• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you price Restored books?

22 posts in this topic

I just bought my first Restored book (only because this book almost never hits the market, so I jumped on it). Do most Restored books go for a certain percentage of the unrestored price (1/2?, 1/3?, 1/4? etc.) or does it simply depend on the particular book? The Guide value for this book in 8.0 is $1120 (although I think it would really go for a whole lot more). I bought a Restored 8.0 for $500. A good deal?

The value I would say is somewhere between its original grade and its apparent grade, and how close toward one end or the other is determined by many factors.

If it was restored because of a microdot of glue or touch touch, then you got a great deal. If it was a so-called frankenbook, recreated from the ashes, then it's a question.

I don't think there is any perfect formula, though Overstreet's formula used to be the best attempt I'd seen because it took into account what the book was worth in its previous grade.

The things to take into account are what it's fair market value is in the original grade, paying particular attention to how nice an appearance it had, whether it was nearly a VF except for one or two technical flaws easily fixed. And how little it needed to get fixed. And whether what was done is reversible.

And very importantly, I think it helps (or may help in the future) if the work is completely documented, preferably with before and after pictures. The biggest factor for me is DOUBT.

If youi have no doubts and you know what happened to a book, you can judge accordingly. But if you don't, then you're basing it on guesswork and that is whatyou;ll have to pass on to any furture owner.