• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

METROPOLIS COMICS?

59 posts in this topic

Books I bought from them were graded right IMO, but when they arrived they were damaged by impact shipping.. we're talking impact dents to the left bottom corner of each book which would certainly knock the books down... but whatever... I chalked it up to poor packaging as they arrived sticking out of the cardboard protection...and oh yeah... they always refuse any offer I made ... but that's ok as the internet has proven that any ...any...book isn't scarce if you're patient and look hard. Overall, I would still recommend them compared to the other "raw" krap out there via a dealer.

And some comic dealers I know are...well...just 800 lbs.

27_laughing.gif

I liked that too. 27_laughing.gif

My feeling is this: I've bought from Metropolis on quite a few occasions. They usually have the books, but they're almost always .5 off on the grades. If they say it's 4.5 .........I say it's 4.0......just MHO. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just bought my first book from them. Fairly priced according to guide, accurately graded. But I kept waiting and waiting for the book to be shipped. I recieved three emails over 6 weeks telling me that my book was late to ship due to a "huge amount of orders " and that I would be notified when my book was shipped....I finally called after the 6th week and asked what the "delay " was....Apparently there was no backlog of orders. A miscommunication between shipping and accounting. Frank was very apologetic. Very polite and professional. I was assured my book was there in his hands and would go out that day.......Didn't go out for a couple more days....But was shipped well and arrived USPS (like I requested)

One sale doesn't make an opinion...... I will probably buy from them again....

I just bought my first book from them. Fairly priced according to guide, accurately graded. But I kept waiting and waiting for the book to be shipped. I recieved three emails over 6 weeks telling me that my book was late to ship due to a "huge amount of orders " and that I would be notified when my book was shipped....I finally called after the 6th week and asked what the "delay " was....Apparently there was no backlog of orders. A miscommunication between shipping and accounting. Frank was very apologetic. Very polite and professional. I was assured my book was there in his hands and would go out that day.......Didn't go out for a couple more days....But was shipped well and arrived USPS (like I requested)

One sale doesn't make an opinion...... I will probably buy from them again....

I had the same song and dance routine about delayed shipping. I was told the computer went down. The only thing I like about Metro so far is the grading which is the most important characteristic when buying from a dealer over the internet so I would buy from them again.

Was looking at filling some holes in my Daredevil run. Metropolis has a pretty good selection. Anyone ever deal with them? How's there grading and service? Thanks for any info.

drx

They are perhaps the finest people ever to grace the planet Earth.

S

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Very helpful and courteous even thought I haven't yet bought anything from them since they keep turning down my offers. blush.gif I'll get it one of these days.

Thats about my experience as well... they ALWAYS offer me free shipping in the US though, which for me is as useful as a kick in the balls yeahok.gif

Having done a fair amount of business recently with Metropolis and being familiar with them for years, here's my fairly honest assessment of Metro:

As someone mentioned, the 800 lb. gorilla of the hobby. Stephen is a decent, knowledgable guy -- has built Metro into a real giant. Very well financed and certainly willing to spend the money to acquire books. As most know, sometimes not the most personable guy when dealing with customers, so Vincent Zurzolo was brought in.

Vincent is, in my mind right now, the face of the company. Extremely knowledgeable and passionate about comics, Vinny is bright and a good business person. At times, I think he takes the business deals far too personally. On the other hand, this serves him well at times because this guy ALWAYS makes the extra effort for you. Even if it isn't readily apparent, he is always trying.

Frank is very helpful, personable guy, and the guy at the front desk or answering the phone when calling in. Never had a problem with Frank, unlikely that I ever will.

The grading is, like most dealers, sometimes on, and sometimes not. I tend to be very picky and a "high maintenance" collector. Metro has succeeded in customer service with me, and I can be difficult to deal with, which in turn can make it a difficult sale. But, if you, or anyone else, is spending thousands of dollars on comics (or heck, if you are spending $20) you expect a reasonable level of professionalism, and let's face it, many dealers lack that. Metro doesn't. On raw books, I've found that the grading is relatively accurate, but I generally will ask Vinny to take a second look if the book is expensive. Their return policy on raw, does make it a smooth process (generally).

Pricing is of course, what you hear people discuss most about in terms of Metro. They are not cheap. On the other hand, Metro's inventory makes them clearly worthwhile to deal with. UNQUESTIONABLY. They have, and have access to, so many incredible books. I used to resist the pricing, but I have moved away from books that I found easy to acquire in high grade (read, post 65 SA Marvels and BA Marvels (where everyone and their mother is unearthing a "new" high grade BA find) to books that are very difficult to find in 7.5/8.0 or better. Since then, I can't find "a" copy with most dealers, and thus I have gone to Metro who has consistently produced books for me to buy.

I no longer "expect" a discount unless I have reasonable points as to why the book should be dropped in price. In fact, I am actually willing to pay their price b/c market demands indicate this is where the price is often times -- and a copy may not have come to market for a year or two -- rather than compete in a bid, I will just buy it. I also now understand better the idea of "replacement value". It's not easy to just go out and find another Action 242 VF or a Captain America Comics 74 F+. Of course, it's not impossible. But... I have looked for other copies, ebay, even Heritage and struck out when looking for certain books that Metro has found.

At the end of the day, there are clearly plusses and minuses to dealing with Metro. You have to be willing to often times pay higher than GPA prices. But if I were a new customer trying to find a book or looking for books that others don't have accessible in the grade you are looking for, you are foolish if Metro does not come into consideration. Like all businesses, you have to make the time and effort to cultivate a relationship with them -- and if you do, I think it will only reward your collection in the long run.

This was very well said Brian. I think you were very direct and honest in your assesment. I really take it with a grain of salt when people act like a dealer is the second coming of the Messiah. Granted, I also am leary of when someone completly trashes a dealer too....

I think one of the problems, if you can call it that, is that Metro is too big. They have the resourses and the inventory to back up any arrogance, but at the same time, it's usually this "arrogance" that turns alot of people off. When I was buying high grade, expensive books I found so many other venues to get material that I really didn't see the need to use them. With everything from Ebay, Superworld, Bob Storms, Comic Link and a few others, I found myself finding the book I wanted in the grade I wanted for a price that was usually less than an exact copy from Metro. There are exceptions, as you pointed out. Finding alot of those key early DC issues is brutal, but it can happen.

I know that Metro has been scrutinized for their less than stellar customer service, their "no time payment , this is the price - take it or leave it policy".....and I have noticed that they've worked to correct this and make themselves more approachable. So in that sense I think they should be commended.

I haven't met Stephen (yet) and I generally like Vinny. I think Brian hit it on the head that he tends to be the "face of Metro" and probably a good choice.

As I said in my previous post, I will probably buy from them again. -

curious as to what you meant by less than steller customer service and no time payments, as metro does time payments on tons of their books, and all my conversations with frank have been excellent.

also, does bob storms have a website?

curious as to what you meant by less than steller customer service and no time payments, as metro does time payments on tons of their books, and all my conversations with frank have been excellent.

He meant IN THE PAST there have been some customer service issues with the owner who has a reputation of not being a people person - he wasn't referring to Frank..., & time payments had less favorable terms back then, than they do today

I've bought both pre-code horror and HG BA horror. It's been over a year but I assume things are pretty much the same.

Always co-operative. Only had to return maybe 3 books out of not sure how many - 60 or more over several orders. Never a problem with returns. Always packed very securely. Always arrived quickly. Very satisfied with the grading. Easy to talk with on the phone. What else to say?

Hooked up with Vinnie at Wondercon 2005 and asked how grading was on GA lower/midgrades. He brought out a couple of raw boxes - not thinking I would buy but for me to simply look through to get a feel for how they graded. Classy!

I've had nothing but great experiences with Metro via ordering books, buying at the SD Comic Con and even doing consignments. Sometimes they are over by half a grade but other times they were under. I picked up a nice SA Spidey from them graded 8.5 that came back 9.0.

I had reasonably good luck with them. Nothing was in better shape than what was advertised, though a couple were a notch down. But they weren't expensive books so I kept them.

Easiest thing I could say is I'll probably buy from them again.

I know that Metro has been scrutinized for their less than stellar customer service, their "no time payment , this is the price - take it or leave it policy"....I have noticed that they've worked to correct this and make themselves more approachable . So in that sense I think they should be commended.