• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brave and the Bold #28

44 posts in this topic

I was looking at gpanalysis and noticed that there were 2 copies of B&B #28 that sold in November 2006 and January 2007 (both CGC 9.0) for the same price $10,755. Are these 2 different books or the same book?

I really don't want to spend that much for one book, so I am looking for a copy in CGC 8.0 which I saw listed in the upcoming Heritage auction---but I have reservations because of the miswrap.

Just checked the census and there's 12 8.0 copies. If you're already unhappy with the Heritage book, don't buy it. Your dislike will only increase once its in your possession. Waiting it out for a better centered copy may take awhile, but ultimately will be more rewarding IMHO.

Hi Mark hi.gif

Is the Lauterbach thread the one about the BB 28 that went from a CGC 8.0 to

a CGC 9.0? I remember reading something about that a while back. This makes me even more sure that I want a CGC 8.0 copy. This way I save thousands of dollars and my wife won't kill me smile.gif

johnny

Thanks Filter81,

I finally found it on ebay----I couldn't get it to come up under brave and the bold 28, but found it with brave and bold 28.

Looks like a nice copy, but there is some miscellaneous stain on the upper part of the front cover----not sure what that is confused-smiley-013.gif

johnny

Thanks Filter81,

I finally found it on ebay----I couldn't get it to come up under brave and the bold 28, but found it with brave and bold 28.

Looks like a nice copy, but there is some miscellaneous stain on the upper part of the front cover----not sure what that is confused-smiley-013.gif

johnny

It's a distributor ink overspray I believe. Technically does not affect grade -- depends on if it bothers you. The Hollywood Hills book all display this as well... for some people this bothers them -- for others, it does not.

Thanks for clarifying that, Foolkiller!

Although I don't mind date stamps and minimal writing on the cover, that spray/stain is quite prominent and distracting to me.

I am a little picky in terms of selecting books (not to the degree of needing 9.6 or 9.8 copies), but I don't like tanning on the cover, cream colored pages, miswraps, or a dirty looking back cover.

So I figure if there are 12 copies of BB28 in CGC 8.0, probably half are out of the running frown.gif

johnny

Hi Mark hi.gif

Is the Lauterbach thread the one about the BB 28 that went from a CGC 8.0 to

a CGC 9.0? I remember reading something about that a while back. This makes me even more sure that I want a CGC 8.0 copy. This way I save thousands of dollars and my wife won't kill me smile.gif

johnny

That's the one.

Just remember, not all 8.0's are alike. The miscut books are already bringing lower prices than centered books and this will continue. As far as ink on the top since it does bother some people, you automatically decrease the number of people willing to purchase it from you down the road if you buy such a copy

keith

I have a question for all of you-----I am trying to put together a run of JLA from #1-40 and also BB 28-30. Looking for CGC 8.0 for JLA 1/BB28, 8.5 for #2-15 or so, and 9.0 for the rest. (but only copies that are also well centered, without stamps/stains, off-white or better pages, and etc....)

Is it just me, but I find it extremely difficult to find any copies for average "gpa" price ranges. frown.gif

I haven't found much on e-bay and the dealer sites are expensive.

Would anyone recommend or not recommend buying nice raw copies (from dealers that grade strictly) and submitting to CGC? (I would be ok with books that came back at least 8.0 or better)

thanks,

johnny

P.S.---tth2, rube 11, JLA all the way----do you have any undercopies for sale?? smile.gif

Would anyone recommend or not recommend buying nice raw copies (from dealers that grade strictly) and submitting to CGC? (I would be ok with books that came back at least 8.0 or better)

thanks,

johnny

If you've got the time and the patience, and are confident in your ability to grade AND detect restoration, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. It's probably less likely that decent copies of B&B 28-30 and JLA 1 will be offered raw, but you never know.

thanks,

johnny

If you've got the time and the patience, and are confident in your ability to grade AND detect restoration, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. It's probably less likely that decent copies of B&B 28-30 and JLA 1 will be offered raw, but you never know.

I was able to purchase a raw 7.0 copy of B&B 28 -- so it is possible to get close -- though unless you already have a line on one of these old time collectors, any big book that a dealer comes across is likely going to get slabbed OR you are going to be charged close to the CGC price anyway...

Yes, I would agree with Tim -- but keep in mind that the price disparity on a major key isn't going to be that great. You'd basically have to buy a copy that was under graded by the dealer to save real money. But if I was a collector with a 9.0 JLA 1 I'd be sure I'd slab it before I sold it.