• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY HIGH GRADE CGC RUN BATMAN!!!!!

80 posts in this topic

What's truly disturbing is, in the middle of all he's facing, he's putting up freaking eBay auctions and dealing and visiting Cons.. what in god's name is this guy thinking.

Do a search on his previous posts. The guy was posting in here shortly before...and not long after...his arrest. You'd think someone facing a possible 25 year prison sentence would have other things on his mind besides this forum. foreheadslap.gif

What's truly disturbing is, in the middle of all he's facing, he's putting up freaking eBay auctions and dealing and visiting Cons.. what in god's name is this guy thinking.

Do a search on his previous posts. The guy was posting in here shortly before...and not long after...his arrest. You'd think someone facing a possible 25 year prison sentence would have other things on his mind besides this forum. foreheadslap.gif

Yeah right before it spilled out he out takeit.gif on these forums for a few Conans. screwy.gif

Time to make this story a little more interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So. last Monday I came across these books:

Batman 231 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded! Neal Adams Cover!

Batman 249 CGC 9.8 Highest Graded! White Pages

Batman 252 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded! White Pages!

Batman 253 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded! White Pgs Kaluta

Batman 254 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded White Pg 100 Pg Giant

Batman 255 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded Neal Adams Giant

Batman 256 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded 100 Pg Giant

Batman 257 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded White Pg 100 Pg Giant

Batman 258 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded 100 Pg Giant

Batman 260 CGC 9.6 Highest Graded Joker Cv 100 Pg Giant

Batman 261 CGC 9.8 Highest Graded White Pg 100 Pg Giant

Batman 262 CGC 9.8 Highest Graded Giant Scarecrow

I contacted the seller: eBay info lists as "Lou Assarig" in Jackson, NJ. I have a phone number if anyone who got taken needs it!

After discussing the books above as well as a few others, we came to terms on price. I was to send the monies to him on Friday. He DIDN'T want PayPal. Later on I drafted up a sales agreement with the terms. I spoke with "Lou" on Thursday and all appeared well... he was going to end the auctions. I then received an email asking where the books were to be shipped, I provided info and then got another with shipping quotes. After about 6PM pst, I began to wonder what the heck was going on as only a few auctions were ended! I tried calling and emailing several times with no answer. We all know what happened to these books... they were shilled up! I thought he was weary of ending and decided to shill them. confused-smiley-013.gif

Friday: Called and emailed several times with no response! I was pissed! I wrote to him stating that by him agreeing and responding to terms in writing (email) that we had an agreement! Nothing...

I then started to read these posts and thought to myself that I shouldn't be sending anything! I didn't smile.gif

Anyways, I spent 6 hours all together on the phone with this *spoon*! I have a VOIP system for business that records all calls.. so I do have proof! He was telling me that he had 260-300 and we were going to discuss all of those after this deal went through... I guess that won't be happening!

REDHOOK: I'd be interested in knowing if any of this came up in your conversations with him. He seemed to be genuine,but I was a little hesitant on sending the amount of money with no way of protecting myself!

I thank all off you who posted about this skid... you saved me a bunch!!!

John thumbsup2.gif

Hi Johnny,

No my conversation with Ron can only be described as a general one. We certainly didn't discuss the auctions....not being a Batman fan I wasn't really even paying attention to the details of them. I'm just now catching up on the story of them.

All I can say is that we ran into each other and I introduced myself to Ron, as I had not met him before. He said he was feeling very persona non grata, and felt he was being ignored by both fellow collectors and dealers who had previously been quite friendly. He didn't mention anyone specifically.

He said he had definitely been banned from the boards and was frustrated he could not return pms.

I asked how he was doing, he said he was just fine. It seemed like whatever legal problems he was facing were on hold, and that he was kind of in limbo. He seemed pretty glum to me, and fairly resigned to the fact that he was just going to have to deal with whatever came down the pike.

We did walk past one dealer (who for the life of me I can't recall - a longtime dealer who was heavy into Mile Highs and who holds auctions periodically - said he sold lot of books to Jerry Buss (LA Laker owner), and Ron, he and I talked for some minutes. After that we just parted. Nothing earth-shattering. Sorry I can't clarify anything else for you.

Red

Thanks Red.

I was just curious as to whether or not the seller was infact Ron M. The eBay info suggests otherwise and I thought that if it was infact Ron, that he may have mentioned something. Whomever I was speaking with, was quite inquisitive about the boards.

Is there any "proof" that this seller is indeed Ron M???

As I stated, all info suggests otherwise. And yes, I do know that it is easy to come up with a bogus name for eBay. Just curious is all...

Again, thanks Red!

John confused-smiley-013.gif

Is there any "proof" that this seller is indeed Ron M???

John confused-smiley-013.gif

... gossip.gif...E-Bay ID history,... linkage

That's why I love this place! hail.gif

Thanks Rocketeer smile.gif The first one is the email adress I have been dealing with...

It's a shame really! I guess he needs funds for his legal matters. Thankfully he won't be getting them from me!

Again, if anyone was screwed by this con, I have info for you if you need it!

John thumbsup2.gif

Hi Johnny,

No my conversation with Ron can only be described as a general one. We certainly didn't discuss the auctions....not being a Batman fan I wasn't really even paying attention to the details of them. I'm just now catching up on the story of them.

All I can say is that we ran into each other and I introduced myself to Ron, as I had not met him before. He said he was feeling very persona non grata, and felt he was being ignored by both fellow collectors and dealers who had previously been quite friendly. He didn't mention anyone specifically.

He said he had definitely been banned from the boards and was frustrated he could not return pms.

I asked how he was doing, he said he was just fine. It seemed like whatever legal problems he was facing were on hold, and that he was kind of in limbo. He seemed pretty glum to me, and fairly resigned to the fact that he was just going to have to deal with whatever came down the pike.

We did walk past one dealer (who for the life of me I can't recall - a longtime dealer who was heavy into Mile Highs and who holds auctions periodically - said he sold lot of books to Jerry Buss (LA Laker owner), and Ron, he and I talked for some minutes. After that we just parted. Nothing earth-shattering. Sorry I can't clarify anything else for you.

Red

I was going to comment in my Market Report... but... I also ran into Ron while I was with Harry (Burntboy). Truthfully, there wasn't much that I could say. As a former prosecutor, I think he could have guessed how I would have felt about the entire situation. There would have been no sense in causing a scene on the convention floor unless he did something that warranted it, and he did not. He mentioned that he was a pariah, and it seemed to me as if he was fishing for commentary on that subject.

He did mention the record prices he achieved for his DCs and I just congratulated him and wished him luck on his sales. The bottom line is that Ron can work out his problems -- but the fact of the matter is, it is far too serious for any of us to take a chance with someone who has been previously convicted for sexually based offenses. The problem is that it's not a speculation -- rather it's a matter of recorded fact. I'm sure there's another side to the story, but I think the attitude of many dealers/collectors is simply -- why take the chance?

I wish Johnny best of luck with his future dealings and am glad you avoided any problems. He did not mention any problems with those transactions, so unfortunately, I can't add much more. But they apparently were indeed his books.

He said he was feeling very persona non grata, and felt he was being ignored by both fellow collectors and dealers who had previously been quite friendly.

foreheadslap.gif Amazing how people's attitudes toward you will change if it turns out you're being indicted for rape! Is he genuinely surprised?

Had not realized that CGC had banned him, but kudos to them for doing so! thumbsup2.gif

He seemed pretty glum to me, and fairly resigned to the fact that he was just going to have to deal with whatever came down the pike.

Glum is probably the understatement of the year. In my list of things I would NOT like to be, being an ex-cop incarcerated in a maximum security prison would rank pretty high.

He said he was feeling very persona non grata, and felt he was being ignored by both fellow collectors and dealers who had previously been quite friendly.

foreheadslap.gif Amazing how people's attitudes toward you will change if it turns out you're being indicted for rape! Is he genuinely surprised?

Had not realized that CGC had banned him, but kudos to them for doing so! thumbsup2.gif

He seemed pretty glum to me, and fairly resigned to the fact that he was just going to have to deal with whatever came down the pike.

Glum is probably the understatement of the year. In my list of things I would NOT like to be, being an ex-cop incarcerated in a maximum security prison would rank pretty high.

You'd think he would be more concerned about the charges he's facing rather then whats happening on a comics message board. yeahok.gif

You'd think he would be more concerned about the charges he's facing rather then whats happening on a comics message board. yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif There's that too!

at the risk of being melodramatic and insensitive, i think even people like him would like to have friends. the fact that he had made a number of positive relationships here that had to end would probably weigh heavy on his heart, irrespective of the rest of what's going on in his life.

to which i say, i'm kind of glad that he's not able to be here. if that upsets him, then perhaps there might be a chance for him to reflect on his past actions and the end results that affected him in a negative way, outside of the criminal justice system. with the end result being a sea change in him.

i mean, he could be innocent of the current charges. not making a statement one way or the other about the likelihood of same, but there you have it. things like this really make me examine my own belief system regarding second chances. i'm leaning toward the idea that certain behaviours eliminate the possibility of a second chance, and that once someone commits a certain type of act, his second chance only comes in the hereafter, and not on this mortal plane...but i'm not yet able to be as certain about that as some, i suppose

Who's to say he doesn't? Just asking.

Let me put it this way, if i had just gotten out on bail, and possibly facing 25 years in jail, the last thing on my mind would be running back to the boards to buy comics... but thats just me confused-smiley-013.gif

Or, you might be in serious need of a diversion from some pretty serious stuff headed your way. Who the heck knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

Bottom line is, it's pretty futile to try to deconstruct what's going on.

Who's to say he doesn't? Just asking.

Let me put it this way, if i had just gotten out on bail, and possibly facing 25 years in jail, the last thing on my mind would be running back to the boards to buy comics... but thats just me confused-smiley-013.gif

Or, you might be in serious need of a diversion from some pretty serious stuff headed your way. Who the heck knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

Bottom line is, it's pretty futile to try to deconstruct what's going on.

Thats all fine and dandy, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and being a woman, i have absolutely no sympathy for a person who could do such a despicable thing.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not saying your feelings are unjustified, I'm just pointing out that to presume to know what someone else's psychological priorities are in a situation like this is impossible.

Don't construe anything I've posted as sympathy. Yes, you're a woman...and I'm a father with two teenage daughters, a brother with a sister, and a husband with a wife.

All I've done is report the conversation I had along with some very general observations. I think one of the reasons the banning wasn't publicized by the mods was because they (correctly) realized that speculation on topics like this really doesn't belong on a comic book chatboard.

Brad