulk 181 and some cash, BRAVO!

I know that we have had our movie differences in the past (ie Batman 1989 and the Hulk tongue.gif) but let's just face facts: the Spiderman movie cemented the Green Goblin as the #1 Spidey villian of all time. The 14 is a true "blue chip" book, especially in 9.4.

Mr. Nice said it best, so let me quote him:

Trade deals, or trade + cash deals are like that. Very hard to calculate. Kevin may have been into the Cap and Hulk for nothing and seized a good opportunity to get something he really wanted. Plus, how wrong could he have gone getting a Spiderman 14 in CGC 9.4. In years to come, that #14 will still remain one of the 25 Marvel "Blue-Chip" comics and he has the item in the "right" grade. In the coming years, it won't matter whether he's in for $10Gs or less, $11Gs, $12Gs, or even more, part cash, part trade.

More power to him. He offed some common books, and even though they were high grade, of no great rarity at all for one great item that you can count the number of existing copies of in that grade or better on your hands. He made a sound deal from this bystanders vantagepoint, and I would assume has absolutely no regrets about it. It's an awesome issue in a rarely seen, rarely offered grade.

Right on! I'll tell you, if there is one thing that I learned in this past year looking for some BA (let alone SA) Batman books - sometimes you have to strike when the book is offered, which is not necessarily when you want to. If the movie hype is going to bring out the sellers, than you have to be ready to play ball.

When you have a Hulk 181 and a Cap 100 you are just playing the "greater fool" game trying to cash out before the bottom falls out. The DD #1 has already shown this to be the case. Get the best, most important, rarest books in the highest quality you can and you will do okay.

To touch upon this AF #15 (after all, wasn't that the subject of the thread 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ), being at the Heritage auction in March and seeing this book in person, I for one would never want this book. It just looks "dirty". Even in the scan you can totally tell that the cover colors are subdued and that the book seems to have several layers of grime. Do I think it is worth $150? Not a chance. But you never know what will happen with S2, although personally I think that even at the $86K that it sold for, I would rather have a 9.2 with truly supply pages and cover gloss. If you are going to spend that kind of money, I would wait for a "prettier" copy.

DAM

all i am saying is that you could have made out on those books and still paid for the asm #14

Rewind back to Febuary of 2002,Were those books that i sold going for what they are now? NO! bottom line is that your just jealous...admit it george,your collection sucks

please......in the past 4 months, i have made sales over $11K so spare me the BS and get to work.....gotta pay for those books.

Someone get me a shovel..it's getting awfully high.

i document all my sales.....unless excel suddenly stopped working, my totals add up to $11,150. cloud9.gif