• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #38 - 1st Robin - thoughts?

81 posts in this topic

Can someone who doesn't also believe Obidiah Oldbuck is an important character chime on this one? We need more of a quorum on the anti-Robin side.

wink.gif

When the Obadiah Oldbuck movie comes out you'll be whistling a different tune.

I won't be whistling anything because I'll be dead from an aneurysm.

Robin is the sidekick in a world renowned show. The green lantern is the star of a regional theater.

Until GL gets more recog factor that's how it is

That's a bunch of bunk...and All American 16 is one of the greatest GA comics out there....it would take it 10,000 times faster than a Tec 38, and I'm a Tec collector. Again, I don't care what future generations think with my comments....I am talkin' here and now, collector to collector...not what a school kid will think in 2022

The logic behind your reply takes really bizarre turns. You say "it's a bvunch of bunk" and then go on to say essentially that it may be true but you just don't care. If you don't care, fine.

But your lack of caring about a fact doesn't change the fact or make it a bunch of bunk.

And if you think it's different because you're talking about "here and now, collevctor to collector," you should remember you did not make that condition at the outset of your inquiry.

And even i fyou HAD, it would mean you're asking for opinions, which would mean it'd still be argumentatively unacceptable to say that an opinion is a "bunch of bunk"!

I respect your emotions but geez am I glad we don't have people like you in our government making life and death decisions.

Oh, wait....

I love AA16, but Det 38 is by far more significant. Also, Det 38 is common, but it is actually very uncommon if you are looking for a copy without the printing defect.
\

what defect is that?

Det 38 has notorious poor registration. The Allentown copies has very good (not perfect) registration. The Crippen has so-so registration.

registration is how the different colors on a cover are overlapped onto each other in the printing process. In perfect registration you won't notice a thing, in poor registration you get ghost images of the out of register color shifted lightly from where it should be.

Well, I was hoping to start some conversation & it looks like I did! Glad to hear everyone's input. For me, I think it a very important book, but like many on here there are just way too many books I'd want first, even if I could afford one. Evey classic villain cover would beat it because thats what I like best.

As to why its more important then AA!6, I think its a no brainer, YES GL is way cooler, but not only did that book introduce robin, it ontroduced a concept. Like it or not. AA16 did not introduce a concept into comics, just a variation on a theme. I'd take AA16 over the tec38 every day too though.

The logic behind your reply takes really bizarre turns. You say "it's a bvunch of bunk" and then go on to say essentially that it may be true but you just don't care.

Bluechip...eveything is fine now.....brain and logic working well again. Last night was a big vodka and posting night for me.....I often ruffle some feathers when that happens tongue.gif

I think the minor scuffles over Tec 38 vs. All-American 16 from last night had to do with the lack of defining "important" from the get go. There is what is "important" to an experienced hobbyist, which was my point of view, hence the choice of the dominant character being The Green Lantern. ( I believe that most GA collectors would chose AA16 over Tec38 )

CentaurMan chose Robin as a dominant character, and his reference point was popularity in the public's eye, and even the publics perception 30 years down the road. I believe that is obviously and unquestionably true.

My point is, I think everyone had valid picks.....just a question of what defined "important" in their minds. ( and what they were drinkin' when they were typin' wink.gif)

I think the minor scuffles over Tec 38 vs. All-American 16 from last night had to do with the lack of defining "important" from the get go. There is what is "important" to an experienced hobbyist, which was my point of view, hence the choice of the dominant character being The Green Lantern. ( I believe that most GA collectors would chose AA16 over Tec38 )

CentaurMan chose Robin as a dominant character, and his reference point was popularity in the public's eye, and even the publics perception 30 years down the road. I believe that is obviously and unquestionably true.

Bang on correct analysis here and my viewpoint also! thumbsup2.gif

Anna Nicole Smith is far more recognizable to mainstream America than Condoleezza Rice, therefore she is more important.

STEVE

regardless of how Anna Nicoles legacy pans out, I dare say it will outlast and out shine Condoleeza's! She'll be barely remembered and only in the context of Iraq.... and badly. At least Anna will get a heavy dose of sympathy.

I really like Tec 38. Of course I love the pre-Robin Tecs most of all. But there is no denying, in my mind, that it is a huge key book. I think if some others owned one, and read it, they would like it too. It is one of the last issues, until the 70's, that still reflected some of the darkness of the original Batman stories.

It is a very cool book, and is on my want list. I sold my copy two years ago and regret doing so.

I really like Tec 38. Of course I love the pre-Robin Tecs most of all. But there is no denying, in my mind, that it is a huge key book. I think if some others owned one, and read it, they would like it too. It is one of the last issues, until the 70's, that still reflected some of the darkness of the original Batman stories.

It is a very cool book, and is on my want list. I sold my copy two years ago and regret doing so.

Hey Bill hi.gif....what say you? All-American 16 or Tec 38..which is more signifigant to you??

Hey Bill hi.gif....what say you? All-American 16 or Tec 38..which is more signifigant to you??

Hi Steve,

Significant to "me" as a collector? AA 16 without question. Significant to the medium? Tec 38 by a wide margin. Robin is simply one of the most recognizable comic icons of all time.

Hi Steve,

Significant to "me" as a collector? AA 16 without question. Significant to the medium? Tec 38 by a wide margin. Robin is simply one of the most recognizable comic icons of all time.

I 100% agree with you......guess that means this thread will fizzle out quickly....no contraversy cool.gif

This little jewel has Robin on it too! But I am happy to have one again at long last!

mm0131.jpg

One of the best all-around golden age books there is, from the standpoint of story, art significane and recognizability. Isn't valued at what it should be. I know there are more of them existing then some other keys, but nothing remotely like what you see with silver age.