• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Logic

22 posts in this topic

Another argument for making graders notes fully available online. Seriously, I would pay for this access.

I think a lot of people would. Just as a lot of people would pay extra to see detailed notes about restoration, along with before and after pix.

If it's worth the time and energy to obsess over the difference between a 9.6 or a 9.8 copy of Civil War Unlimited, then it's worth the same if not more time to tell us exactly what "pieces added" means on an Action 1. "What pieces?" "tears sealed where?" "How much color touch and where" "Has the spine been rebuilt or not?" Leave it vague for the ridiculously common books, but don't obsess over details on common books and then tell us you can't be bothered with details on the most valuable and rare books.

[

A GIANT chunk missing from the cover and the books stays 2.5. But how many times have you seen a book with a split spine that was graded 1.0 or even .5 -- with little or even no paper missing.

How many times have you seen one of those single staple book with a loose cover graded 1.0 because an infinitessimal piece of paper is missing at the staple?

This is not an unreasonable position to take, but there are many that intensely dislike this defect because it has made it difficult to read and handle the book. From their perspective it's like having an antique car that is complete and in immactulate condition but with an engine that won't turn over.

So if the standard were changed and the popped staple books were grade as Fines, then there would be another person on the boards screaming bloody murder about that.

Let the screaming commence

Archie6CGCvf2300.jpg

I guess some "popped staple" books are more equal than others.