• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 $150K!!!

114 posts in this topic

but of course those were not the only books involved plus the additional $$$.....and of course the asm #14 is the better book but it is the price paid that i am talkin about.

Get over it. You're obviously the only one that cares and it's becoming a little scary trying to figure out why you care so much about a transaction that had nothing to do with you. It's also obvious that this is about more then some deal that some guy made for some funny books. Go see a shrink or something.

listen to this insufficiently_thoughtful_person who spouted "dc sucks" without any thought whatsoever. if people knew the facts of the deal, they would not be so kind. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

listen to this insufficiently_thoughtful_person who spouted "dc sucks" without any thought whatsoever. if people knew the facts of the deal, they would not be so kind. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok Gman you win..people here was the deal at the time of Febuary 2002

ASM 121 9.4 OW

Silver Surfer 4 9.4 OW/W

Captain America 100 9.4 Cream/OW

Hulk 181 9.4 OW

Daredevil 1 9.2 OW

$3000 cash

Seems like a fairly decent deal to me at the time,nothing i gave up i couldn't get again,Ok guys, you've seen the scan and know the deal.I still think gman is talkin out of his 893censored-thumb.gif

Ok Gman you win..people here was the deal at the time of Febuary 2002

ASM 121 9.4 OW

Silver Surfer 4 9.4 OW/W

Captain America 100 9.4 Cream/OW

Hulk 181 9.4 OW

Daredevil 1 9.2 OW

$3000 cash

Seems like a fairly decent deal to me at the time,nothing i gave up i couldn't get again,Ok guys, you've seen the scan and know the deal.I still think gman is talkin out of his 893censored-thumb.gif

Ok, I have very little clue as to Marvel values, but based on the scarcity of the ASM #14 and the abundance of most of the others ones, it seems like a reasonable deal to me. Would I do it? If I had those comics listed above, I probably would do the deal, since those comics aren't important to me and the appreciation potential for the ASM 14 seems to be much better.

But the real test is if you're happy with the deal, not how much money could be potentially made on the other stuff. I've overpaid for things I want (not saying you overpaid here) and will do so in the future. Someone else can put prices on the above comics and add in the three grand to let us know if the deal is good or bad on paper.

It sounds like you and the seller are both happy with it, so no worries!

OK, to hopefully never, never have to hear about this deal again wink.gif I've done a gp analysis (values approx):

shuley gave up:

surfer 4 850

asm 121 500

cap 100 625 less cow pages = 500

hulk 181 2150

dd 1 5800

cash 3000

total = 12800

shuley got

asm 14 = 9300

They're both right - shuley gave up a lot, but nothing he can't re-acquire. The ASM only pops up once in a while. Furthermore, whenever you're trading up, you have to offer more value in order to get the bigger book. It's a little higher than I would have liked to pay but sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to get the book. The price is high but it's not assinine.

From a collector perspective, Shuley did fine. From a flipping perspective, Shuley did terrible. Gman likes to deal books so he finds the deal offensive. Kevin's more of a collector so he is happy getting the book - screw the price paid, it is a key book that is difficult to get one's hands on and has a lot of long term potential. It was the right deal for Kevin but not for gman. So let it go tongue.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Seems like a fairly decent deal to me at the time,nothing i gave up i couldn't get again,Ok guys, you've seen the scan and know the deal.I still think gman is talkin out of his

I do not think it is a great deal but not out of reasonability. Certainly better then the $23k paid last year at Heritage for a 9.6. As gman said, it was indeed about the equivalent of $12k for that book - about 4 times guide and what one would expect to pay for high grade early ASM's. The only thing that would have hurt me more on the deal if I was doing it was the DD #1, ouch -I have not seen too many of those in 9.2. The rest, as you said, can be easily replaced and probably for less now then what was the trade value.

Tomega

OK, to hopefully never, never have to hear about this deal again wink.gif I've done a gp analysis (values approx):

shuley gave up:

surfer 4 850

asm 121 500

cap 100 625 less cow pages = 500

hulk 181 2150

dd 1 5800

cash 3000

total = 12800

shuley got

asm 14 = 9300

They're both right - shuley gave up a lot, but nothing he can't re-acquire. The ASM only pops up once in a while. Furthermore, whenever you're trading up, you have to offer more value in order to get the bigger book. It's a little higher than I would have liked to pay but sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to get the book. The price is high but it's not assinine.

From a collector perspective, Shuley did fine. From a flipping perspective, Shuley did terrible. Gman likes to deal books so he finds the deal offensive. Kevin's more of a collector so he is happy getting the book - screw the price paid, it is a key book that is difficult to get one's hands on and has a lot of long term potential. It was the right deal for Kevin but not for gman. So let it go tongue.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

After seeing the prices, I'd still do it. Yeah, on paper it looks like a mediocre deal, but I think that scarcity plays a bigger role for future appreciation than just the sale prices of the other books. People will be clamoring for the ASM 14 and they will always be hard to find. I'm pretty sure I could find any of those others (except maybe the DD) if I had the great desire to.

I would argue that Daredevil #1 CGC 9.2 is not worth $5800. The majority of GPA's data encompasses the Daredevil movie hype, but since that has died down, it seems to be worth more around the $4500 range now. Heritage sold one for $4900 recently and ebay user "sonnyparrot" sold one for $4050 over the last few weeks.

Daredevil could have more profit potential than Spidey 14 over the long haul as a major early Marvel first issue and first appearance...that's extremely debatable of course due to the popularity of Spidey and the Green Goblin.

I know I am against everyone else but I think you overpaid. You could have sold all of those books and probably got the ASM 14 without putting up much or any cash at all.

Maybe. But to me, if it's something I really want it might take too long to sell all the other stuff and some other guy might get it. That's how I look at some deals.

glad to hear the sensibility of forum members at least taking both sides of the transaction. The DD #1 was the tough book to give up IMO. I saw it and it was really nice. I would have kept that and tried to negotiate the $$ part of the deal a little more....

I'm not here to comment on the deal- everything that follows can be ignored in terms of how much Kevin traded for his copy of ASM 14.

I just want to point out that Daredevil #1 isn't exactly the same sort of book as Captain America 100. Everyone keeps lumping it in with those late 60s books and Hulk 181. That's just silly. It's not even that much of a sluggard when compared to ASM #14. Both books are from 1964 (DD#1 is three months older.)

Check GPAnalysis, DD sells for similar multiples in equivalent grade (they're especially easy to compare last year when they were separated by only $200 in the Guide:)

DD #1 from June 2002 to March of 2003 (guided for $2700)

(9.4) (2) $13,338.89 14,877/11,800

(9.2) (5) $6,301.00 7,200/5,300

(9.0) (9) $3,466.37 4,251/2,600

ASM #14 from June 2002 to March 2003 (guided for $2500)

(9.6) - $20,750.00 - Marvel Comics 1

(9.6) - $23,000.00 - Northland Pedigree

(9.4) (4) $9,312.50 10,100/8,250

(9.2) (3) $3,571.63 3,800/3,414

(9.0) (8) $2,413.38 3,100/2,025

I know DD had movie heat attached to it later in the year, but ASM still had some at the beginning of the period, so it's not that outrageous a comparison.

And check the census:

Daredevil #1

Near Mint + 9.6 2 0 0 0 2

Near Mint 9.4 13 0 0 3 16

Near Mint - 9.2 18 0 0 6 24

Amazing Spider-Man #14

Near Mint + 9.6 6 0 0 0 6

Near Mint 9.4 8 0 0 3 11

Near Mint - 9.2 19 0 0 7 26

Don't get me wrong. I think ASM #14 is a great book. I know there are more Spider-Man collectors out there than there are Daredevil collectors by a pretty good margin. I know the Goblin's central place in Spidey's Silver/Bronze universe. I know all this.

I just wanted Ol' hornhead to get a little bit of respect smile.gif

BOTH KEVIN AND GMAN ARE WRONG!!!!!! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

Just playing devil's advocate (since several other board members think they were both right).

Actually the only problem I have with Kevin's ASM #14 is that mine looks almost identical (same very light crease at the top left hand side) and I only got a VF/NM.

That bothers me. 893frustrated.gif

The DD# 1 is a tough book to throw in that deal, but the other books as everyone else noted are easy enough to find. I would still do that deal because of the rarity of acquiring that ASM#14 in 9.4... and I don't think you can look at the trade from a purely financial status but let's say you wanted to reacquire all of the books in the same grade... probably pretty easy (I'm not sure of the DD#1 in 9.2 but they do come up) as opposed to the ASM... how often is it offered... and more importantly, how easy is it to find one actually for sale... and then have it offered on the open market where you can make the trade in the first place.

I don't see where gman thinks it's a bad deal, but from the standpoint of the dealer, he wouldn't do it... but if you're going to keep the book, and you're a collector, I think a better question is why NOT do the deal.