• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 $150K!!!

114 posts in this topic

ummm.....so what the big deal anyway?he got a book he wanted at a price he wanted to pay.i am not trying to step on any toes here,i am a newbie so not looking to make any enemies,but he is happy,correct?my friends think i am insane for buying comics period,but i am happy with my purchases.if i had that kind of $$ to spend on a comic i would sure as hell start with that one,at whatever price i could afford.

Once again, replying to those that are analyzing and scrutinizing this Spiderman #14 trade/cash deal....

It seems that the most important factor isn't even primarily being considered here:

Kevin LIKES the book and was willing to do what it took to get it. Why is that so surprising? Why is he under the gun or being analyzed for that? This should be first and foremost a hobby, a diversion.

Kevin has done something here that he should be applauded and admired for. He has shown himself to be a true hobbyist, a collector, passionate about one of his pieces and rightfully so, it's a beautiful comic that anyone would be proud to own. Remember that word? Passion? It's the motivation that should have driven us to collect and love comics as our chosen hobby in the first place as we took the first baby steps to formulate our collections.

If it's all about dollars and cents, it's work, not a hobby. If it's all about work, the time spent trying to turn a 10% to 20% profit on comics would be more productively and cost-effectively spent just getting a second job!!

If it's all about dollars and cents, it's work, not a hobby. If it's all about work, the time spent trying to turn a 10% to 20% profit on comics would be more productively and cost-effectively spent just getting a second job!!

Very good point (I'll bump you some stars).

I think most of us want to make some money of our comics when we sell. But the time I'm putting into it would never amount to much on a Per Hour Basis.

To give an example, I have a brother who collects snakes (yes, snakes). Now of course we get into discussions about how he can sell certain snakes he finds for several hundred dollars and if they breed he can make more. But, for the time he puts into finding them, feeding them, etc. its not much on a per hour basis. And even if I COULD MAKE $50 AN HOUR, I WOULD NEVER COLLECT THEM.

And he would be the same with comic books. There would be no PASSION for him to do all the research on grading and pricing and reading these boards and..... you get my point.

The fact is, this is a Hobby and if I can make any money on my Hobby, that's a bonus. That doesn't mean I want to overspend on ever book I buy, or I want to get ripped off by overgrading sellers or scammers. But I don't have to jusitfy my hobby on a Per Hour Basis. 893blahblah.gif

Man it's good to see that the staus-quo is still up to snuff. I've been away for almost a week now, and the Shuley Bros. vs. Gman battle is still on. Thank god! tongue.gif

Chris

Man it's good to see that the staus-quo is still up to snuff. I've been away for almost a week now, and the Shuley Bros. vs. Gman battle is still on. Thank god! tongue.gif

Chris

hey, gman was the one who brought it up,not me.this thread was suppose to be about PGCMINT's AF 15 9.4...not about what I buy

What are the origins of this Kevin/G-Man "cold war"/ mild feud? Is there a specific incident that launched it or is it just one of those things like the Hatfields and McCoys, England and Ireland? Factions that have been feuding for some damned long that they can't even remember why anymore? They, their former, and future kin are just pre-programmed that way? I don't know much about early Board history and am curious as to how these ongoing skirmishes amongst certain factions originated especially as both do seem to be very level-headed and astute individuals when it comes to comics.

Time to face facts, Kevin.... you have a stalker!!!! smile.gif

I do have a stalker..i have someone with too much time on there hands to worry about what i pay for books and such.Gman,take some advice,spend more time with the wife and not me.Why don't george o'malley worry about george o'malley????????????????????????confused.gif

What are the origins of this Kevin/G-Man "cold war"/ mild feud? Is there a specific incident that launched it or is it just one of those things like the Hatfields and McCoys, England and Ireland? Factions that have been feuding for some damned long that they can't even remember why anymore? They, their former, and future kin are just pre-programmed that way? I don't know much about early Board history and am curious as to how these ongoing skirmishes amongst certain factions originated especially as both do seem to be very level-headed and astute individuals when it comes to comics.

it's not worth getting into....this thread will go on and on.....just don't take what is said on these boards too seriously...especially what kevin has to say. wink.gif